YOUR OPINION AND WHY - All welcome to join the debate - DID PIRATES BURY TREASURES ?

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the time the one brick was last seen with a jeweler...
Who stated... "At $32 an ounce, the brick, if it is solid gold would be worth $2,784

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill stop now.

Until next time...
Tune in next time for another "did they bury treasure or did they not"...

Same Treasure site...
Same Treasure thread...

*yawn*

Well... I gotta leave you with this thought...

The treasure craze was IMO reaching a frenzy in the fifties...
Art McKee was a major inspiration for this...
It went strong through the sixties... and slowly kinda leveled off in the 70's...
In 1980... Mel hit...
And it started again...
In 85 he hit again... This time it was the motherload... nothing had been seen like that...
And TH'n became RAMPANT...It made the fifties look like school kids playing in the yard.
Hence...
Why the laws were put into place... and areas of "interest" were bought up by the state... and donated of course...
And the "kibosh" was put in the "treasure hunter".

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
No story...
This is government doc.
No Gomez... who btw did and also existed...
Juan Gomez claimed to have been the cabin boy of Gaspar (I understand why this story appeals to you), and is credited as the originator of the Gaspar legend.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Different periods of Pirate history saw some loot being buried in large quantities. I believe that Henry Jennings buried a substantial amount of the 1715 silver he had looted from the salvors camp near Sebastian Inlet. After being asked to leave Jamaica by the Governor he sailed to a small island, which is now part of Puerto Rico, and made a deposit in a cave, and then blasted the side of a mountain down to cover the entrance. It is supposedly still there, and a treasure recovery group was excavating with heavy equipment during WWII when a German U-boat spotted their activities and thinking it was a military operation on the island, it surfaced and opened fire with it's deck gun on their recovery effort, blowing up most of their heavy equipment, and ending their attempt. The TH'ers gave it up, and for various reasons never returned after the war was over to complete their recovery. I believe in that treasure myself, all from my research on it.
I've done a lot of solid research on Pirates, and they had a very organized society. They had their own written language, which nobody now living can read. They also had a retirement colony on Madagascar, where old and ailing Pirates could go and live out their days, safe from prosecution in a commune that was set up and financed by forced contributions from within the Pirate society.
For the most part though it was probably more "easy come, easy go" than any concentrated effort to save up enough real treasure to have to bury it for security reasons.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ECS... you are incredulous.

And just because you wanted...
and have dreamed of...
being a cabin boy...
does not mean others have the same aspiration.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just in case you need it...

in·cred·u·lous - /inˈkrejələs/ - adjective: incredulous

(of a person or their manner) unwilling or unable to believe something.
"an incredulous gasp"

synonyms: disbelieving, skeptical, unbelieving, distrustful, mistrustful, suspicious, doubtful, dubious, unconvinced; cynical
"we were incredulous when the congressman was not more forthcoming in his first broadcast interview about the case"

Figured I would save you a goggle search... :P

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw ...

You may like this article...

------------------
INDIALANTIC, Fla. — It is the stuff of pirate legends, but do not waste your breath asking Joel Ruth on what stretch of Florida's Treasure Coast he found his hoard of Spanish pieces of eight - waiting to be scratched out of the sand with bare fingers and toes.

Treasure hunters guard their secrets.

Especially, if like Ruth, they have just found about 180 near-mint silver coins worth more than $40,000.

To most Floridians, hurricane season is the time to board up windows and dread the worst. But to professional and amateur treasure seekers, it is the time to hit the beaches and hunt lost riches.

"It's why we're called the Treasure Coast," said Ruth, a bookish 52-year-old marine archaeologist with an African parrot named Euclid who has learned to squawk "Pieces o' eight."

It takes the big storms like Jeanne and Frances to rake several feet of sand off the beaches and dunes and expose gold, silver and gems sunk and scattered centuries ago.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Btw ...

You may like this article...

------------------
INDIALANTIC, Fla. — It is the stuff of pirate legends, but do not waste your breath asking Joel Ruth on what stretch of Florida's Treasure Coast he found his hoard of Spanish pieces of eight - waiting to be scratched out of the sand with bare fingers and toes.

Treasure hunters guard their secrets.

Especially, if like Ruth, they have just found about 180 near-mint silver coins worth more than $40,000.

To most Floridians, hurricane season is the time to board up windows and dread the worst. But to professional and amateur treasure seekers, it is the time to hit the beaches and hunt lost riches.

"It's why we're called the Treasure Coast," said Ruth, a bookish 52-year-old marine archaeologist with an African parrot named Euclid who has learned to squawk "Pieces o' eight."

It takes the big storms like Jeanne and Frances to rake several feet of sand off the beaches and dunes and expose gold, silver and gems sunk and scattered centuries ago.

Shipwreck related more than a buried cache. Ruth watched/watches certain wreck areas after storms.
Add unsalvaged by crew wreck sites, and a lot more area opens to potential recoveries than strictly where stolen stuff was buried deliberately on land.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shhhhh !!!I know...

It was for ECS :P

I was "chumming" the water :P

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Gomez payed for his entire life in gold.
When he died it was frenzy... the people that knew him had to hide...
Hunters came from all over the state to look for where he was getting them.
One guy had a heart attack and died in the search I was told as a kid...
Since Gomez died in 1900, this is lore based on hearsay.

freflite

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2011
Jonesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
I think it is only logical that the smart pirates knew they might need a stash later at some point. I'm not at all sure of how much, but it stands to reason that since pirates in general would not or could not use what few banks there were, the ground was a conveniant place for them. A case in point about one such recovery, if memory serves me, happened in North Carolina with Blackbeard. Apparently areound 1920 some trappers found a rectangle hole the size of a chest with drag marks to the water. Someone either had a map or otherwise knew the location of a chest and made off with it. From a common sense standpoint, I really do think they did bury treasure to some degree.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh...

Some common sense is refreshing... :)

You know...
This is exactly what I am talking about...

I guess many believe that pirates roamed around with their "sacks of money"... heh

Just imagine...
You... the only guy... who did not "blow" his money...
Surrounded by a bunch of murderers that have...
They are broke... you are not...

You will soon be.
And if things go awry... you could be worse than broke.

OH wait... while drinking in town... my money will be safe back on the ship !!!
I have a locker !
With a lock !
:P

OH wait !!! its ok... The captain is watching it all...
And while in town he will pay for it all...
So while I am ordering the lobster and expensive things...
And the expensive whores...
And I eat and drink more than most...
and I want a new sword... and I want a new this or that... - - SEE where this would be heading ?

Wrong...
Each has his "pay" / "share".
To do with what each wants...
Only logical and sensible way to avoid a skirmish and long worn out problems that result in arguments and such... just like today.

It would be divided...
And a main share would be held in safekeeping as an incentive...
Of which it would be kept somewhere where the temptation would not be in sight.

Lets say 60 men on ship...
20 are unhappy...
And treasure is down in the hold...
IF you were able to take the ship and "dispose" of the other 40...
These thoughts would be constant amongst greedy thieves...

Funny thing happens to men when around large amounts of gold...
The only way to "defuse" this would be to remove the temptation...

Silks and spices and these items WOULD stay on board...
To be traded FOR MORE GOLD...
Which would be spent...
The "pile" would remain as incentive to "keep everyone in line" and going for a common goal...
OR AT LEAST this would be the "pitch"...

Plus no one is gonna have "silk fever" and plot to take over the ship for these... heh
They will as a group "dispose of these items together...
And eat/drink this money away.

Gotta remember... to some in this world...
No matter how much they got in the "Split"...
It is never enough when faced with "how much it could be"...
And in these persons eyes... it was "ok"... but it could have been / should have been bigger...

Do away with some or most of the other "splitties"...
And your "split" could be a lot bigger...
And if all goes to plan...
You will have a ship as well.

This is the problem with gold greed/fever...
IT makes men crazy.

Last edited:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes and no. The larger caches found were, are most likely I believe the result of a situation or plan gone astray. A ship run aground or the contents of a hold being secreted away and buried in the night to give the ship speed to flea if being chased. Hard for me to believe that a ship full of criminals would band together and agree to bury a treasure, leave it be, keep it a secret, and trust that no one would come back at another time to steal it unless a dire situation required it. Pirates jumped ships and crews changed, how would you know if you would ever be able to return to recover it, they were nomads? I believe it more likely that individuals buried small pokes in frequented ports as a means to safeguard it, or in circumstances where they couldn't get a letter of credit. A letter of credit valid in the many ports the pirates used would be a more practical solution for a deckhand with an uncertain future. Again the logistics of a single pirate being able to bury his nest egg undetected is probably far fetched and logistically impossible. It all comes down to secrecy and trust. If I could and was in the area I'd focus my searches for caches and hoardes within walking distance of the major pirate friendly ports, not deserted islands.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ECS... I have to ask...
I am sure you are busy private messaging... but if you could break away from your campaign...

Why would I just hand out information of this nature in order to try and prove something to you ?
After years of archival research.
So many hours of invested time and work.
To be "coerced" / "manipulated" into revealing such a unique and possibly history changing discovery / revelation / theory...

Do you really take people here or myself as such fools ?

You really are "reaching" here aren't you.

Your Chinese astrological/zodiac sign must be the mosquito...

for you are like one in many ways.

:)

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just figured/assumed that since you would msg me often back when you debated with BigDog in his thread...
In an effort to sway my opinion of him or what have you...

That you were doing the same here.

:P

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Wrong again, my friend.
I just hope that you don't become another whiner when someone expresses a difference of opinion.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a whino... I like beer... and whiskey :P