Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I met up with Thad (pa dirt-nc sand) and John (High VDI) for a little cellar hole digging at an old home site that Thad and I have been hitting lately. The place is littered with late 19[SUP]th [/SUP]to mid 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century junk, but has also given up some earlier finds including a 1749 KG II, an 1854 LC, a 1840s store token from Pittsburgh, some early flat and tombac buttons, and an early keg spigot key.
I didn’t find any early stuff yesterday, but it wasn’t for lack of trying. I did earn a new nickname, that being The Spoon King for my outstanding 5 SPOON DAY.
Here are my finds, most of which are bound for the brass and copper scrap buckets. The buttons and broken crotal bell are from Friday.
Jan 26 and 28 all.JPG

I also found a deer skull and a vintage frying pan with blue enamel. I offered to whip up a batch of fried deer skull for the boys, but they weren't interested.
Skull Pan.jpg

Here are some of the smalls I dug this weekend.
Smalls.JPG

I did find my first complete 1880s gas lamp fixture. I have found plenty of valve bodies and valve keys to these things, but never a complete assembly.
Gas Lamp.JPG

Some close ups of the gas lamp fixture.
Valve Body.JPG Valve Key.JPG

That's all folks, thanks for looking!

Upvote 16

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Steve, most folks would be excited about your finds. The gas light fixture is not a relic I have seen before. WTG & HH, Q.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunts like that are a nice change of pace, and sometimes some cool stuff can show up. My favorites are the gas fixture and the frying pan. And I'll pass on the fried deer skull too please ....

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool gas light parts. I found an ornate valve key the other week. I was amazed at how heavy duty it was, compared to the light weight junk they make today.

Well done Steve, congrats.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Liking the complete gas valve, never see the attached line posted up ever.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet hunt, thats the type of detecting I thrive on

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nice that you guys were able to get together for a TNET Social Dig.
Some really nice finds. Those spoons will be good for practicing how to make a spoon ring.
Congrats on the complete gas light fixture.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nice that you guys were able to get together for a TNET Social Dig.
Some really nice finds. Those spoons will be good for practicing how to make a spoon ring.
Congrats on the complete gas light fixture.
Lol, the plated brass spoons are already in the scrap brass bucket. My copper bucket is full, but my brass and lead buckets have a ways to go yet.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So when we invited John to meet us for the first time ever the coordinates we gave him where the end of an abandoned road near the city an hour from his home. He told me that his wife made him call when he got there and was safe in case we were ax murderers. Then you proceed to dig a 6' deep x 6' long hole in the bottom of the cellar hole and then set up your ritualistic skull frying pan cutlery thing. I'm sure he was freaking out just a little, but this will suffice for his initiation ceremonial experience. BTW, I would be tempted to take a wire wheel at that complete gas lamp fixture to make the old brass shine, I bet it would be killer.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the nice relic hunt! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So when we invited John to meet us for the first time ever the coordinates we gave him where the end of an abandoned road near the city an hour from his home. He told me that his wife made him call when he got there and was safe in case we were ax murderers. Then you proceed to dig a 6' deep x 6' long hole in the bottom of the cellar hole and then set up your ritualistic skull frying pan cutlery thing. I'm sure he was freaking out just a little, but this will suffice for his initiation ceremonial experience. BTW, I would be tempted to take a wire wheel at that complete gas lamp fixture to make the old brass shine, I bet it would be killer.
I dug a little 3 foot long test hole in the cellar hole and now you have exaggerated it into a full size grave :laughing7:
Actually, I was just thinking the same thing about the gas lamp fixture, except I was going to use fine grit polishing cloth on it and shine it up by hand. I have another broken section that I can practice on.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pile of finds. Cool old stuff.
Looks like a nice,
fun spot...

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty awesome finds, oh, better luck pressure cooking that skull then add spam... and a lot of BBQ sauce

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes you’re the squirrel, sometimes you’re the nut. Then again sometimes you’re the pan, and sometimes you’re the deer (skull). Either way, all are better options than myself sitting on a ship unable to detect. Lol

Nice digs

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The gas light fixture is pretty cool

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunts like that are a nice change of pace, and sometimes some cool stuff can show up. My favorites are the gas fixture and the frying pan. And I'll pass on the fried deer skull too please ....
Bill this site has given up a few pre civil war and even a couple of 18th century items. But the early occupants were not nearly as messy as the later occupants (unfortunately).

Cool gas light parts. I found an ornate valve key the other week. I was amazed at how heavy duty it was, compared to the light weight junk they make today.

Well done Steve, congrats.
Yes I have found several of the fancy valve keys and a few of the ornate valve bodies. I have even found sections of the tubing. But this is the first time I have found (or seen) a complete fixture.

Liking the complete gas valve, never see the attached line posted up ever.
It was a first for me too. Surprising that it wasn't mutilated.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of finds! People don't believe me when I tell them my most common finds are spoons.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you’re the squirrel, sometimes you’re the nut. Then again sometimes you’re the pan, and sometimes you’re the deer (skull). Either way, all are better options than myself sitting on a ship unable to detect. Lol

Nice digs
And sometimes you are stuck on a boat, and sometimes you are snowed in. The things that prevent us from detecting :BangHead:

Nice assortment of finds! People don't believe me when I tell them my most common finds are spoons.
Yes, I have no idea how many spoons are in my scrap brass bucket right now. I think the reason we find more spoons than forks is because little kids used them to dig in the dirt.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread