Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Folks, I've held off for a few weeks on posting my recent finds from a Yankee CW camp. I was invited to go hunt it with a buddy (Glenn) that had recently discovered it. Unfortunately, I didn't get to start hunting it until days after the spot was found. :( Long story short, by that time some uninvited detectorists soon found out about the spot and started attacking it. Although it is not private property, I guess common courtesy and ethics were tossed out the window when greed is involved. :nono: They then invited more friends too, so what was a private spot one week earlier soon became a race for relics. It looked like a bunch of wild hogs had rooted the place up when they were done. This has gone on for a few weeks now and the CW relics are now scarce.
I felt bad for Glenn because he has just gotten into detecting, did his research, and had just discovered the spot a few days earlier. He made some great recoveries before these clowns swooped in. I'm sure they made some great finds too, but we will never know.
Here's Glenn's post:http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,441975.0.html
As you can see he did fantastic! :thumbsup:

Here is what I was able to recover using my Tesoro Silver uMax.
*1847 LC * Flying Eagle cent (my first ever) * Eagle button * Eagle "I" button *Gold gilt officers button with "John N. Dale" back mark * Colonial button * Twenty four 3-ringers * 6 Williams Cleaners * Carved bullets * Camp lead * Knapsack hook * Scabbard tip * Rein guide * Iron relics (doing electrolysis now).

Thanks for looking,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-154S.JPG
    MVC-154S.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,833
  • MVC-155S.JPG
    MVC-155S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,852
  • MVC-156S.JPG
    MVC-156S.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,849
  • MVC-157S.JPG
    MVC-157S.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,841
  • MVC-158S.JPG
    MVC-158S.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,848
  • MVC-153S.JPG
    MVC-153S.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 449
Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not hunting your site is a common courtesy, not a crime. If it is on public land then they have just as much right to hunt it as the original finder. I am not condoning the way they did it, and I reiterate, it is common courtesy to back off until you have a chance to finish your hunt. I know how you feel. I found out about a specific vacant lot where a lot of WWI relics were supposed to be stored at one time and then bull dozed over. I hunted it one morning and about 10:00 two guys I didn't know showed up and actually ran full tilt to get ahead of me on one specific part of the lot. Then they didn't cover their holes. I told them just what I thought about their lack of courtesy and they wanted to fight me! I was 65 at the time and had a back full of metal holding me together. They both were in their 20s or 30s! What they didn't know was that I always carry an equalizer, my .45 ACP Smith and Wesson. I talked my way out of fighting them because I didn't particularly want to spend the day filling out police reports and sure didn't want to risk killing someone over an artifact. Some people just don't have good sense. I left and went back the next day and still found my share of relics mainly because I had gridded off the plot and covered it methodically. Glad you were able to do some good before they spoiled your hunt. Monty

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
Not hunting your site is a common courtesy, not a crime. If it is on public land then they have just as much right to hunt it as the original finder. I am not condoning the way they did it, and I reiterate, it is common courtesy to back off until you have a chance to finish your hunt. I know how you feel. I found out about a specific vacant lot where a lot of WWI relics were supposed to be stored at one time and then bull dozed over. I hunted it one morning and about 10:00 two guys I didn't know showed up and actually ran full tilt to get ahead of me on one specific part of the lot. Then they didn't cover their holes. I told them just what I thought about their lack of courtesy and they wanted to fight me! I was 65 at the time and had a back full of metal holding me together. They both were in their 20s or 30s! What they didn't know was that I always carry an equalizer, my .45 ACP Smith and Wesson. I talked my way out of fighting them because I didn't particularly want to spend the day filling out police reports and sure didn't want to risk killing someone over an artifact. Some people just don't have good sense. I left and went back the next day and still found my share of relics mainly because I had gridded off the plot and covered it methodically. Glad you were able to do some good before they spoiled your hunt. Monty

Monty,
Sorry to hear that happened to you. Nothing like two young tough guys picking on an old guy. Real pillars of society. :violent1:
What pi$$es me off about the one guy is that he was caught red handed trespassing a few days before on private property. :angry5:
Greed, greed, greed.
-MM-

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Nice finds out of that spot MM, Congrats to you and Glenn 8) The display is real nice.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning Doug! :hello:
Just wanted to congratulate you on the amazing finds there buddy! :o
That display with the map in the center looks fantastic! :thumbsup:

I hear you about getting the good new sites pounded by others that you found through honest research! >:(
It seems like I'm always getting approached by some detectorist wanting to team up and hit some of 'my sites'.
I just tell them politely, "that I'm new to the detecting game and I prefer to hunt alone for now."

I think the lesson to be learned here is . . . if you go to the trouble of researching and locating a decent site . . . you've got to keep your mouth shut about it! :thumbsup:

At least until you've had time to thoroughly hunt it yourself! :laughing7:
Have a great holiday season Doug! :occasion14:
Dave

rebelrouser

Dec 4, 2008
that is some good looking relics. i have that happen so many times it is not funny. i don't invite anyone anymore. it is always the same.you and Quindy have some nice relics to post.thanks for the post.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasurDiggrNY said:
Nice finds out of that spot MM, Congrats to you and Glenn 8) The display is real nice.

Thanks TDNY.
Much appreciated.
-MM-

rebelrouser said:
that is some good looking relics. i have that happen so many times it is not funny. i don't invite anyone anymore. it is always the same.you and Quindy have some nice relics to post.thanks for the post.

Thanks RR.
I taught Quindy everything he knows. :tongue3: :laughing9:
-MM-

ANTIQUARIAN said:
Morning Doug! :hello:
Just wanted to congratulate you on the amazing finds there buddy! :o
That display with the map in the center looks fantastic! :thumbsup:

I hear you about getting the good new sites pounded by others that you found through honest research! >:(
It seems like I'm always getting approached by some detectorist wanting to team up and hit some of 'my sites'.
I just tell them politely, "that I'm new to the detecting game and I prefer to hunt alone for now."

I think the lesson to be learned here is . . . if you go to the trouble of researching and locating a decent site . . . you've got to keep your mouth shut about it! :thumbsup:

At least until you've had time to thoroughly hunt it yourself! :laughing7:
Have a great holiday season Doug! :occasion14:
Dave

Thanks Dave.
You have one more week left in 2011. Get out there and find that diamond ring! ;D :icon_thumleft:
Good luck in the new year.
-Doug-

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds Doug. It has been about 20 years since I found a large cent but I am hoping for one in 2012 with all the new sites I have that have the potential to produce early 1800 coins. I really hated to hear about the "poachers". That has happened to me more than once so I feel your pain. At least you got some good finds before they did. When you are all done with that site I would go back with a bag of lead shot and plant some "seeds", lol.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurehound said:
Nice finds Doug. It has been about 20 years since I found a large cent but I am hoping for one in 2012 with all the new sites I have that have the potential to produce early 1800 coins. I really hated to hear about the "poachers". That has happened to me more than once so I feel your pain. At least you got some good finds before they did. When you are all done with that site I would go back with a bag of lead shot and plant some "seeds", lol.

Thanks TH.
That lead shot sounds like a great idea. I think the guy that was poaching my private property spot deserves some lead shot in the a$$.
-Doug-

deano

Oct 25, 2008
sioux city ,iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus 2, Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 900, Nokta Makro Legend, Nokta Makro Simplex
Awesome relics!!! Too bad you don't have some pics of the poachers to post.

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. Those who trespass on private property destroy the hobby for all of us. We asked permission once and the owner was first hesitant about giving permission because of those who chose to trespass in the past. We were able to get permission but I'm waiting to be told we cant hunt anymore cause someone else see's us detecting and goes there on their own. Great finds and I'm sure you will find many more relics. Those who hop all over the place and are never satisfied never give a true spot the time and attention it should.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't add much to what's been already said but at least ya got a piece of the action . My Grandma , would say , " the Devil will get them sons of B!T@#&$ " :laughing7: Merry Christmas and Best to you for 2012 from dawgville and I read somewhere/// you taught Quindy everything he knows ... nice work :wink: young fella does really we!! :thumbsup: :D

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
treasurehound said:

Thanks TH.
That lead shot sounds like a great idea. I think the guy that was poaching my private property spot deserves some lead shot in the a$$.
-Doug-

The property owner needs to go full out and get the trespasser charged by the police. Maybe that might kick a bit of sense into his head.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Job Doug, I like what you did with the case, looks really nice! That's unfortunate about those "Diggers" that raided his site....that's seems to be happening more and more these

days and it is really low. Congrats on the finds man :occasion14: :wink:

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are kicking some yankee butt with that Umax, Doug! Keep up with the finds. I have had bronchitis for 2 weeks and have been knocked off the detecting map. Great finds, Bryan in Goldsboro

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds Buddy!! I know what you mean about people taking over a spot. I had a guy stop by and just walk in the filed to talk and the next weekend he and 5 other people where there.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome hunt! an I thought I was finding a lot! :) Merry Christmas :)

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is getting tougher by the day to find a spot that hasn't been mauled. When I first started this hobby 14 years ago I would have no problem coming home with keepers now I am lucky too find a wheat cent.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deano said:
Awesome relics!!! Too bad you don't have some pics of the poachers to post.

Thanks Deano.
The police may have a picture if they get caught on my spot again. :icon_thumleft: :laughing9:
-MM-

RiverRat3 said:
Nice finds. Those who trespass on private property destroy the hobby for all of us. We asked permission once and the owner was first hesitant about giving permission because of those who chose to trespass in the past. We were able to get permission but I'm waiting to be told we cant hunt anymore cause someone else see's us detecting and goes there on their own. Great finds and I'm sure you will find many more relics. Those who hop all over the place and are never satisfied never give a true spot the time and attention it should.

Thanks RR.
That's exactly why I couldn't detect a prime CW spot close to this Yankee camp. Turns out some idiots detected there before and didn't fill in their holes. :violent1: Ruined it for the next guy.
-MM-

CMDiamonddawg said:
Can't add much to what's been already said but at least ya got a piece of the action . My Grandma , would say , " the Devil will get them sons of B!T@#&$ " :laughing7: Merry Christmas and Best to you for 2012 from dawgville and I read somewhere/// you taught Quindy everything he knows ... nice work :wink: young fella does really we!! :thumbsup: :D

Ya gotta love Grandma. Those old folks tell it like it is. :laughing9:
Speaking of old timers, it's true, I taught Quindy everything he knows about detecting. He's still learning, but we have high hopes for him. :hello2: :laughing9:
Have a good one Dawg,
Dug

TheGeorgiaCanuck said:
The property owner needs to go full out and get the trespasser charged by the police. Maybe that might kick a bit of sense into his head.

He deserves to get caught. Especially sneaking on to properties at night! I mean really, what kind of person does that? :dontknow: :nono:

{Sentinel} said:
Good Job Doug, I like what you did with the case, looks really nice! That's unfortunate about those "Diggers" that raided his site....that's seems to be happening more and more these

days and it is really low. Congrats on the finds man :occasion14: :wink:

Thanks Josh. Where the heck have you been? :icon_scratch:
Happy Holidays Dude!
-Dug-

Gilligan said:
You are kicking some yankee butt with that Umax, Doug! Keep up with the finds. I have had bronchitis for 2 weeks and have been knocked off the detecting map. Great finds, Bryan in Goldsboro

Get better Bryan. You got to stop running around in the cold naked. :o :tongue3: :laughing9:
Believe it or not, after 5 years my Silver uMax just started acting up. I need to send it in for a tuneup. I just bought a Vaquero, so I'll need to learn that machine now. :thumbsup:
Take care Buddy,
Doug

Hutch911 said:
Nice finds Buddy!! I know what you mean about people taking over a spot. I had a guy stop by and just walk in the filed to talk and the next weekend he and 5 other people where there.

Hutch, that totally sucks. What the "H" are people thinking? Greedy pieces of crappe'.
Hoping to finally meet you in the spring at the RR hunt. I'll be joining Mike. :thumbsup:
-Dug-

shanegalang said:
Awesome hunt! an I thought I was finding a lot! :) Merry Christmas :)

From what we hear, you ARE finding a lot. :laughing9:
Merry Christmas to you too. :thumbsup:
-MM-

nova said:
It is getting tougher by the day to find a spot that hasn't been mauled. When I first started this hobby 14 years ago I would have no problem coming home with keepers now I am lucky too find a wheat cent.

LOL. I hear ya Nova. It's getting tough out there. That's why when a decent guy like Glenn does all the research and finds a new CW spot, he deserves to reap the rewards, not those slugs. I hope he finds another good spot. :thumbsup:
Take care,
Doug

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hutch911 said:

Hutch, that totally sucks. What the "H" are people thinking? Greedy pieces of crappe'.
Hoping to finally meet you in the spring at the RR hunt. I'll be joining Mike. :thumbsup:
-Dug-

I hope so waiting for the sign up's. Anytime your up this way give me a shout we can dig somewhere.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Dug, did you find any more info. on the button with 4 holes in it? Share the info. to date that you with everyone again have as I had never seen one like it. HH, Q.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread