Wow what a way to start 2016

stillrollin300

Jan 15, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ace 350, Garrett Infinium, AT Pro, ATX, GPX 4800, E-Trac, DMC 2B
First off the weather was beautiful over the weekend so I called my good friend Wes and on Saturday we headed to a site I have been researching. According to research it should have been a early 1700's home site on the property and it was confirmed two weeks ago when we got into a good patch just before leaving. So we hit the field early and it didn't disappoint. If this is how 2016 is going to go for me its going to be a good year.

1st hole 10 minutes into detecting and this 1857? three cent piece pops up.

Trime 1.JPG
Trime 2.JPG

Then after some searching and picking up some scrap brass and lead we headed back to the truck for Wes to switch out machines. We were looking at the adjacent field and just wanted to give it a quick once over. Nothing was shown on the maps but just to be safe. We struck out but signals were very limited. I dug this which I can assume is some sort of weight

ODD.JPG
Odd 2.JPG

Just as we were about to head back to where the hot spot was I got a killer signal dug down and this beauty pops up?

HAMMER.JPG
Hammer 2.JPG

So this of course caused us to spend more time searching about that area, but to no avail there were no more signals so we went back to our hot spot. Then the buttons and old colonial silver started just jumping out at me!!!

Carolus iii holed real

Carolus 1.JPG
Carolus 2.JPG

Philip cut real

Philip 1.JPG
Philip 2.JPG

Then the find that made the day (as if I hadn't already had a killer day) this 1649-1660 British Commonwealth cut shilling!!! its beat all to pieces because of farm equipment but you can clearly see it!!

CW Shilling.JPG
CW Shilling2.JPG

Finally here is the group shot
Group.JPG

This is a day I won't soon forget!

Last edited:
Upvote 56

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt and congrats on getting the silver each one alone would make anybody's day let alone what you came up with. The commonwealth silver is as rare as hen's teeth, that alone is a true winner.

OP
OP
stillrollin300

stillrollin300

Jan 15, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ace 350, Garrett Infinium, AT Pro, ATX, GPX 4800, E-Trac, DMC 2B
Thanks for all the kind words guys. I will defiantly be back at this site soon. Who knows what other gems are hiding. My next trip will hopfully lead me into some more good finds. No matter what else produces from this site my display case already looks great from this site.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously though, if this wasn't a "Banner Day", I'm at a loss as to how you will ever get one. The range of silver is one of the most impressive I have seen in awhile.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously though, if this wasn't a "Banner Day", I'm at a loss as to how you will ever get one. The range of silver is one of the most impressive I have seen in awhile.

I could not agree more. I guess a different title may get more attention. If the words 1600s silver or cobs or something implying old silver coins is in it more people will look. It's a shame that this may not be up too. Obviously one of the rarest things posted on here....perhaps ever. I know that's a bold statement but after Crus research that's the way I see it

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was one helluva hunt. You need to pound that site to death.
Congrats.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Remarkable day, sir. Just one back flip after another. Yes, banner all day long.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could not agree more. I guess a different title may get more attention. If the words 1600s silver or cobs or something implying old silver coins is in it more people will look. It's a shame that this may not be up too. Obviously one of the rarest things posted on here....perhaps ever. I know that's a bold statement but after Crus research that's the way I see it
I'm pretty sure if you asked the right East Coast Museum or expert they confirm my analysis, or at best say this is the 2nd known example dug in the US. Doesn't look the prettiest but its history I enjoy & this one has bags of it. I didn't even go into how this period of English Civil War effected one of the largest changes in our parliamentary history.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS. You have your CW nuts & we have the same, this would create a lot of interest in the right circles.

OP
OP
stillrollin300

stillrollin300

Jan 15, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
PS. You have your CW nuts & we have the same, this would create a lot of interest in the right circles.

Thanks Cru, believe me it has created lots of buzz and its still the item that a lot of the guys in my little circle are chasing to beat. One of the guys pulled out a 1689 cob (around here its pretty old) and jokingly said its nice but its no Cromwell! I do appreciate all the time you spent looking into this coin and it is very exciting to know I may have one of a handful if not the only dug US example. Here's to hoping my next trip to the site will produce more of them. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread