Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its from Milwaukee Co. Enjoy.. IMG_1780 (2).JPG

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Odd explanation. Stone axes did not and cannot "bite" into trees or logs like a steel axe does and the stone axes never get stuck in the wood. Stone axes cannot cut down green trees they had to burn the trunks and the stone axes cut away charred wood not green wood. The charred wood would not grab the axe. The flutes are merely decorative.

I've actually cut down a 4" tree with a stone axe, worked just fine. Lots of videos on YouTube of people using them. Not as fast as a chainsaw, but they worked just fine.

Burning was certainly part of the process for clearing farmland in Mississippian times, but cutting trees wasn't something they struggled to do. But, since they didn't make paper or use wood on an industrial scale, they were typically clearing thousands of acres like a lumber mill could process today.

Last edited:

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
That narrow bit seems like it could get stuck if used for splitting.

And, I’m they sure could cut down trees.

Is it ok to post this link?

OP
OP
Sunny Side

Sunny Side

Banned
Sep 15, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Food for thought and no pun intended, some of the most expensive/best culinary knives in the world are fluted just like this axe. Less surface area for wood to catch the blade. True the blade will not stick when chopping a tree DOWN (against the wood grain), but an axe will catch the wood while spitting (with the wood grain).

I believe axes we’re almost always used as wood splitters. They didn’t have to fell trees there would have been plenty of pushed over trees available. The historic Indians strapped and burned the base, this took years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread