Why would buried treasure be abandoned ?

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep.. Not just the forest.. I had a mate that told me there was a box of money/treasure buried somewhere in his garden but he cannot find it. The story was he was really drunk one night (may of been other substances involved also) and got a panic attack and buried his stash in his Garden. He forgot he had done it and months later when he remembered he had done this (while looking for the stash) he could not remember where abouts in the garden he buried it.

As far as I know he is still looking.....

Did a similar thing without Alcohol involved. Buried a clad quarter at 12" to test my detector left it in the yard thinking I would dig it up later. Fast forward 6 months and a home reno project, remove trees, etc... and still haven't found it. It's only a quarter but its also 15' from my house you would think I could locate it... Problem is I counted 12 steps from a tree and then removed the tree and build an addition where the tree was.

Tom Slikes53

Jul 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did a similar thing without Alcohol involved. Buried a clad quarter at 12" to test my detector left it in the yard thinking I would dig it up later. Fast forward 6 months and a home reno project, remove trees, etc... and still haven't found it. It's only a quarter but its also 15' from my house you would think I could locate it... Problem is I counted 12 steps from a tree and then removed the tree and build an addition where the tree was.

Your detector couldn't pick it up at that depth,either now or when you buried it ? If so I suppose it would be hard to find a quarter buried at 12 inches

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the Vaquero is super tuned it would hit the quarter at 12" and did but that's pushing it. (In my experience)
When it warms up I'll find it...maybe

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
12 inches is a bit rough for many detectors. Add to the fact that during the construction of the addition it's possible more soil accumulated where the quarter was. I hate to admit this, but I lost a silver dime at 5 inches down for awhile. My Safari would not detect it and there's nothing wrong with the Safari either as I had it checked. The conclusion I came to was possibly due to soil mineralization in conjunction with electrical interference subtracting from my depth ability. I eventually found it by stripping away a few inches of soil on top for several square feet around and then it detected it. My goal was only to recover the dime at that point. A clad quarter is not as big of a loss.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Twinkle...Twinkle..Little Stars...Show Us Where These Treasures...Are!

the stars overhead could provide a precise location of the treasure ?

Freemason's Celestial Map Fall Equinox 2017.jpg

Maverick1

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
Phx AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
1. The person/s who buried the treasure died
2. The person/s who buried the treasure were imprisoned/stopped from returning to where they buried the treasure
3. The location of the treasure was lost
4. The treasure was actually lost/dropped/building collapsed/burnt/left over from battle etc and no one new there was treasure there
5. What was buried was not that valuable at the time and has become very valuable later. The original buryier did not bother to recover it
6. The treasure was never meant to be recovered for some reason maybe spite/fear/religious belief etc
7. The treasure was buried with someone for their afterlife (ie the pyramids)

Of the above reasons (feel free to add more to the list) i

#1 thru #7 very possible. Number 8 however, it’s the best explanation,
#8.... Alzheimer

(after many years of frustration and trying to give said directions to “who are you”?, and “why do you look so familiar” ok, go about 30...no, 300...but not sure, ...I got to pee,... and who are you again? Oh, that.....well, I just like that story....)

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one possibility why, at some point between 20 and 170 ft your going to need more then one person (or a crew of people) to recover it ? One person just can't get the idea to take it themselves
This to me is the only "plausible theory" that has been put forward as to who built the pit (for sake of discussion) That is a version of both Fred and Dans theory that saw English military engineers as the ones responsible for building the pit. That the treasure was loot from the Spanish on the way to Halifax. A rouge General/admiral diverted a ship and buried the treasure. It was done so deep with flood tunnels etc so one/few of the crew could not come back and get it themselves as it would take a team with engineers to dig it back up.

THE PROBLEM with this theory though is that there is NO WAY did the General not come back and get his treasure. It would not of been abandoned under this scenario. To many people knew it was there. So if the pit was dug by UK military/naval engineers it was recovered by those people and is empty….

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
What is in a "Name"?

So if the pit was dug by UK military/naval engineers it was recovered by those people and is empty….

UK Naval...Alias...Freemasons!

williamshakespeare1-2x (1).jpg

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This to me is the only "plausible theory" that has been put forward as to who built the pit (for sake of discussion) That is a version of both Fred and Dans theory that saw English military engineers as the ones responsible for building the pit. That the treasure was loot from the Spanish on the way to Halifax. A rouge General/admiral diverted a ship and buried the treasure. It was done so deep with flood tunnels etc so one/few of the crew could not come back and get it themselves as it would take a team with engineers to dig it back up.

THE PROBLEM with this theory though is that there is NO WAY did the General not come back and get his treasure. It would not of been abandoned under this scenario. To many people knew it was there. So if the pit was dug by UK military/naval engineers it was recovered by those people and is empty….

gazzahk: What pit are you referring to? There's certainly never been a "money pit" or any other hole of enormous magnitude on hoax island other than the ones the unsuccessful searchers dug. Its safe to assume you are talking about a real hole somewhere else in the world.... :occasion14:

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gazzahk: What pit are you referring to? There's certainly never been a "money pit" or any other hole of enormous magnitude on hoax island other than the ones the unsuccessful searchers dug. Its safe to assume you are talking about a real hole somewhere else in the world.... :occasion14:
This thread is just for the sake of discussion. I do not believe it actually happened. Just discussing the theoretical possibilities of a treasure being buried at 170+ft. Which as I said in the above post are not even plausible...

No one would of abandoned such treasure they had spent so much time hiding. So even if in theory treasure was buried it would not still be there.. So looking is pointless even if the legend is true...

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(For speculation/discussion purposes) I find the Laginas Knights Templar preferred speculations to be lacking in theoretical plausibility.

Firstly all the dates they have found of any of the earlier wood they have analyzed is much later then the dates they speculate that the KT arrived and buried treasure on OI.

They offer zero in way of a plausible reason for the KT burying one of the most significant treasure hoards in human history and then just abandoning it.

The only of the abandoning explanations that would apply form my list would be that they all died after burying the treasure. There entire fleet was sunk.

However they put forward claimed evidence that the KT retuned to Europe after the treasure was buried (Wacko ladies map with money pit marked on it and KT name on map), Corn shaped pictures in some old church, That some poor Knight carved the shape of his favorite lead cross that he dropped on OI into his prison cell wall with his teeth.

There is also the alleged evidence of KT on OI ie the KT cross carved into the piece of rock that was blown up by previous searchers. Why would anyone hiding treasure on an island leave heaps of evidence that they had been there. Ie carvings in rocks, Nolans cross etc if they did not want anyone to know they had been there?

The biggest (of many) problems with the theoretical possibility of the KT explanation is once again why would they bury such a treasure just to abandon it and never return.
There is not a logically consistent answer to this is my view…

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
My major problem is as to why bury it 20' - 170' or deeper ?
To me, 10-20 feet should have been more than plenty.

This.

one possibility why, at some point between 20 and 170 ft your going to need more then one person (or a crew of people) to recover it ? One person just can't get the idea to take it themselves

A good point, except that there was lifting gear, wood platforms, a cipher stone, and all sorts of other crap allegedly discovered that would indicate to a single person that there was something worth digging for, and thus more people should be recruited when it wasn't found at a shallow depth.

If the right person was there to dig it up, they wouldn't need a lot of hints. They certainly wouldn't need a cipher stone at 70 feet. If the wrong person was there, they wouldn't even dig in the first place if there wasn't a compelling reason to do so. Why leave one?

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They certainly wouldn't need a cipher stone at 70 feet.
Very good point. The only reason you would put this is if you were giving directions to someone else that had not been there when the treasure was buried. It really makes little theoretical sense why a treasure hider would put this stone at 70 feet.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
In my one cell brain I keep wondering about the depth. "IF" they did bury something, the deeper they buried it the longer it would take to manually dig. The longer it took, the greater the chance of maybe a passing by ship could spot them and come and investigate. They would not want any undo attention. If a ship dropped off a crew and later returned to pick them up "might" make some sense ? If what was being buried was that valuable that it needed to be buried so deep then one might wonder if the whole crew was told or just a handful. The more that knew, the greater the chances are for someone to take off on their own. They could have easily found a captain and a crew at some port that would be interested and up for the challenge. But then whose to say that didn't happen anyway ?

Tom Slikes53

Jul 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my one cell brain I keep wondering about the depth. "IF" they did bury something, the deeper they buried it the longer it would take to manually dig. The longer it took, the greater the chance of maybe a passing by ship could spot them and come and investigate. They would not want any undo attention. If a ship dropped off a crew and later returned to pick them up "might" make some sense ? If what was being buried was that valuable that it needed to be buried so deep then one might wonder if the whole crew was told or just a handful. The more that knew, the greater the chances are for someone to take off on their own. They could have easily found a captain and a crew at some port that would be interested and up for the challenge. But then whose to say that didn't happen anyway ?

if it is buried some 150 ft deep, which always sounded ridiculous to me. Humans are capable of doing that much digging in the course of looking for something, mining ? Could burying something so deep been an after thought... like, we dug this hole and found the mineral we were looking for, now we have this treasure we need hiding, a long shot but I just can't fathom someone setting out to bury a treasure that deep.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it is buried some 150 ft deep, which always sounded ridiculous to me. Humans are capable of doing that much digging in the course of looking for something, mining ? Could burying something so deep been an after thought... like, we dug this hole and found the mineral we were looking for, now we have this treasure we need hiding, a long shot but I just can't fathom someone setting out to bury a treasure that deep.
There are few real fundamental problems with the basic theory of treasure buried on OI (I know there are many more actual problems). Given that it would take a reasonably sized group of people to have done what the legend speculates they are meant to have done.

1. Why would some group of people bury something that deep in the first place.
2. Why would they leave deliberate evidence of where they had buried the treasure.
3. Why would they abandon the treasure never to return and get it.

The more I have read about Oak Island and all the searches over the years it is so difficult to understand why anyone ever thought any treasure was actually buried in the pit at those depths. 170+ foot is getting near the same height as a 20 story building straight down. You just need to look at a building this height to picture the depth the legend is speculating this group dug.

There has been zero evidence ever found of treasure (other then the claim of the descendants but that had the treasure at 10ft).

The Laginas must of spent millions now investigating the theory and have found NOTHING. I really do not understand how anyone can still believe this legend. I fail to understand really how anyone did believe it enough to commit time and money to trying to recover the theorized treasure with the complete lack of evidence treasure existed and the complete lack of any plausible theory on why treasure would still be there..

It is an amazing story and I do thank the Laginas for showing us all the unbelievable level of folly that a 'hint' of treasure can cause..... Oak Island if nothing else is an amazing story....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread