Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, the scale is misleading - I would never guess that the vent hole at the yellow arrow was 3 feet across. Can you help orient me without giving anything away? Is the camera shot taken from an angle looking down an incline, or is the vent hole on the surface of the rocks in such a way that you could walk down to it? Either way, I like that some of clues match up - very interesting. Good luck to you.

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Here is another clue I found.

"Three stones by themselves are the key to the mine"

Before I found these stones, my mind was picturing three rocks TOGETHER in one spot. As you can see by the photo below, that's not the case. These three stones are found above the tunnels in the previous photo I posted, and arent lined up with the tunnel or the natural vent. The are actually "pointing" to the only dirt area that can be found above on the side of the hill. It's my opinion that Waltz left these as sort of an "arrow" to point to the mine location. If you're below and standing on the dirt, you'll never see these rocks. That's the beauty of them. They're naturally hidden by the contours of the land, unless you know they're there.

Now, some people may say that I put those stones there myself. I don't care, I know what i've found so save that arguement for someone else.... I'm just sharing things I've found.

Thanks,
Travis

Attachments

• THREE STONES BY THEMSELVES FINAL.bmp
    896.3 KB · Views: 223

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, the scale is misleading - I would never guess that the vent hole at the yellow arrow was 3 feet across. Can you help orient me without giving anything away? Is the camera shot taken from an angle looking down an incline, or is the vent hole on the surface of the rocks in such a way that you could walk down to it? Either way, I like that some of clues match up - very interesting. Good luck to you.

Paul

I am above the hole looking down. Im on the "ridge" mentioned in the clue, looking from the farside. It is an incline, which is why i mentioned some climbing gear.

I do disagree with one thing you wrote..... Not "some" clues match up.... All of them do..... Im just not posting all of them.... Ive worked too hard just to give it all away........ ;)

Travis

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul

I am above the hole looking down. Im on the "ridge" mentioned in the clue, looking from the farside. It is an incline, which is why i mentioned some climbing gear.

I do disagree with one thing you wrote..... Not "some" clues match up.... All of them do..... Im just not posting all of them.... Ive worked too hard just to give it all away........ ;)

Travis

Thanks for the clarification - knowing that, I'm able to visualize stuff in the photo a little better.

As far as my saying "some" of the clues, the only reason I used that word is because there are quite literally hundreds of clues to the LDM location, and my assumption was that not ALL of them could fit your spot. If you went into your search after selecting the clues you felt were the most likely, and it turned out THOSE clues all fit, I understand your point :).

You're on an interesting path, that's for certain.

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD,
It would be awesome if we could finally lie the mystery to rest!!
I'm happy for you! - you have put a lot of research into the matter!
I'll keep my fingers crossed! :-)

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul,

Maybe later this week i'll start up a topic of all of the clues i've found to be true, which ones don't match my area, maps that match, and which clues got mixed up/changed. I'll try to include pics where I can.

Loke,

It's pretty interesting for sure. The only bad thing is that the way the laws are, no one may ever get to know about it. Except for a few select people that i've gotten to know personally. Now, if that hole in my picture turns out to be accessible, using modern climbing equipment, I may be able to prove it without disturbing anything. Which has always been my goal.

Thanks,
Travis

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Paul

Travis

Hello Travis
I just want to ask one question
if what you have found is the LDM, how do you suppose that Waltz was able to climb down that incline without climbing gear and at the ripe old age of 60 plus ?
Alan

Last edited:

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Travis
I just want to ask one question
if what you have found is the LDM, how do you suppose that Waltz was able to climb down that incline without climbing gear and at the ripe old age of 60 plus ?
Alan

Alan

That hole in my picture is not where I believe Waltz went in. I believe the shaft he covered is above on the hillside. That hole is where I think the mine "crops out at the bottom of the wash".

If you feel like it, take a look at my post "Clues that match my search area". I clearly point out the "dirt spot" that I believe the shaft Waltz used is hidden under.

Thanks
Travis

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Awsome discovery Travis.
Looking forward to hearing more as you progress.
Best Regards
Alan

Doc4261

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Here is another clue I found.

"Three stones by themselves are the key to the mine"

Before I found these stones, my mind was picturing three rocks TOGETHER in one spot. As you can see by the photo below, that's not the case. These three stones are found above the tunnels in the previous photo I posted, and arent lined up with the tunnel or the natural vent. The are actually "pointing" to the only dirt area that can be found above on the side of the hill. It's my opinion that Waltz left these as sort of an "arrow" to point to the mine location. If you're below and standing on the dirt, you'll never see these rocks. That's the beauty of them. They're naturally hidden by the contours of the land, unless you know they're there.

Now, some people may say that I put those stones there myself. I don't care, I know what i've found so save that arguement for someone else.... I'm just sharing things I've found.

Thanks,
Travis

Think we have alot in common... Hit me up sometime.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cubfan---

I think this was posted on this forum, as a response to CJ asking for a copy of it. But I don't remember who provided it. I guess it's OK to repost the whole thing, as it was already released into the public at that time (I think it was a year or two ago).

View attachment 562461

The first drawing at the left just vindicate me when I stated how Deering and the two soldiers found the Gonzalez-Polka-Haywood-etc. mine and not the LDM. The sketch is almost identical with the real image, with a small difference: the Needle looks like one peak in reallity and not with the second peak.

Needle.jpg

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first drawing at the left just vindicate me when I stated how Deering and the two soldiers found the Gonzalez-Polka-Haywood-etc. mine and not the LDM. The sketch is almost identical with the real image, with a small difference: the Needle looks like one peak in reallity and not with the second peak.

View attachment 1734044

markmar,

Richard Peck letter  - Copy.jpg Clay on Peters mesa Weavers N. 2.jpg

I took this photo of Clay Worst while we were in the Superstition Mountains several years back.
Clay believed he was near the site depicted in the drawing #1.
There is a mine nearby where this photo was taken.
Clay never said definitely which mine he thought it might be, but like yourself doubted if it was the Dutchman.

Best,

Matthew

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another similar view ?

Attachments

• 100_0205.JPG
    100_0205.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_0205 Deering sketch.jpg
    100_0205 Deering sketch.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Previous photo taken from the top of this rise.
There is a 4 ft. high rock cairn just over the top and to the left about 25 yards away from that viewpoint. I neglected to get a photo of the cairn, however.

Attachments

• 100_0203 B.jpg
    100_0203 B.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pic I posted is the view from the mine and not from any top of hill that is surrounding the mine.
I believe the second and third sketch from the letter is to "tell " how the Needle should be seen as a single peak.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pic I posted is the view from the mine and not from any top of hill that is surrounding the mine.
I believe the second and third sketch from the letter is to "tell " how the Needle should be seen as a single peak.

Who was it that said the needle could be seen from the mine ?
Or that it could be seen as a single peak from there ?
What makes you so sure the 2nd and 3rd sketches are not of a nearby spire.....or even a cairn ?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who was it that said the needle could be seen from the mine ?
Or that it could be seen as a single peak from there ?
What makes you so sure the 2nd and 3rd sketches are not of a nearby spire.....or even a cairn ?

In the letter is written " ...a hand drawing of the Needle made by J Deering when at the mine-site. "
Me is who says the Needle could be seen from the mine as a single peak.
But the fact Chunning searched in the lower LaBarge from where the Needle could be seen as a single peak, says a lot.

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
In the letter is written " ...a hand drawing of the Needle made by J Deering when at the mine-site. "
Me is who says the Needle could be seen from the mine as a single peak.
But the fact Chunning searched in the lower LaBarge from where the Needle could be seen as a single peak, says a lot.

Can you post a copy of this letter?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread