Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II
Fisher F2
BH Landstar
Pro-Find 25
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been selling on eBay for 12yrs and at one time was a gold level powerseller. I can tell you that eBay almost always sides with the buyer, even if you say that you don't accept returns. If the item is clearly represented properly, but the buyer just changed their mind, I offer a refund of the purchase price only plus they pay return shipping. If they accept this before opening a case, you are safe, and have lost no money (the buyer pays for their mistake).

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been selling on eBay for 12yrs and at one time was a gold level powerseller. I can tell you that eBay almost always sides with the buyer, even if you say that you don't accept returns. If the item is clearly represented properly, but the buyer just changed their mind, I offer a refund of the purchase price only plus they pay return shipping. If they accept this before opening a case, you are safe, and have lost no money (the buyer pays for their mistake).

This has been recommended by someone else earlier in the thread, but it does seem like a great idea to implement. Are you saying that you do not accept returns, but allow it under those circumstances? Or do you accept returns and have that wording in your listings?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

So, in other words, you offer ebay's return policy.

Receiving a returned item and refunding your buyer

GaryInOhio

Feb 19, 2014
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II
Fisher F2
BH Landstar
Pro-Find 25
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No...Ebays return policy is that the buyer get back the selling price PLUS original shipping, which leaves the seller in the hole for the original shipping cost

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, in other words, you offer ebay's return policy.

Receiving a returned item and refunding your buyer

Not exactly.

Ebay: If a case was opened and we have confirmation that you received the item, we'll provide a refund to the buyer that covers the cost of the item and original shipping within 3 business days.

GaryinOhio: I offer a refund of the purchase price only plus they pay return shipping

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A set of coins so you can make your items look particularly large.

Attachments

• DSCF0311.JPG
    DSCF0311.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 88

GaryInOhio

Feb 19, 2014
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II
Fisher F2
BH Landstar
Pro-Find 25
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure to have plenty of those coins nearby when giving your fiancee her engagement ring

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well stated. I suppose I'm more content with instances like this than not accepting returns and having a customer fight tooth and nail to try and force one. Who knows - It's still very early in my selling "career" and so I may change my mind further down the road. It's all a learning experience. :)

I should also add that even though my page says no returns, I do accept them, and do so with one simple line..... ok, send it back! This is the combination that I personally feel works best because I don't get many returns, and when I do I can understand why, and actually agree with them.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe for next time then. In the meantime, I'll try to look into that and maybe contact eBay and see if that would fly. Would be great if it'd work. Most of what I've read in regards to sellers posting their own terms in their description is that eBay policy always trumps it. So it's not so much a matter of if I can or can't - it seems to be a matter of does eBay already have a rule on how these situations are handled.

Ebay allows the seller to choose the "buyer pays return" option.

eBay Seller Information Center: Selling Resources ? Best Practices - Returns

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay allows the seller to choose the "buyer pays return" option.

eBay Seller Information Center: Selling Resources ? Best Practices - Returns

That should be a given, but yet another reason I list as no returns accepted, because when they realize they don't have to fight me for the return, they're usually pretty cool with paying the postage to get it back. I can't really think of anytime a buyer fought to get me to pay the return shipping.... even when the error in the transaction was clearly on my end.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think Ebay would allow you to keep the shipping cost that a buyer paid.
Whether or not it was the actual cost to you.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Returns are a tricky thing. That's why I put a return policy on all my posts. That way if the buyer doesn't follow one of the policy rules I can deny. There's only 2 reasons I accept returns, damaged in mail with picture and only if the item is damaged not just the box. And if its clothing and it doesn't fit. But on all returns I must have pictures and all original packaging and in my hands before a return is ever accepted.

I got burned on a iPhone not long ago. Guy bought it then returned it saying he couldn't get the service he wanted. Got it back it was his broken phone. Not even the same model, eBay did nothing but bounce my checking account because I refused the money back. That's why I select no returns option. And put a small one in my post out of eBays ruling reach.

As far as eBay making you give the money back they cannot. When you select the no returns accepted that means no returns. But you can choose to put your return policy in the post. Like I said I take back for 2 reasons and that's it.

The only way eBay can make you give a refund is if its a illegal product, or misrepresented to the buyer. Example picture of Xbox but selling as titled xbox1 inbox. That's misrepresented. But I've only has one item ever returned and that was that iPhone. Just posted another phone and put in the posting absolutely no returns accepted no matter what due to scams and software copyrights. Not even damaged, unless the box is tore up from hell, the. Ill get my money outta th po. But not unless I have pics of it unopened, In other words box shows up damaged it states take picture do not open.once box is opened no returns. Be aide of people scamming.

Last edited:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Returns are a tricky thing. That's why I put a return policy on all my posts. That way if the buyer doesn't follow one of the policy rules I can deny. There's only 2 reasons I accept returns, damaged in mail with picture and only if the item is damaged not just the box. And if its clothing and it doesn't fit. But on all returns I must have pictures and all original packaging and in my hands before a return is ever accepted.

I got burned on a iPhone not long ago. Guy bought it then returned it saying he couldn't get the service he wanted. Got it back it was his broken phone. Not even the same model, eBay did nothing but bounce my checking account because I refused the money back. That's why I select no returns option. And put a small one in my post out of eBays ruling reach.

As far as eBay making you give the money back they cannot. When you select the no returns accepted that means no returns. But you can choose to put your return policy in the post. Like I said I take back for 2 reasons and that's it.

The only way eBay can make you give a refund is if its a illegal product, or misrepresented to the buyer. Example picture of Xbox but selling as titled xbox1 inbox. That's misrepresented. But I've only has one item ever returned and that was that iPhone. Just posted another phone and put in the posting absolutely no returns accepted no matter what due to scams and software copyrights. Not even damaged, unless the box is tore up from hell, the. Ill get my money outta th po. But not unless I have pics of it unopened, In other words box shows up damaged it states take picture do not open.once box is opened no returns. Be aide of people scamming.

Try calling the police department in the town where the buyer is located? You could also try calling eBay back and get someone who know what they are doing, tell him you are getting law enforcement involved, maybe they will flinch?? That really sucks....I wouldnt let it go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread