You just never know!

peteacher37

Aug 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I am a little in shock but I thought you should know how my detecting experience went today. I have a friend who "tears" down old houses for a living. I asked him if he knew where I could detect and he mentioned the place I went to today. It was an old doctors office that he was demolishing in a few days. After about 2 hours I had found only 2 nickels. One was 1943 and the other was 1947. I was getting discouraged and asked him if I could look inside. He said go ahead and take anything I want. I found many things I wanted including 12 handblown Christmas ornaments from Germany. He mentioned he was using them for golf balls last week! Ouch!!!!!!!!! Anyway as I was about to leave I noticed a blue coin binder lodged down behind a shelving unit. I pulled it out and look what I found! A silver half dollar collection from 1937-1947. Twenty two halves in all! Im not a coin guy so what do I do with them? Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• foundhalves.jpg
    foundhalves.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,430
Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings friend ! In this economy , there is nothing wrong with HOLDING large , obsolete ,
beautiful, American silver coins , that you scored for free !!! Please consider that the federal reserve
note is losing value - and have you seen the activity lately with precious metals ? I wouldn't exchange
those babies for federal reserve notes unless you are in real trouble financially ! Argentium.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will give them a good home, full of love and warmth. Hey, I had to try.
Carl

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner! I'm voting

Way, way cool!!!!

rory

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One heck of a score!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
that is a great score 22 (90%) silver halves current silver value of $7.92 each (of course if selling the coin dealers offer less than full value to make their mark up ) -- so at the very least say $6 each x 22 thats a cool $ 132 bucks in value for free -- some one messed up bad leaving that behind --it there was a one set of coins --check carefully since their maybe be more "hidden" about -- and after that house is taken down if you can check the spot closely

the 1943 war nickle with a big letter on the back is 35% silver as well :wink: :icon_thumright:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Talk about finding treasure! I'd find a knowledgeable coin dealer
and find out if they're are worth big money or only the silver value.
Then as billydabeeg suggested, "sell them and give your friend half." :notworthy:

pookie3520

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2007
Phoenix AZ
Detector(s) used
M-6 Whites
....Wow! Why wouldn't you just keep them unless you needed some cash really fast. What a great collection!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would keep the coins and definitely go back to the house...There is definitely more valuable things in there for you to find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread