OP
OP
Dano Sverige

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Re: Why Yanks hate Brit's!

Lol,yeah the Britain v USA threads always end up like this as some people just can't help stirring the pot,and then some people can't help responding! Usually from the Brit side ...it's me, so i can't complain too much! We are the best of allies as you rightly said,but boys will be boys,and there's also too many trees to be peed on,human nature really,but yes it does detract from the original post sorry.

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005

I say that we broker a trade that will benefit both the US and Britian. We get the coins and you take Obama. It's a win win situation. Queen Elizabeth can have a new jester to entertain guests at the palace and we will finally have currency that is worth something. What do you think?:tongue3: ;D :laughing9:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Dano Sverige said:
@Frankn - Yeah we tend not to spend too much money on our military stuff these days.We worked out it's much cheaper to let you yanks spend it all spend it and do the protecting! :thumbsup:

@Heepie - Nothing wrong with poking fun mate,i'm the first to do it usually. It's just that using the tired same old stereotypical crap makes you seem like the usual tired same old idiots that usually come out with it! :wink:

@Relic - Drake and Morgan (not sure about Avery) were "privateers" not pirates. Piracy was a capital offence,and there's a big difference! (on paper anyway.)
Privateers were employed by all nations,including America in the war of 1812. Infact the last letters of marque allowing privateering were issued to 2 American airships in WWII...for some weird reason!
Stealing Gold and silver from the Spanish,who had just stolen it from elsewhere,isn't stealing,it's just "business"! Like taking it from Jesse James after he robbed a bank..."fair game"!
Hitting the French,Dutch,Portugese and USA, was mainly "economic warfare", cutting off supplies and sinking or capturing the much needed ships carrying them.

:angry7:

OP
OP
Dano Sverige

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II

Ah Hispan mi compadre...the Spanish stole it,same as we did in Africa,India and all over the world lol. If i go to say...Sitges, shoot everyone,load up a boat with all the cameras,travellers cheques,Euro's and jewellry, and sail it back to England and give it to the Queen....that'd be "mass murder and stealing"...right? (in spanish eyes anyhow)
If someone takes it all from me on the way home i have no right to complain...right?

Defence rests! ;D

@DiggerDave - Unfortunately,unlike the USA, we require a VALID birth certificate to gain a work permit in the UK. You keep your dull stuff and we'll keep your shiny stuff TYVM! :tongue3:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Digger ,
I thought you had a fine soultion . However , I think Dano's counter move carried the field . :laughing9:
Jim

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dano,

Yes they were privateers employed by the queen ! Makes them state sponsored pirates :laughing7:. Hey we all know the history of England and Spain and what they have done all over the world. Spain and England had one hell of a naval force and what good is it if you do not use it :icon_pirat: . The museums in England are proof of how superior their naval forces :icon_pirat: were ;D.

OP
OP
Dano Sverige

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used

Privateers were a large part of the total military force at sea during the 17th and 18th centuries. During the King George's War, approximately 36,000 Americans served aboard privateers at one time or another.

During the American Revolution, the American government issued privateering licenses to merchant captains during the Revolutionary War due to the relatively small number of commissioned American naval vessels. State governments also authorized privateers or "legal piracy" in an effort to take prizes from the British Navy and Tory (Loyalist) privateers.
American privateers are thought to have seized up to 300 British ships.

During the War of 1812, the British attacked Essex, Connecticut, and burned the ships in the harbor, due to the construction of a number of privateers. This was the greatest financial loss of the entire War of 1812 suffered by the Americans.

So you see...You Americans were in the thick of it yourselves. It's just that we tried to hit treasure ships more than anything! :tongue3:

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dano Sverige said:
Privateers were a large part of the total military force at sea during the 17th and 18th centuries. During the King George's War, approximately 36,000 Americans served aboard privateers at one time or another.

During the American Revolution, the American government issued privateering licenses to merchant captains during the Revolutionary War due to the relatively small number of commissioned American naval vessels. State governments also authorized privateers or "legal piracy" in an effort to take prizes from the British Navy and Tory (Loyalist) privateers.
American privateers are thought to have seized up to 300 British ships.

During the War of 1812, the British attacked Essex, Connecticut, and burned the ships in the harbor, due to the construction of a number of privateers. This was the greatest financial loss of the entire War of 1812 suffered by the Americans.

So you see...You Americans were in the thick of it yourselves. It's just that we tried to hit treasure ships more than anything! :tongue3:

Lol .... :laughing7: :laughing7:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm have British quarter fin and quarter Italian I wish i could hunt over there with a metal detector ... do they have gold deposits over their as well if they do ....all bring my sluice...and pan....

OP
OP
Dano Sverige

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used

There are no real natural deposits of gold of any significance in any of those countries that i know of.

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other

Isn't there gold in Wales Dano? The Welsh gold is used to make the wedding rings for members of the Royal family. I don't think there are huge deposits though.

U.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Unicorn said:
Isn't there gold in Wales Dano? The Welsh gold is used to make the wedding rings for members of the Royal family. I don't think there are huge deposits though.

U.
There's Gold in a lot of the Rivers in England :P but I doubt you would make a living recovering it :laughing9:...mind you thinking about it now :icon_scratch: I wonder were the Ancient Celts got there Gold for Making those huge Torcs and Gold coins :dontknow:

SS

OP
OP
Dano Sverige

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used

Makes ya think don't it SS mate? lol. I know there's always gold flakes etc in most rivers/streams everywhere,but as you said,not worth detecting/panning for. Same goes for Unicorns Welsh gold.I seem to recall that tale too,but think it's from just one mine,there's not a lot lying around in the ground like nuggets like Liftloop would be after...was my point. :)

I know the vikings always brought back silver from Britain and elsewhere.Even today when i look at Swedes on the beaches they all tend to prefer silver over Gold. (apart from wedding/engagement rings). Maybe the Celts imported or traded for gold...dunno mate.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dano Sverige said:
Makes ya think don't it SS mate? lol. I know there's always gold flakes etc in most rivers/streams everywhere,but as you said,not worth detecting/panning for. Same goes for Unicorns Welsh gold.I seem to recall that tale too,but think it's from just one mine,there's not a lot lying around in the ground like nuggets like Liftloop would be after...was my point. :)

I know the vikings always brought back silver from Britain and elsewhere.Even today when i look at Swedes on the beaches they all tend to prefer silver over Gold. (apart from wedding/engagement rings). Maybe the Celts imported or traded for gold...dunno mate.
I know the Celts traded Weapons, and used the Gold for a more ritual use, although the Gold was also used in slave trading, so I guess most of it came from Europe along with outher imported goods. The Beverly Stater Hoard was believed to be associated with the slave trade :o

SS

SS

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Give me 3-4 years and I will be living over there but I don't know if you guys will leave any thing left in the ground. :laughing7:
All I want is one silver roman and one gold coin. Thats all... :icon_sunny: and some good pub time.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There's natural gold down the whole west of the country from Scotland in the north, down through North and South Wales and even Southern England in North Devon. There's been several gold rushes in the last three hundred years.

The major source of gold was Ireland pre the Roman invasion of Britain. Strabo listed Britains principle exports at the time as corn, cattle, gold, silver and iron followed by hides, slaves and clever hunting dogs.

OP
OP
Dano Sverige

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used

Thanks Brian. Just goes to show how much i know about the UK and Gold...zilch! :laughing9:

Birdman - It never ceases to amaze me just how much Roman coinage is found and dug up on a weekly basis! I often wonder if coins wern't heated in a fire first before being given to Roman soldiers because they appear to have dropped most of them just as quick as if they had been!
The amount that is found suggests the Romans never left Britian,they just starved to death through having lost all their money! lol.
Others are better placed to say this,because i've never detected in the UK as yet. I took up detecting only 1½ years ago and was already living here in Sweden then, but from what i read and see on the UK forums etc,most of the Roman coinage consists of copper,bronze and silver. The "Gold" usually comes in the form of Celtic gold staters.

I doubt there's any worry that there'll be none left for you to find. If you were to go out and bury a thousand dollars in your back garden,you wouldn't only dig 12 inches down...right? You'd dig a couple of feet at least,and i guess the Romans (and most everyone else) did the same. It can take many many years for the plough to skim away enough soil to get down to a stash and start dragging up coins and spreading them around for us to find. Hopefully you can get onto fields in a good Roman area...and your wishes will come true! :thumbsup:

Failing all this...just go and buy some the Brit's have dug already on Ebay! :laughing9:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dano Sverige said:
Thanks Brian. Just goes to show how much i know about the UK and Gold...zilch! :laughing9:

Birdman - It never ceases to amaze me just how much Roman coinage is found and dug up on a weekly basis! I often wonder if coins wern't heated in a fire first before being given to Roman soldiers because they appear to have dropped most of them just as quick as if they had been!
The amount that is found suggests the Romans never left Britian,they just starved to death through having lost all their money! lol.
Others are better placed to say this,because i've never detected in the UK as yet. I took up detecting only 1½ years ago and was already living here in Sweden then, but from what i read and see on the UK forums etc,most of the Roman coinage consists of copper,bronze and silver. The "Gold" usually comes in the form of Celtic gold staters.

I doubt there's any worry that there'll be none left for you to find. If you were to go out and bury a thousand dollars in your back garden,you wouldn't only dig 12 inches down...right? You'd dig a couple of feet at least,and i guess the Romans (and most everyone else) did the same. It can take many many years for the plough to skim away enough soil to get down to a stash and start dragging up coins and spreading them around for us to find. Hopefully you can get onto fields in a good Roman area...and your wishes will come true! :thumbsup:

Failing all this...just go and buy some the Brit's have dug already on Ebay! :laughing9:
Well the Roman leigonaries wer'nt exactally short of a bob or two :laughing9: proberbly liked getting pi$$ed on a Friday night around the camp fire, and lost most of there Money playing cards :laughing9:

From the time of Gaius Marius onwards, legionaries received 225 denarii a year (equal to 900 Sestertii); this basic rate remained unchanged until Domitian, who increased it to 300 denarii. In spite of the steady inflation during the 2nd century, there was no further rise until the time of Septimius Severus, who increased it to 500 denarii a year. However, the soldiers did not receive all the money in cash, as the state deducted their pay with a clothing and food tax. To this wage, a legionary on active campaign would hope to add the booty of war, from the bodies of their enemies and as plunder from enemy settlements. Slaves could also be claimed from the prisoners of war and divided amongst the legion for later selling, which would bring in a sizeable supplement to their regular pay.

All legionary soldiers would also receive a sizeable sum of money on the completion of their term of service: 3000 denarii from the time of Augustus and/or a plot of good farmland (good land was in much demand). Later, under Caracalla, the praemia increased to 5000 denarii.

SS

OP
OP
Dano Sverige

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used

Any idea how much Vikings were paid? ;D

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

Dano Sverige said:
Any idea how much Vikings were paid? ;D

More than plasterers :laughing7: