Wish I could slap this buyer. :P

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically the situation is this: I sold an item, buyer paid & received item. Today I get this message:

"The earrings arrived today but are a lot smaller than I thought they would be.
the pictures of course made them look like they were much bigger.
I think it's best if I return them and I apologize but hopefully the next highest bidder will want to take them off your hands.
Apologies"

Here is what I want to say

"It is unfortunate that you are not satisfied with the earrings. While you may wish to return them, I am struggling to understand where the size was misrepresented. There is an accurate comparison photograph with a US dime. Also, posted in the description, are accurate details pertaining to the size and weight......"

I'm pretty sure there is nothing I can do, as I accept 14 day returns. Right? I wouldn't care if the buyer said "I don't like them, can I return them?" Sure, no problem. But to blatantly lie and say the photographs "of course made them look bigger"? I should have taken the picture two feet away instead of a macro photograph next to a dime to show size, right? Maybe next to a refrigerator would have been a better comparison. Sheesh. /end rant

On a serious note, can a buyer open a NAD case for a reason that is invalid? I am guessing it wouldn't matter and eBay would still side with them.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to mention the buyer is has a rating of 1500+ and sells fine jewelry. No idea where the size was lost in translation.

The photograph that "of course made it look bigger" from the listing.
hoop earrings.JPG

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look pretty darn small to me. Not much you can do. There is no reason for them to open a case since you accept returns. Chalk it up and relist them.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear ebay buyer, Please view the photos on a smaller smart phone instead of your 64 inch TV and the earrings will look much larger in person

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look pretty darn small to me. Not much you can do. There is no reason for them to open a case since you accept returns. Chalk it up and relist them.

Yeah.. I knew I'd have to. I just wish I could stick it to them, though. My first return and it's not even for a legitimate reason - ugh!

On a related note, guess who is the first eBay user on my blocked buyer list? 8-):skullflag:

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear ebay buyer, Please view the photos on a smaller smart phone instead of your 64 inch TV and the earrings will look much larger in person

Haha! It's funny you should say that Jeff.

Here is what I ended up saying:

It is unfortunate that you are unsatisfied with your purchase. The earrings did include a size description as well as a comparison photograph next to a US dime, but I will be sure to more distinctly show their size in the future. As stated, I do accept 14 day returns. You may ship the earrings back at your expense for a full refund upon their return.

And his response:

OK, I apologize, it's just hard to tell until you see them in person. I will have them in the mail tomrrow. if you could please confirm your return address, just to be on the safe side.
Thank you.

I guess dimes are much smaller in person too. :dontknow:

Last edited:

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically the situation is this: I sold an item, buyer paid & received item. Today I get this message:

"The earrings arrived today but are a lot smaller than I thought they would be.
the pictures of course made them look like they were much bigger.
I think it's best if I return them and I apologize but hopefully the next highest bidder will want to take them off your hands.
Apologies"

Here is what I want to say

"It is unfortunate that you are not satisfied with the earrings. While you may wish to return them, I am struggling to understand where the size was misrepresented. There is an accurate comparison photograph with a US dime. Also, posted in the description, are accurate details pertaining to the size and weight......"

I'm pretty sure there is nothing I can do, as I accept 14 day returns. Right? I wouldn't care if the buyer said "I don't like them, can I return them?" Sure, no problem. But to blatantly lie and say the photographs "of course made them look bigger"? I should have taken the picture two feet away instead of a macro photograph next to a dime to show size, right? Maybe next to a refrigerator would have been a better comparison. Sheesh. /end rant

On a serious note, can a buyer open a NAD case for a reason that is invalid? I am guessing it wouldn't matter and eBay would still side with them.

Thoughts?

Get a hot girl to model them. Then the bidders will come

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is why eBay shouldn't let dumb people bid on stuff.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to go out on a limb and say that either the buyer thought they were gold and they were not, or they are gold and the buyer thought they would weigh more and didn't. Just a guess. Also I would Check them over REALLY well when you do get them back...

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to go out on a limb and say that either the buyer thought they were gold and they were not, or they are gold and the buyer thought they would weigh more and didn't. Just a guess. Also I would Check them over REALLY well when you do get them back...

That's what I was trying to figure out. I know the items are 14K gold. I also listed the accurate weight (to the tenth of a gram). Like I said, this guy has a 1500 eBay rating and actively sells fine jewelry. No idea what he is trying to pull here.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you put on your listings "full refund MINUS shipping cost" so you don't lose out on shipping.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can do that and eBay will allow it? I already have buyer pay return shipping.

I cant find an eBay policy to give you a definitive answer, but from what I read it's up to the seller. In the case of buyers remorse (your case) I would not refund shipping. If the return was due to a seller error I would refund 100%

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant find an eBay policy to give you a definitive answer, but from what I read it's up to the seller. In the case of buyers remorse (your case) I would not refund shipping. If the return was due to a seller error I would refund 100%

Maybe for next time then. In the meantime, I'll try to look into that and maybe contact eBay and see if that would fly. Would be great if it'd work. Most of what I've read in regards to sellers posting their own terms in their description is that eBay policy always trumps it. So it's not so much a matter of if I can or can't - it seems to be a matter of does eBay already have a rule on how these situations are handled.

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree

Maybe for next time then. In the meantime, I'll try to look into that and maybe contact eBay and see if that would fly. Would be great if it'd work. Most of what I've read in regards to sellers posting their own terms in their description is that eBay policy always trumps it. So it's not so much a matter of if I can or can't - it seems to be a matter of does eBay already have a rule on how these situations are handled.

I agree, I would refund the money less shipping once you receive the item(make sure they know this up front). That way it's no loss to you. Just make sure they realize you won't refund the shipping since it really was their fault. Once everything is squared away block them from bidding on your items again and continue on with bidness. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread