Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the way it was labeled. I wish I had kept better records of my stuff.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Less surface friction when pulling the axe out of wood, ingenious idea for their time.

Odd explanation. Stone axes did not and cannot "bite" into trees or logs like a steel axe does and the stone axes never get stuck in the wood. Stone axes cannot cut down green trees they had to burn the trunks and the stone axes cut away charred wood not green wood. The charred wood would not grab the axe. The flutes are merely decorative.

Last edited:

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Odd explanation. Stone axes did not and cannot "bite" into trees or logs like a steel axe does and the stone axes never get stuck in the wood. Stone axes cannot cut down green trees they had to burn the trunks and the stone axes cut away charred wood not green wood. The charred wood would not grab the axe. The flutes are merely decorative.

This is simply not true. It's been proven over and over again that stone axes are very capable at felling trees many times over without resharpening. Having chopped a 10" diameter log in half myself, with a stone celt, I will object based on my first hand knowledge.

Here's a website that you can use to reference some great work on re-creating and using stone axes and celts. They are quite effective! megalithics home 2

Hippy

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I disagree, Stone axes completely capable of cutting green wood. I do agree that when used as an axe it would not grab much if at all, maybe it was used as a splitter? Could make sense then in my mind with how skinny it is along most of the length.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
The flutes made the ax lighter, while retaining the stiffness of the ridges to keep the ax from breaking..........

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flutes made the ax lighter, while retaining the stiffness of the ridges to keep the ax from breaking..........

like the sounds of that better, common sense.

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came here to say this. Any stone axe used was basically a chisel hafted to a handle. Nice piece!

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
There have been studies done comparing the stone ax with the iron trade ax. Depending on the size and species of the tree it could take up to three days to fell a good sized tree, that same tree could be cut down in three hours using the iron ax. Once this was known to the various tribes a virtual arms race developed in axes, knives,muskets etc, culminating in the destruction of many tribes. Irons chief quality was its malleability, when a stone ax was broke it could not be quickly repaired, an iron ax could quickly be resharpened and an iron trade point straightened and the work or hunt continued. This process of substituting iron for flint became so thorough that by 1870 the Sioux no longer had the skills to craft a point from flint. Modern technology to the Indian saved energy and produced a surplus of "Furs" to trade for more iron products. Great topic!

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been studies done comparing the stone ax with the iron trade ax. Depending on the size and species of the tree it could take up to three days to fell a good sized tree, that same tree could be cut down in three hours using the iron ax. Once this was known to the various tribes a virtual arms race developed in axes, knives,muskets etc, culminating in the destruction of many tribes. Irons chief quality was its malleability, when a stone ax was broke it could not be quickly repaired, an iron ax could quickly be resharpened and an iron trade point straightened and the work or hunt continued. This process of substituting iron for flint became so thorough that by 1870 the Sioux no longer had the skills to craft a point from flint. Modern technology to the Indian saved energy and produced a surplus of "Furs" to trade for more iron products. Great topic!

True but many of these axes are much much older than contact period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread