Yesterdays Colonial Snow Dig...kept the coin streak alive in Copper & Silver!!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday's Colonial Snow Dig...kept the coin streak alive in Copper & Silver!!!

We received a blanket of the "white stuff" here in Virginia on Friday. Not to be deterred, my good pal Bill D and I decided to go do some digging. We had to wait for the roads to somewhat become clear, but by noon we were out for our half-day snow hunt. It was cold, a little wet and fairly slow at first.

After a couple of hours and only a few buttons I hit a little iron patch and began to slow down and dig iffy signals. First I dug a button, then a part of a shoe buckle, and then a nice piece of cut spanish silver popped up. It was just a few minutes earlier that we were discussing whether or not our coin streak at this site would continue, it looked bleak (5 consecutive hunts with one of us digging a colonial coin).

After digging a couple of musket balls (some with sprus still on them) I dug a test hole and located a very deep and fairly sizable pit. Running out of day light, we filled it in after the test hole and will return on our next trip to dig it out, full of brick, pottery and bone, hopefully it will pay off. A few feet away I received a deep but large high-tone. Digging down close to 18" I popped out this large brass cap/lid/top of some sort. (An ID would be appreciated if possible). Once removed from the hole, I noticed the same color of dirt and flakes of bone and brick. Sticking the loop down in the hole I was surprised to hear another tone...once more dirt was removed, out popped this beauty of a VA Half Penny! Two Coins!!! Our streak was saved and I was happy. UPDATE: (I initially posted that I did dig one early pewter Pillars of Hercules button, but it is basicaly rotten.) I thought I could make out the left pillar on the left). (image of the back) (New image provided of the front.) Upon cleaning the button I was able to make out a "1st" on the fact. It appears it is some sort of a regimental button, but none of any kind I am familiar with. Any thoughts would be helpful!

I ended the day with 11 buttons, a few pieces of colonial buckles, and some lead. The two coins were the highlight. The big brass item is solid cast, and looks to have had the middle broken out. Any ideas?

HH

Dan

Attachments

• SC012613a.jpg
    SC012613a.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 285
  • SC012613b.jpg
    SC012613b.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 319
  • SC012613c.JPG
    SC012613c.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 342
  • SC012613d.jpg
    SC012613d.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 310
  • SC012613e.jpg
    SC012613e.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 288
  • SC012613f.jpg
    SC012613f.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 273
  • SC012613g.jpg
    SC012613g.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 272
  • SC012613h.jpg
    SC012613h.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Upvote 12

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have before, but got out of doing it once folks tried too much to figure out where I was. I need to get back to doing them, guess I got lazy and figured I am not that entertaining. I appear in many of Aquachiggers ha ha.
Dan

You guys have a lot of good hunts. Would just like to see some of them on video to keep me entertained when not detecting. lol

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Videos are nice, but they take away too much from hunting time. The fewer distractions I have in the field the more relics I can dig.

Ahhhh is that why you never hunt next to me ha ha...just picking man. I am ready for the next hunt as always!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Videos are nice, but they take away too much from hunting time. The fewer distractions I have in the field the more relics I can dig.

That is true. I make videos but not of every single button or bullet I find. Usually just with the more special finds.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahhhh is that why you never hunt next to me ha ha...just picking man. I am ready for the next hunt as always!

The way you been pulling them out I need to be mirroring your every step ..... LOL!!

Last edited:

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey you guys just keep finding stuff non stop like the energizer bunny :thumbsup: I was out digging in Richmond County this weekend and dug a whole hand full of coins (1795,1837,1853,1911) at an old colonial house down by the water.. The farmer who owns the house is my friends grandpa who is kinda cocky and only lets me MD maybe once a year on there property and only for 2 hours and i can barely understand what he is saying but he is a pretty good old man, this is my 2nd time there and his wife says in the summer she will let me MD it for a full-day, it really is a coin paradise i just wish the oldman would leave for a week or two then i can go up and his wife will give me the all good to hit the place hard one day while he is gone. Anyway enough about that this spot you all got enough good spots down that way too keep yah busy for a century :smileinbox: KEep up the good luck my virginia relic hunting buddies !! :occasion14: :occasion14:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smile.gif
Nice
lupsk.gif
Finds
alko_2464.gif
Wow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread