Under your feet??

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you ever wonder when out metal detecting whats under your feet? Could there be things that you really do not want to be exposed to? The air base i have been detecting is notorious for being polluted with God knows what.The water in the area has been tested and its polluted with a number of chemicals. Yesterday heavy earthmovers were preparing the ground for more buildings.I talked to the supervisor and told him that not all of the underground bunkers were found on the base.Hammer Field was known for storage for chemical weapons and oldtimers tell me the Army buried it out there. :o Be carefull when your metal detecting you never know whats under your feet. 8) AA

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
The only toxicity I worry about concerning my feet....is when I remove my shoes :o

If it's in the ground, it's in the air or water, so odds are you'd already ingested/absorbed some of it. May never know until you grow that 3rd arm or glow in the dark....

Smitty

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Someday they will come out with some crazy study that "proves" use of a metal detector for prolonged periods of time causes cancer. At least we'll die having fun!

Smiles!
BDoo

Jim West Pa

Aug 14, 2007
Mamont Pa.
Detector(s) used
DFX
Geesh, it's a no brainer as to what is REALLY under our feets. Jist watch the episode of the Simpsons.."Boy in the well". Heck, they even show ya a pictorial timeline of it all. ;D

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
that's actually a very good point another being if we are exposed to such risks who should be held liable us as detectorists for getting exposed in the first place or the various Governmental health and safety departments an interesting thought

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is my urge of metal detecting supersedes the risk of harmfull chemicals.A little over three years ago i walked into a Meth Lab dump and didnt know until it was to late.As far as the air base its my problem not the government but they are taking their time cleaning it up. 8) aa

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
I don't need to be concerned at present aa...the ground here is still hard as concrete :o Don't think much could work it's way thru that stuff and attack me. If we ever get some good steady rains, it'll be a different story ;D

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have 3 nuclear weapons plants nearby that were built when WWII started. One place we had been hunting is right behind Robertsville Junior High School in Oak Ridge, Tenn. It seems a lot of BAD stuff had leaked out and was carried down stream by the small creek that runs through one of the plants. I guess the fish lying on their side all along the creek was a dead giveaway, lol...They tested the soil all along the creek and found the kids at the school had been playing on contaminated soil. I've dug many a hole there too. They had to bring fill dirt and cover it up so the kids wouldn't be exposed to it anymore. They have signs all along the creek now that says no water contact and no fishing. I caught fish in that creek for years before that happened. Our rivers are contaminated by these plants and a lot of places there's signs in a lot of places to not eat the catfish. A lot of weird cancers kill a lot of people here too. Enough of the depressing thoughts. You all have a good one.

DANGLANGLEY

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
South of here a town had alot of cancer cases and they found pesticides illegally dumped from a manufacture.You might remember the movie Erin Brocovich it told the story of this town. Mc Farland California. aa

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
In goldsboro NC, where I grew up, a B52 bomber blew up in mid air releasing 2 24megaton nuclear war heads over the swamp where we all played, they only found one bomb, the other ones is still MIA and the one they found, 5 of the 6 arming triggers had been released......like you say..you never know whats underneath (look this story up on the net for details__

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions