Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My self i would say that is a bad picture that dime looks the size of silver dollar so it also makes the ear rings look bigger than they are .... I don't like to nit pick but i have bought things that i thought was bigger than they were because of how the picture looked.. So i say just return the money get your ear rings back...

Thats why the dimes there?

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
My self i would say that is a bad picture that dime looks the size of silver dollar so it also makes the ear rings look bigger than they are

DSC01382.JPG
I was looking for a house for my daughters because they are less than 1 inch tall so they don't need a big house. I saw the picture above and thought this was the perfect house for them. Imagine my disappointment when I saw the house in person and found out how BIG it was!

Last time I checked, the United States made dimes in only one size. I pretty sure they don't make a silver dollar sized dime.

/sarcasm

I'm stunned anyone would consider that a "bad picture". Assuming the buyer is from the US, they have surely handled, oh, a few thousand dimes in their lifetime and, therefore, would know exactly how big a dime is. If they weren't sure, they could probably pull one out of their pocket and look at it.

My point is, anybody with an ounce of common sense realizes that photographs sometimes make objects look larger or smaller than they really are. That is why you put a common object (like a dime) in the picture so the viewer has a known reference to gauge size. It would be a bad picture if the dime was NOT there because hoop earrings come in many different sizes.

In my ebay photos, I often put a 12 oz. can of Coke or lay a tape measure next to the object I'm selling for the same reason. No reasonable person will assume that an inch is longer or shorter than it really is based on how the tape measure looks in the photo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I also included the diameter of the earrings in the description. As far as if they have ever handled a dime: I only ship to the US. So unless its a child of Bill Gates I'd assume they know what a dime is.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I also included the diameter of the earrings in the description.
As far as if they have ever handled a dime: I only ship to the US. So unless its a child of Bill
Gates I'd assume they know what a dime is.

Could also be that their monitor, or eyes did not perceive the
relationship of the dime to the earrings.

I looked at your image, and if that was shot at an angle then
the answer is yes, the earrings will actually look larger due to
the depth of the image. Try shooting the shot from a straight,
vertical direction, or all items side-by-side, and then the aspect
ratio won't increase on the closer item. BTW, same photographic
technique is often used to make a trophy fish or deer antlers look
larger than they actually are.

I don't mean this to be disrespectful of you in any way, as I KNOW you didn't
do this on purpose, but the above is something you might consider for future pics.
twocents-1.gif~original

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread is a gripe thread only and people should be aware of this.

There is nothing to advise the OP about and nothing to discuss.

Post #3 above really sums it up.

Is the buyer being silly? Maybe. Are the earrings smaller in person than in the pics? Who knows.

The point is, when you run a business in any way shape or form you are taking on a certain level of risk. You can choose to take steps to mitigate your risk but in the end your business is only as good as the person running it.

The OP said that he accepts returns. That is the bottom line, period end of story here. If you don't like the end result, then don't offer returns. Simple.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is a gripe thread only and people should be aware of this.

There is nothing to advise the OP about and nothing to discuss.

Post #3 above really sums it up.

Is the buyer being silly? Maybe. Are the earrings smaller in person than in the pics? Who knows.

The point is, when you run a business in any way shape or form you are taking on a certain level of risk. You can choose to take steps to mitigate your risk but in the end your business is only as good as the person running it.

The OP said that he accepts returns. That is the bottom line, period end of story here. If you don't like the end result, then don't offer returns. Simple.

Not sure if that was directed at me or those responding, but I don't think there is anything wrong with anyone posting their comments or opinions. This is a gripe thread and is more or less just about an experience that I find bizarre. There wasn't any debate as to whether or not I was accepting the return, as I've accepted it soon after making this thread. Yes, that is the end of my story, but people can still agree or disagree with the buyers/sellers way of handling things and offer future suggestions.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
But that is what we are here for on the web to discuss and gripe …….

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure if that was directed at me or those responding, but I don't think there is anything wrong with anyone posting their comments or opinions. This is a gripe thread and is more or less just about an experience that I find bizarre. There wasn't any debate as to whether or not I was accepting the return, as I've accepted it soon after making this thread. Yes, that is the end of my story, but people can still agree or disagree with the buyers/sellers way of handling things and offer future suggestions.

That was not directed at you or anyone in specific.

I agree wholeheartedly that anyone is free to gripe and complain. That is why we are here to share with one another.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your right, there is nothing wrong with your post or any of the replies as that is part of what this forum is about, "All Things Ebay". I think you can try to avoid buyers like this in the future by not offering returns. By doing that, in this particular case the buyer would not have had a legitimate reason to return the earrings, since buyers remorse isn't covered and your earrings were well described and photographed. Also you do not have to pay for the return shipping if you have it listed in your return policy that way. The only downside to not accepting returns is, if your a top rated seller, you lose that status by doing so. Here are the rules and regs. for the ebay money back guarantee- eBay Money Back Guarantee

PS- This doesn't mean that an unscrupulous buyer can't fabricate a reason to file an item not as described case against you and still get their money back, regardless of your return policy.

Last edited:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My self i would say that is a bad picture that dime looks the size of silver dollar so it also makes the ear rings look bigger than they are …. I don't like to nit pick but i have bought things that i thought was bigger than they were because of how the picture looked.. So i say just return the money get your ear rings back...

I really hope I am missing sarcasm here because this is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on Treasurenet. I don't even know how to respond to this.

Keppy - what is your eBay username if you don't mind me asking?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Personally, I've found it easiest to just accept the returns, refund the money, relist the item, and move on with my life.

I'm not sure what I would do in this case of refunding the original shipping too. If they are being shipped first class, I might just eat the $3 and move on.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I've found it easiest to just accept the returns, refund the money, relist the item, and move on with my life.

I'm not sure what I would do in this case of refunding the original shipping too. If they are being shipped first class, I might just eat the $3 and move on.
He already said he would so it's a moot point.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As #1 used to say (daily):

" The right to whine exceeds all others "

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hope I am missing sarcasm here because this is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on Treasurenet. I don't even know how to respond to this.

Keppy - what is your eBay username if you don't mind me asking?

Yea I wanted to beat my head against a brick wall as I was reading that post.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Try shooting the shot from a straight, vertical direction, or all items side-by-side, and then the aspect ratio won't increase on the closer item.

That picture may not have been taken precisely 90 degrees to the table top (and the objects) but it was damn close to it. Whatever distortion in size the angle caused is vanishingly small. The problem here isn't the angle of the shot. The problem is the buyer made the incredibly stupid mistake of assuming the picture insontis provided was a "life-size" image of the earrings and completely ignored the presence of the dime which was put there for the sole purpose of preventing such a foolish misinterpretation. When I first looked at that picture, my instant reaction was, "That dime is very big." A split second later, reality hit and I adjusted my perception of the earring size to the size of a real dime.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That picture may not have been taken precisely 90 degrees to the table top (and the objects) but it was damn close to it. Whatever distortion in size the angle caused is vanishingly small. The problem here isn't the angle of the shot. The problem is the buyer made the incredibly stupid mistake of assuming the picture insontis provided was a "life-size" image of the earrings and completely ignored the presence of the dime which was put there for the sole purpose of preventing such a foolish misinterpretation. When I first looked at that picture, my instant reaction was, "That dime is very big." A split second later, reality hit and I adjusted my perception of the earring size to the size of a real dime.

I did not say the potential angle was the problem, I said:

I looked at your image, and if that was shot at an angle then
the answer is yes, the earrings will actually look larger due to
the depth of the image.

End of discussion, as far as I'm concerned. No need for me to
defend a polite, helpful post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread