Why is it always a 1965!? Well...

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My son complains consistently, when he finds 1965 quarters and dimes. "Only ONE YEAR OFF!" he exclaims!

I keep trying to explain to him, that one year or ten, it doesn't matter. The reason the 1965s are showing up is because they're NOT silver. They get left in circulation on purpose. I've even pointed out that he simply throws his 1965 into the jar to be banked like the rest of the clad (thus, placing it BACK into circulation), but it doesn't seem to matter. "It's only ONE YEAR OFF!"

He makes me laugh.

It either IS silver, or it is NOT silver. There's none of this, "SOOOOOoooo close!" stuff. :)

I don't think he'll ever understand though, because the idea that it's just ONE YEAR OFF, absolutely, without a doubt, KILLS HIM. Ha!

-Skippy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last dime was a 67, it was only 3 years from silver!!! There has been two major spikes in silver price since the 60's. Back when the Hunt Brothers were messing with the market, and this last time which I still think it was someone messing with the futures market. Lots of stuff got melted during those times. Theres silver out there though, everytime you hunt the chances of finding some gets better and better.

I don't know about that. (Someone messing with the futures). I looked up the demand for silver last year (to see what happened during those years). There WAS a lot of demand. Industrial was up, jewelry was about flat, but mostly it was in the "Exchange Traded Metals" funds. Demand for those funds was driving the price up, creating more demand for the funds.

Sure hurt a lot of folks buying silver ounces at $40 a pop... All those folks yelling "FIAT CURRENCY WON'T LAST! PUT YOUR MONEY IN SILVER!" Ummm... Yeah. It may be true, but it sure wasn't a great investment move at the height of silver price...

Skippy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread