Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
Re: Wireless headphones

I have a pair of AirHeadz wireless, work great, BUT they cost me $400,00, They also come with a cord, if wanted.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

kellyco used to sell a set. radio shack sell a set too

DGDancer

Jan 13, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, DFX, GP3000

Been looking around at this type of set up myself and am testing a set now. Depending on
how electronicaly adept you are *I work on electronics* anything can be modified and if
it breaks I suggest dont trash it just rework the connections *wires* as this is most often why
these devices stop working.

Few things of note:
You may not find anything cheap~ Radio Shack is discontinued its 2.4ghz Wireless headsets
from what I've been told at the local Shack. Though you may find some online still
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2255017
but you may want to read the product reviews on Cnet about them.

If you are looking for something that is bluetooth I would not bother as there are signal lag
problems with the ones I've found that might be compatable. Has to do with the processors
so you dont have a very good real time feed. Best bet is to look at the 2.4 ghz wireless models
for real time audio.

Battery life is an issue with all wireless and you may not have anything that goes for more than 8 hours.
Review the product spec sheets to find out what range of activity you are aiming for. I marathon
alot *8 hours plus* but I'm willing to sacrafice some time. I'll keep my headphones in the car for backup.

All the transmitters that you can jack in are 1/8 jacks so if you get one pick up a 1/8 to 1/4 audio jack
adapter~ they are cheap~ and if you dont plan on using the transmitter in your walkman secure it
to the adapter with a little tape to preserve the connection.

What am I testing?
The Shack just got some in AUVIO product number 33-284 *no I'm not endorsing or selling just reporting*
that are working out ok. They are an earbug type that you charge via a usb connection. Ran me
about a hundred bucks. Not to many out there that are less than 80 dollars. The transmitter is very small
and attached to the jack adapter does not stick out to far. I'm running it on my DFX and it sits right up
under the arm rest quite nicely. The earbugs can be a bit of a problem but I plan on fixing this by mounting
them on a hair bow, or if I can find them, a behind the head U clip to keep them seated in my ears.
Box says upto 7 hours use so for my short hunts this is fine. After the warranty I'll probly upgrade
the lithium polymer battery's to something with more juice.

Also thinking after the warranty I'll probly mount the clever bits in a set of headphones.
Been thinking about modifying my Rattlesnake headphones for a while anyhow *grin*.

Thing I liked about this set is that the transmitter has a solid jack mount and should not go bad
anytime soon. That was a problem I noted from reviews of the Radio shack unit~ it swivels and
that just means it'll break *personal note I'd love to get some of those broken units to play with*.
Its kinda difficult to find comparable units that can be worked with.

Be interested in seeing what other people come up with.

Jan 15, 10
Only issues to date with the wireless: the itty bitty on off switches on the units. Occassional poping in the audio, very minor,
when working near business's. Probly a little interference from wireless phones and the units are hopping to a clean freq.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

With out the cord, I'd prob loose the detector.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I'm using a pair I got from Radio Shack. They were recommended by someone on this or another site. Have used them on a couple different Tesoros and a fisher F5, they work well with no discernable lag time. The sound quality is fine for me although some people who use high end headphones may not like them. They have built in lithium batteries and come with a 120v charger.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Spooky said:
extractor said:
With out the cord, I'd prob loose the detector.

lolz!!!

Me too..
:icon_thumleft:

On anther note, how many people have tried to stand up with the machine on the ground, and either yanked the detector up, or about got whiplash as the cord yanks you back toward the ground?
I got that prob solved with a bunge cord from my pack to the detector. When I get up the detector comes with me.

Madmans Legend

Feb 24, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Surfmaster II, Whites TM808, Whites Amphibian 2, Bounty Hunter 505, Garrett Infinium LS, Minelab Exterra 705, Minelab CTX 3030
I am currently working on a wireless headphone circuit design. Im an electrical engineer so thats no problem for me. The biggest issue will be with designing a circuit with low power draw by the transmitter and the receiver. But since you dont need a long distance (no more than 4-5 ft) to transmit to the headphones you can keep the power draw fairly low. Also the transmit frequency should be below 1GHz as power to transmit increases as the transmit frequency increases. Ill post the schematic when Ill finish and test the project.

DGDancer

Jan 13, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, DFX, GP3000
Be interesting to see what you come up with. Most of the IC's I researched for Ghz transmission
and recieving were more expensive then just buying a set up thats on the market and simply
gutting it and moding it to work. Then there's just mounting the stuff and thats beyond most
people to do.... especially if you consider using surfboards.
A thought.

*if you are going to walk away from you detector then tie a string to it :) Doc's Swing Thingy
is my suggestion*

Still going strong with the goodies I bought though the need to charge from a usb port is irritating at times.

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
rwsnc said:
I've been using these for 2 years.. It's great not being tethered to my detector.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2255017&CAWELAID=107591945

I'm sure there are others, but these work for me and they look like they might be on sale now. I might have to pick up a back up pair, myself.
I have the identical set which I used with my dfx, bought them 2 years ago. They worked great for a month, then they started to break up and distort on the high frequencies. Like all radshak products, I just figured they had a short lifespan. ffd

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fistfulladirt said:
rwsnc said:
I've been using these for 2 years.. It's great not being tethered to my detector.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2255017&CAWELAID=107591945

I'm sure there are others, but these work for me and they look like they might be on sale now. I might have to pick up a back up pair, myself.
I have the identical set which I used with my dfx, bought them 2 years ago. They worked great for a month, then they started to break up and distort on the high frequencies. Like all radshak products, I just figured they had a short lifespan. ffd

Hum.... that's too bad. I've got two pair that I've had for a couple years and they're still working. Guess they're about due to fail... but I hope not. I like the freedom of "no cord".

DGDancer

Jan 13, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, DFX, GP3000
Looks interesting Richm~ cant see what type of transmitter is used but it does not appear to be
blue tooth so givem a go. To pricy for me. My set up works as long as those seem to
with the only real annoyance of the earbuds popping out occasionaly.

Be interesting to modify those airheads with a patch cord so they could be used if the batteries
die on a long hunt~ or ya forget to recharge them :icon_pirat:

darkkitten2000

Feb 26, 2009
Kal nad Kanalom
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, Miner4, eeTH, ETI561
Hi,
i have a bunch of FM transmitter circuit schematics, some pritty good too. 1.5V and 3V , but you would need a receiver in headphones (i.e. FM radio). The 3V circuit can be made in SMD to fit in larger plug, 500m range with 30cm antenna. Usual every day parts only, $10 project.

regards,
d.

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help us out with this? We bought the Sentry wireless from walmart and they do work, I like the concept. Only problem is with the 705 volume turned up max and the volume on the headphones turned up max we can barely hear the signal. It's there, just barely hear it.
Thought it may be the setup so bought a cheap fm wireless setup and hooked it up. Same result, picks up the signal but very faint volume.
I have tried turning the volume down on the detector THEN turning everything on, then increasing the volume on the detector but this had no effect.
God I'd really like this setup to work and seems like it will if I can figure out how to fix the volume. Any help out there???

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading this post yesterday I called RS asking about wireless headphones stock # 33-1253. They are getting ready to close them out (That's what the clerk said anyway. They were $39.95. I paid almost $60 3 years ago for my first set and they are still working. Needless to say I bought the last 2 sets.

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, it's 2014 (the last time I checked) and I'm resurrecting this thread. I have the Grey Ghost (excellent), but dislike the coiled cable that often pulls my detector onto its side.

Is there a good/proven cordless headphone with adjustable volume on each side, suitable for the Whites DFX, as an example? Your experiences please.

These appear too expensive to me http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/index.php?model=960-8025282

Last edited:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you call for the actual price?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread