DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
That story was told in the book titled “The Killer Mountains”, I have tried to track down where Glen Magil or the writer Curt Gentry got the story but so far (a few years now) I have had no luck.

It's very likely fictional, and also very likely something that Celeste Jones invented as an excuse to blow up Weaver's Needle which she was obsessed with. Perhaps that is why Dave's contact doesn't want to talk about it- because he realized he had been fooled into wasting his time with Jones.

Mc4500

Mar 7, 2013
Arizona
Hello Wayne, will you share where you got the clue about a N-S line between four peaks and WN?
thanks in advance

Unnamed Map.jpg

Is this the same thing?

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alan m,

On page 15 of the Brownie Holmes manuscript Brownie states Waltz told his father, ..... go through the saddle and on up a low ridge, and when you get on the highest point of the ridge you can look north and the Four Peaks are lined up to look as one peak. In the other direction you will see a high needle, (pointed rock). In the canyon under you is my hidden camp.

That is word for word from the original copy of the Holmes manuscript (1944).

Matthew

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Wayne, will you share where you got the clue about a N-S line between four peaks and WN?
thanks in advance

From the various sources of "clues".

You can see Weaver's Needle to the south and Four Peaks to the north where Four Peaks looks like one peak.

Go to First Water, then to Second Water, then take the old Government trail to San Carlos. Where the trail turns south, you will see over the point of the ridge, you can look north and the Four Peaks are lined up to look like one peak. In the other direction you will see a high needle-pointed rock. In the canyon under you is the hidden camp. You can't get down there because it is too steep, but go to the mouth of the canyon and then back. You can find the rock house with very little difficulty. You won't be able to see it until you are right upon it. After finding the camp, come back out of the canyon. Across the canyon and up it is a side canyon. Go up this side canyon to a cave. Opposite the cave is a tunnel and the mine.

20) One needs to climb up about 40 feet to see Weavers Needle to the south. (Waltz)

If I find any other examples, I'll add them to this post later.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
alan m,

On page 15 of the Brownie Holmes manuscript Brownie states Waltz told his father, ..... go through the saddle and on up a low ridge, and when you get on the highest point of the ridge you can look north and the Four Peaks are lined up to look as one peak. In the other direction you will see a high needle, (pointed rock). In the canyon under you is my hidden camp.

Matthew
Thank you Matthew, I do not put any faith in the Holmes manuscript, the fact that this clue is not possible to view anywhere within the Superstitions is one of the many reasons that I doubt the validity of the Holmes manuscript.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
From the various sources of "clues".

You can see Weaver's Needle to the south and Four Peaks to the north where Four Peaks looks like one peak.

Go to First Water, then to Second Water, then take the old Government trail to San Carlos. Where the trail turns south, you will see over the point of the ridge, you can look north and the Four Peaks are lined up to look like one peak. In the other direction you will see a high needle-pointed rock. In the canyon under you is the hidden camp. You can't get down there because it is too steep, but go to the mouth of the canyon and then back. You can find the rock house with very little difficulty. You won't be able to see it until you are right upon it. After finding the camp, come back out of the canyon. Across the canyon and up it is a side canyon. Go up this side canyon to a cave. Opposite the cave is a tunnel and the mine.

20) One needs to climb up about 40 feet to see Weavers Needle to the south. (Waltz)

If I find any other examples, I'll add them to this post later.
Thank you Wayne, again, this is not possible, unless the “four peaks” are not THE Four Peaks.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Wayne, again, this is not possible, unless the “four peaks” are not THE Four Peaks.

There is a place along a ridge line where both can be seen, with FP to the north and WN to the south, but not with either in their entirety.
The four peaks did not also have individual names in those days, so Waltz couldn't have named what he could see as anything else.
Or even the mountain he was on at the time.

Last edited:

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alan m,

I fully understand your not believing the Holmes manuscript. Everyone must make that decision for themselves. I believe the part about 4 peaks looking as one because I have been on that ground and found things that fit with those directions. That is my findings and I don't expect anyone else to buy into what I've found or believe. We all have to do our reading and put boots on the ground to test out what we've read.

Best,

Matthew

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
alan m,

I fully understand your not believing the Holmes manuscript. Everyone must make that decision for themselves. I believe the part about 4 peaks looking as one because I have been on that ground and found things that fit with those directions. That is my findings and I don't expect anyone else to buy into what I've found or believe. We all have to do our reading and put boots on the ground to test out what we've read.

Best,

Matthew
Please understand that I am not trying to argue or be difficult, but I must ask, were the things you discovered related to the LDM?.
as you probably know, there are some who believe that Waltz found his gold West of the Superstitions, more around Goldfield, this area is the only one where the Four Peaks can be viewed as one, but I am sure that WN cannot be seen from there.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Please understand that I am not trying to argue or be difficult, but I must ask, were the things you discovered related to the LDM?.
as you probably know, there are some who believe that Waltz found his gold West of the Superstitions, more around Goldfield, this area is the only one where the Four Peaks can be viewed as one, but I am sure that WN cannot be seen from there.
you can see wn from the goldfield area but not at goldfield...you have to go a little north by doc rosencrans claim to see it

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can see wn from the goldfield area but not at goldfield...you have to go a little north by doc rosencrans claim to see it

But to the east, not to the south.
So too far away from a northward line towards Four Peaks.
A topo view showing the line area and 5mi radius by EEThr.

Attachments

• EEThr map.jpg
    EEThr map.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 96

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5 miles radius is wrong. Actually the clue says " a circle 5 miles in diameter with the WN in the center ".
So the radius should be 2,5 miles.

Mc4500

Mar 7, 2013
Arizona

Or the needle is not Weavers needle, I believe both are possibilities. I have some evidence that points me to believe both of the possibilities.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
alan m,

Matthew
I believe this to be fact about 4 Peaks. I do not have a pic, but have seen it.

Edit: Matthew, thanks for posting this from the manuscript. Pretty specific directions, once at the saddle.
Sincerely, Idaho Dutch

Last edited:

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
4-Peaks as 1 and the Saddle

alan m,

Matthew

At the upper left of the ravine that is represented below sure looks like it fits the description of the saddle, and I can confirm that hiking from that saddle to the high point of the south ridge of the ravine is where I saw 4-peaks as 1. (edit - at the high point) :)
The Ravine.jpg

Sincerely, Idaho

Last edited:

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a place along a ridge line where both can be seen, with FP to the north and WN to the south, but not with either in their entirety.
The four peaks did not also have individual names in those days, so Waltz couldn't have named what he could see as anything else.
Or even the mountain he was on at the time.

somehiker,
The ridgeline you speak of . . . North end of Black Top Mesa . . . just before it drops down into Needle Canyon to the North. . .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread