Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Christo000 - I sure hope they catch the guys who have your detectors and you get your machines back soon!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had my maiden voyage today with the 705 very nice machine I started rocky by swinging to fast,sensitivity & threshold not synced together enough, I blam that on thinking it was a deus xp lol, either way I came home with another matchbox car looks from 80's, $4.79 in clad oldest coin quarter from 66 others varied from there up to modern, & a set of house keys. Machines very accurate, deep to impressd, best of all I'm using wireless headphones. I'll post more as time goes on but for 1 day using it I like it

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Its a great machine - congrats! One thing I noticed is that my Minelab locks on targets a bit slower than my Whites, so you have to pace your swing a bit differently.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting in All Metal (or zero disc) with Multi Tone will teach you proper swing speed. :thumbsup: Just go slow enough to isolate and ID all targets.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So while my learning stage continues I should be using the detector in multiple tone not 1-4? I also on one of the 4 programs accepted all instead of discing out anything like in the book

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So while my learning stage continues I should be using the detector in multiple tone not 1-4?
The sooner you learn 28 tones the better. You'll not need to look at ID screen nearly as often.
I also on one of the 4 programs accepted all instead of discing out anything like in the book
That is zero disc. It is the next best thing to All Metal, and has certain advantages in some conditions.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was figuring with the tones I was using them most & could tell more about the target then just using 4, I hate looking at screens I do like having it just for sake of giving me an idea range of what it mayb I'm more a tone person myself. So ill keep it it the pattern discing out everything & keep it in multi tones aswell let ya know as time goes, but for now I am liking the 705 seems once I get the hang of it it will be quite capable. One thing I do really want is the 10dd in 7.5 if anyones got one they wanna sell let me know thanks again for the advice its much appreciated with this being my first ever minelabe, its much different from the garrets,whites,deus,bounty hunters, I have used

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sooner you learn 28 tones the better. You'll not need to look at ID screen nearly as often.

:icon_thumright::icon_thumright:

Chris, combining the 28 tones with a slow swing speed is definitely the best option. By doing so you will soon learn the targets by sound and not the screen... meaning less stopping to try to interpret the numbers and more area covered. :)

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ya definitely sound is really the,only way to go my deus was a pure sound machine, I think my only reason why I was looking more at the screen on the 705 was due to not being used to the tones it has I mean a minelabes tones is absolutely like no other so I was over second guessing myself still trying things out & I'm sure it won't take to long befor I treat it like all the others & never look again & know what's there by the tone it'd telling me.

OP
OP
S

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
Got out only for about an hour Sunday but the ground was finally thawed...first time out with it and I am very impressed.I love the tones and know they will tell me a lot about the target once I learn the machine amd tones better.The xterra is balanced very well even with the 10.5 dd coil on it.I only dug some clad quarters a few copper memorials and some zincolns and one old piece of brass that I am not sure what it is...will try to post a picture later when I am home....but I am telling you this is a very well built machine and although I used it once I love this machine and know I will for a long time.... I will update hopefully this weekend if I get a good solid uninterupted hunt.To anyone who is considering this machine....still do your research but I don't think anyone who really tries to use this machine to its full potential will be disappointed....it is very easy to use and learn and there is tons of information and tips in the forums and online in general.....Happy Hunting!Man I love this detector!!!!!

OP
OP
S

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
Christo000....I have the 10.5 7.5 kHz DD and its a great coil....look on forums and classifieds I swear last night I saw one somewhere or more than one used in great condition for decent prices....

OP
OP
S

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
This is the small brass piece I mentioned a few days ago that I got on my first outing with my new 705....did I mention that I am madly in love with this machine?LOL
ForumRunner_20140115_220401.png

ForumRunner_20140115_220419.png

ForumRunner_20140115_220432.png

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am gonna bump this thread as well due to it asking a small question I have had int he back of my mind "Should I save and get the Safari"? (still out of my price range after I buy everything else I need though.

And mostly the bump is to bring Spaceprot, Christo and even Longhair back into the discussion of the 705 on the last couple pages of this thread.

Seems everyone here has gone with the 705 ... how have your guys experiences been with the 705 since the last post in January almost 3 months ago ???

Glad to see so much good stuff about the 705 as I am basically sold on it by now (the AT Pro is the only other machine a touch on my radar really, but no so much anymore after researching this 705 further).

Looking forward to hearing some updates from you guys!

One thing I read that I was happy to see that someone had said the balance is perfect on this machine even when using the 10.5" DD ... I had read somewhere that combo made the detector unbalanced and coil heavy ... but I am hoping that was just his thought as I want to run this 705 primarily 100% on that 10.5" DD 7.5khz coil if at all possible (if I purchase I will be getting the 5x10 DD to start then sell it to pay for some of the 10.5).

Thanks so much guys and I look forward to seeing some updates on your 705's! :)

OP
OP
S

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
You cannot go wrong with the 705...is this your first machine? It is my third and I also own the AT Pro....I would choose the 705 over the AT Pro any day unless I was looking to freshwater hunt mostly...I have the 10.5 dd 7.5 and the machine is well balanced and that coil is very impressive on depth...I have dug stuff up to a foot down (coins) and iron (horse shoes) down to 14" ....now granted at these depths you have to listen closely the signal may be fiant or a little iffy at those depths but if you know what to listen to you will hear it...I hunt in 99 tones ....you can pick up a like new gently used 705 around 500.00 this is what I paid for mine and it seriously was like brand new with the stock coil and 10.5 dd....now I do want an fbs machine to take advantage of the multiple frequencies like an Explorer SE or an E-trac....I too considered the Safari and don't get me wrong they are probably good machines but as one person commented on this post why go for the Safari as it is the lowest end of fbs when the 705 is the top of vlf. I know I made the right choice I love the 705 and there are lots of coil options....good luck you will make the right choice for you...you are doing the right thing now by researching and getting opinions from owners...I would get Safari owners opinions as well.....I am sure there are people out there that own or have owned both.

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You cannot go wrong with the 705...is this your first machine? It is my third and I also own the AT Pro....I would choose the 705 over the AT Pro any day unless I was looking to freshwater hunt mostly...I have the 10.5 dd 7.5 and the machine is well balanced and that coil is very impressive on depth...I have dug stuff up to a foot down (coins) and iron (horse shoes) down to 14" ....now granted at these depths you have to listen closely the signal may be fiant or a little iffy at those depths but if you know what to listen to you will hear it...I hunt in 99 tones ....you can pick up a like new gently used 705 around 500.00 this is what I paid for mine and it seriously was like brand new with the stock coil and 10.5 dd....now I do want an fbs machine to take advantage of the multiple frequencies like an Explorer SE or an E-trac....I too considered the Safari and don't get me wrong they are probably good machines but as one person commented on this post why go for the Safari as it is the lowest end of fbs when the 705 is the top of vlf. I know I made the right choice I love the 705 and there are lots of coil options....good luck you will make the right choice for you...you are doing the right thing now by researching and getting opinions from owners...I would get Safari owners opinions as well.....I am sure there are people out there that own or have owned both.

This is my first machine basically (I detected over 15 year ago for a few years with an EagleII). I was almost set on buying the AT Pro till I started to research this more and over the last couple of days I have to realize that since I have zero need for waterproof as I am 100% land and only detecting local parks, homes, fields, etc. etc. that the 705 seems to an amazing machine and in some ways may be better then ATP. You have both ... can you talk more about why you think the 705 is better?
I am thinking the best option is the Gold Pack with the 5x10 DD to start ... then I was going to sell that and get the 10.5" DD 7.5khz
I am a 95% coin-shooter and I have badly mineralized soil and need depth in this bad of soil and I read that 10.5 is perfect I think for my conditions.
Is the 10.5" DD heavier at all then the stock coils? I had read somewhere that it makes it heavy and unbalanced ... is this true? I want a nice balanced machine and the one nice feature is I have a bad back and I need a light balanced machine to make the easier and longer.
I tossed around the safari but that machine is $1K for the machine Alone ... and I need all the other stuff, pinpointer, headphones, digger, bag, pouch, etc. etc. etc. ... so all in all the Safari would be around $300-400 more then the X-Terra 705 loaded with a 10.5 DD coil and ALL of the stuff I stated before from KellyCo or wherever gives me the best price. (I can get all of that I think for about 860-880 I think)
And really from what I have read and heard I think the 705 competes head to head with the Safari really ... and I thought the same thing get the high end of this line ... and if I detecting like crazy in a year or so save some money, sell the 705 and move into a high end FBS like the E-Trac or whatever is out at that time!

I would like to know more about the ATP vs 705 and how you like the 10.5 DD coil (is it the 7.5khz?) etc. etc.

I am on the hunt for all the info I can get so anything at all helps.

Thanks so much! :)

OP
OP
S

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
I love the 705 morebthen the pro because of the versatility it has being able to change frequencies with the coils....I have a spot with bad soil as well and the 7.5 dd is maybe a hair heavier but the machine stays well balanced it is not heavy at all....I just got the sling called...the detecting buddy and it has a bungee that goes on the shaft and suspends it taking almost all the weight off your arm...I have really bad back problems as well and have never had a problem swinging the 705....I bought and sold the Coiltek 3kHz 15" WOT coil and was not impressed...most people rave about it I think the 3 kHz was not ideal for my soil conditions......the AT Pro is a great machine but runs at 15 kHz ...I believe the 7.5 is a better all around frequency for relics and coins....here are the downsides that I believe are with the AT Pro although it is a great machine
No volume control
Small display screen and small numbers
No threshold
No backlit screen for hunting in low light or night
No frequency options outside of four small frequency shifts to possibly help with emi
No noise cancel like the 705 has
Oi pointing you have to hold the button in, on the 705 you press it once it stays in pinpointing mode...when you are done you just hit the button again.....might seem like a small ordeal but to me since I have had the 705 its truly a delight to press it and let go......the weight of the 705 is very close to the AT Pro but in my opinion the 705 is a way better balanced machine...I think the AT Pro is 2.9 lbs and the 705 is 3.0 but the 705 is way better balanced I have never had my arm hurt with it but have had it hurt using the Pro..fbs machines are heavier and when I get one I definately see myself using the sling or a harness at times.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have to agree with space although I had a 705 but not for to long I know its a very capable machine & will go deep the main thing it has over any any machine in the market is the fact with a simple coil change you can have what 3 frequencies to choose from pending on what ur looking for while everyone else whatever there using is stuck at that one frequency you can choose, & also has quite a bit if options that will keep you entertained for quite a while

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some say that they don't like the balance with the 10.5" coils, but also note that simply turning the coil around moves the mounting point ahead far enough to counter the problem. I swing an Explorer too, so to me even with the 15" coil on the Xterra it still feels light by comparison. If weight is an issue due to back, neck, or rotator cuff problems, and you're considering an FBS machine, you'd better plan on adding the cost of a sling or harness into your financial equation.

OP
OP
S

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
I totally agree...I had the Coiltek 15" WOT and it did not add much additional weight but yes I would say get a good harness or sling if you go with an fbs machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread