You really, really have to see this (2011 Donations needed)

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SAFE DONATIONS NEEDED FOR THE 2011 SEASON!!!!!!!

Send to:

History Detectives
P.O Box 112
Christiansburg Va. 24068

:hello:

Kids at our camp detecting! The Little Tikes! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:
They love the new pit we designed for them!!!!
Kids dig Gold colored Aluminum tokens to be used at our camp store for toys and clothing.
It was a success. :hello2:
This is the first of it's kind in America.
We are the first 4-h center in the World, to make Metal detecting and actual program!!!! Yes, 4-h is World Wide.
Hopefully, others will follow our footsteps.
There were 3 options for the kids to pick from.
The kids were asked to raise their hands on what they wanted to do for the "I wanna do" for an hour the evening.
When treasure hunting was mentioned, almost ALL of the hands were raised!~ :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:
We just didn't have enough machines.

Thanks to everyone who helped make this happen. :)

We get new kids all summer long who get the opportunity to treasure hunt in Americas first, kids Metal Detecting treasure pit.
Special thanks to Carolyn at Supersod for the sod donation.
Also, Bill @ Landsaver Asheville NC

Attachments

• 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 335
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 331
  • PICT0062.JPG
    PICT0062.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 2,893
  • PICT0065.JPG
    PICT0065.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 2,854
  • PICT0067.JPG
    PICT0067.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 2,802
  • PICT0068.JPG
    PICT0068.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 2,790
  • PICT0073.JPG
    PICT0073.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 2,667
  • PICT0071.JPG
    PICT0071.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 2,703
  • PICT0070.JPG
    PICT0070.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 2,710
  • PICT0069.JPG
    PICT0069.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 2,745
  • PICT0075.JPG
    PICT0075.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 2,628
  • 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 340
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 341
Upvote 0

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Safari, Explorer SE Pro, & Excallibur II
Re: You really, really have to see this

Hey Mike!
Looks great! :thumbsup:
I've got over 50 pieces of .999 copper, .999 silver, & gold plated .999 silver bullion for the kids. ;D
You can use them as prizes or bury them in the pit! :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• treasure-pit-bullion.jpg
    treasure-pit-bullion.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,316

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweeeet! Mike. That really brings a smile to my face. I got back into detecting because my scouts about 7 years ago. I broke out my detector at a camp site and found a few things. The kids got real excited and I did not dig at all after that. They were all following me around digging every singal. It was great until a couple got forks and spoons to dig. Took me a while to figure out why we stopped finding things. They were putting the forks and spoons under the coil to get a jump on digging! DUH!

This inspires me. Maybe I will offer to help write that merit badge requirements/book need for Metal Detecting MB.
Who knows?

Ed D.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like a success those kids are happy Good going 4-H :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

waterfalljay said:
Hey Mike!
Looks great! :thumbsup:
I've got over 50 pieces of .999 copper, .999 silver, & gold plated .999 silver bullion for the kids. ;D
You can use them as prizes or bury them in the pit! :icon_thumright:
wow thanks Jay!

We appreciate that buddy

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II

I only have one question for you 4-H and that is "how"? How do you find the time, energy and patience to do all that. You have a new baby girl, run the club, deal detectors and a host of other things (I've read your posts) and yet your still willing to stop and help a person out, like you have the time to spare. 125 to 200 kids per week and a newborn :o how? I'd ask why but I'm afraid you might actually give me an answer :dontknow:. now that I think about it, I got a 2nd question, when they make a Monday Night Movie of the Week (I know, it shows my age) about you, can I say I knew you on the forum? A guy can't even stand in your shadow, mostly cause it wont stay still long enough.

All kidding aside, you're doing some great things over there. I don't know if you believe in "Karma" or "what goes around comes around" but you truly have it going for you. This may sound stupid but if there were more people like you we'd NEED less people like you. :notworthy:

Signed ... Just Impressed

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Born2Dtect said:
Sweeeet! Mike. That really brings a smile to my face. I got back into detecting because my scouts about 7 years ago. I broke out my detector at a camp site and found a few things. The kids got real excited and I did not dig at all after that. They were all following me around digging every singal. It was great until a couple got forks and spoons to dig. Took me a while to figure out why we stopped finding things. They were putting the forks and spoons under the coil to get a jump on digging! DUH!

This inspires me. Maybe I will offer to help write that merit badge requirements/book need for Metal Detecting MB.
Who knows?

Ed D.
Wooo-hooo!

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

That is one great idea. Those kids are having a blast, it shows by the ear to ear smiles on all of them.

WTG.
:icon_thumleft:
Ray S ECenFL

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You and your family are good people Mike, keep it up!

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am at aloss for words. Kudos 4-H, you are doing a great thing.

Drudge

Nov 19, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab: eTrac, Excalibur II, Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats kind of kool but then again thats just more competition >:( ... hehe, just kidding :icon_thumright:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Drudge said:
Thats kind of kool but then again thats just more competition >:( ... hehe, just kidding :icon_thumright:

Yea, but look at it this way, you get them out of the house and away from the television, game systems, peer pressure, and all the lovely things kids face nowadays, and your showing them a whole new world of wonder, excitement, joy, fresh air, and many, many memories to come!!!! That's all that matters anymore! And when my husband upgrades to another machine, 4H and his group will get my hubby's old one that he is using now, it has been very lucky for him, and me too!!!!! LOL :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :headbang:

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Chug and Red said:
Drudge said:

Yea, but look at it this way, you get them out of the house and away from the television, game systems, peer pressure, and all the lovely things kids face nowadays, and your showing them a whole new world of wonder, excitement, joy, fresh air, and many, many memories to come!!!! That's all that matters anymore! And when my husband upgrades to another machine, 4H and his group will get my hubby's old one that he is using now, it has been very lucky for him, and me too!!!!! LOL :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :headbang:
You guys are great.
At the end of camp, kids have an opportunity to stand up and tell the others what their favorite part of the was.
2 of them said "Metal Detecting" and the treasure pit was their favorite.

So, now Metal detecting is an official 4-h program for the kids.

Like other programs, skeet, hiking, farming , animal shows etc...I should make a logo.

This is the next project.

Any one want to give some help???

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I love it Mike been watching you guys build it an waiting for the day we got actual hunt pics . :icon_thumleft: your guys are great man the smiles on their faces are wonderful , cool seeing bare feet while they detect an know that pit is trash free :icon_thumleft: once again awsome job .

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Tank69 said:
I love it Mike been watching you guys build it an waiting for the day we got actual hunt pics . :icon_thumleft: your guys are great man the smiles on their faces are wonderful , cool seeing bare feet while they detect an know that pit is trash free :icon_thumleft: once again awsome job .
Thanks Buddy.

One problem, It's not draining on one end.
I have to put a perforated pvc pipe on the end or, stock it with trout!

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool

Tank69 said:
.............. cool seeing bare feet while they detect an know that pit is trash free :icon_thumleft: once again awsome job .

I have a couple coffee cans full of pulltabs I can send.............you can make the pit more challenging for "intermediate" detectorists. :laughing7:

dick99344

Apr 30, 2009
Othello, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Pro PI, Whites M6

I have a friend that is a Whites dealer. We put on a hunt for adults and children every June. For the kids this year, we buried small plastic jars with metal lids that contained a map to find buried treasure in the search area. One of the treasures was a small chest full of costume jewlery. Only the kids were allowed to hunt this special marked off area, the kids had a great time and they learned a lot. HH

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Mighty AP said:
Tank69 said:
.............. cool seeing bare feet while they detect an know that pit is trash free :icon_thumleft: once again awsome job .

I have a couple coffee cans full of pulltabs I can send.............you can make the pit more challenging for "intermediate" detectorists. :laughing7:
Oh maan! Just what every sand pit in America needs, right! LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread