You dont find one of these too often.....

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
You don't find one of these too often.....

Yesterday I was out driving with the family scouting for river access to go creek / river hunting at a future time. I'd already found one very good access point that I'll use as soon as the high water recedes. As we were looking for a 2nd access point we found ourselves driving in a heavily wooded area. I looked off to the side of road, maybe 75 yards and see a half naked guy frantically waving his arms. There's no shoulder on wither side of the steep and winding road. I stop the car (note: I have my wife and 2 kids with me), get out and tell the wife to drive off and come back in 10 minutes. The guy is wearing only his boxer shorts (no shoes, socks, nothing) and is crying. I get out to him and he starts asking me where he is and tells me he's been wandering the woods for a day and a half is completely lost. Based on his story and appearance I judge the guy is unarmed and harmless (I'm 6'3" 265 lbs) at this point and is genuinely lost in the woods. I let him us my phone and call his grandmother who is clearly chewing him out over the phone. I tell him I'll drive him back to his house. Wife returns w/ the car and we proceed to drive out of the woods. On the way out we're about to pass a ranger station when I see ~15 or so state police, park ranger, etc, vehicles leaving the parking lot. I motion for the lead car to stop and ask the officer - "are you guys looking for a missing person?" He said "yes" I replied with "well I just found a missing person" and leaned back so he could see the guy in the passenger seat.

According to the officer the guy had been missing for 3 and a half days. I never asked for a story but the naked in the woods and aryan nation tattoo's make it pretty clear - I found an authentic field grade Missouri crystal meth tweaker. No I didn't get an in-situ and no I'm not getting him 'restored', I'll leave that to the state.

You just don't find one of those every day.....

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
You did the right thing by helping a fellow human being, but a tweaker could have waited another 30 minutes (or 2 hours) while you call for the professionals.

"naked in the woods and aryan nation tattoo's" would be enough for me not to let him in the car with my family.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
You did the right thing by helping a fellow human being, but a tweaker could have waited another 30 minutes (or 2 hours) while you call for the professionals.

"naked in the woods and aryan nation tattoo's" would be enough for me not to let him in the car with my family.

Obviously a very reasonable stance and the exactly was 'Plan A' when I left the car. Once I determined the guy didn't have a single possession on him and believed he wasn't a threat I switched to 'Plan B'. Of course I / we could have ended up being featured in an episode of 'America's Most Wanted', but I thought the risk was nil and it was a good opportunity for a teaching moment with the kids in helping others and why not to do drugs.

I also once drove a recently released ex-con hitchhiker from Boise to El Paso so maybe I don't make the best decisions???

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; God bless you. That was a very Heroic thing you did. More than likely you saved that guys life literally. I hope he gets the help he needs. As for you. I think youvshould be given Recognition by the State and the News. You are a true Hero. God Bless You. PEACE:RONB :notworthy:

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Good stuff Joe....how far from me did that happen??? Wasn't on the news so I assume not too close eh??
Probably 75 miles or so south of you. One of the hilarious parts if this is he was lost for 3 and a half days and I figure if any one of us we're dropped into the exact same spot I don't believe it would take more than 90 minutes to find a way out.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Hi; God bless you. That was a very Heroic thing you did. More than likely you saved that guys life literally. I hope he gets the help he needs. As for you. I think youvshould be given Recognition by the State and the News. You are a true Hero. God Bless You. PEACE:RONB :notworthy:
Thanks, I appreciate it but this way overstates my role. I'm sure someone else would have found him shortly if I wouldn't have spotted him.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You probably saved his life, hope he learned something. :thumbsup:
He would had traveled in the car's trunk as for me. :laughing7:

Last edited:

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a Great example for your children. Hopefully your act of compassion and accountability will stick with them throughout their years.
BTW- if you took an in-situ photo I would be Rollin right now...

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate your balance between tactical thinking and compassion. You did the right thing, but in a safe way. Rare to see that mix outside of good cops.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
BTW- if you took an in-situ photo I would be Rollin right now...
I sent a summary of this event to my two rock hunting buddies and the only reply I got was "did you get an in-situ?". I dropped the ball.

Igyjastabay

May 28, 2014
The Beach SW FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
long story and no pics. common dude, if you write 300 words people need something, like a pic or two. Josh cares and I don't.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
long story and no pics. common dude, if you write 300 words people need something, like a pic or two. Josh cares and I don't.

Where's picture of a pretty ax with a hole in it? You know, the pic you regularly post?

If you aren't going to show any pictures, at least put out some verbiage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions