Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small jackpot...

My Garda source forgot to order...so I drove around town going to places with little hope of finding anything. The third place was a small credit union that I never bothered with...$14 loose halves: 1-40%. I was feeling pretty good about the one silver...I skipped my dump banks...then I went to a place that usually acts like I'm crazy for asking...they had $2.50 loose and $150 cwr halves. I hit a few more places with just a few loose here or there. The CWR's were labeled with years 72, 73, 77-78, and one said 60's and it had 14 40%. Final totals:

$150 cwr halves: 14-40%
$22.50 loose halves: 1-40%

So much better than a skunky Garda box. Sometimes it's a blessing in disguise when they don't order.

Attachments

• image-293276929.jpg
    image-293276929.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say that sure made up for you not getting your box order. Those r some great finds from just $172.50. Good thing that roll labeled 60's wasn't lying lol.

I've only got $50 in nickels to search till I get my two half boxes on Monday. I just hope I can finish the month off with at least a little more silver.

H$H!

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks silverface...it's nice to get a couple ounces of silver in one roll.

Good luck with the nickels. I have a couple of boxes of dimes to go through this weekend. I hope we both get some more shiny stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2-$250 dime boxes: 2-Rosie's

I'm only five dimes away from my goal. I guess I shot too low. I am averaging 1-2 dimes per box.
image-809378195.jpg

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Almost a full roll of silver dimes and nearly 11 rolls of silver halves and two silver dollars is some great hunting! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$250 box of dimes: skunk but several rolls had extra dimes for a total extra $1.70

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Better to have rolls that are long rather than short lol. And $1.70 in extra dimes is more than 1 silver dime is worth....well as of today anyway. This time next year I wouldn't count on it lol.

Good luck with your boxes later this week!

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did five dime boxes today in an effort to meet my goal of a full roll of dimes early. Success! The first two boxes each had a Rosie, the third box had four Rosie's, and the last two boxes were skunks yielding one nonsilver Canadian each.

$1250 dime boxes: 6-Rosie's
image-840511698.jpg
So, I met my goal of a full roll of silver dimes plus one two months ahead of schedule. I guess the goal really helped me push through.
image-4098451972.jpg
Got to dump my dimes and turn them into five boxes of halves over the next three days. I hope it goes smoothly and yields some dream boxes.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your roll of dimes! I don't search dimes anymore but I think my totals on dimes a couple of years ago were about a roll or so also including a few Mercs. So you're gonna dump your five dime boxes and turn them into five half boxes? That sounds like a great deal lol. If my banks would let me do that I'd go back to searching dimes again too lol. That's a nice 100% return on your money right there, just kidding.....I know u didn't mean it exactly like that. :)

Well Im looking forward to my two half boxes on Thursday also. I hope we both get some good boxes to finish the month.

H$H!

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Silverface...it's interesting how $1000 can buy $2500 in coins provided you have a dumping system. I haven't done five half boxes in the same week for a while. So, I am trying a new configuration of dump banks this week. Hopefully, the groans will be minimal. Good luck with your boxes as well.

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$60 cwr halves: skunk and burnt to a crisp
$12.50 loose halves: skunk

The burnt halves were awful. I went ahead and date searched them. I guess I would have kept any silver...I suppose.

My first of five boxes today did not arrive on schedule. So, I have to rethink my dump strategy but it will work some how.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Those halves must have really been burnt bad. Were they damaged other than just being really dark? If any had been silver they still would have had intrinsic value even if they were burnt and damaged. Silver sure gets burnt when its melted and refined lol.

Good luck with your half boxes. :)

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those burnt CWR's from earlier this week were pretty crummy with melted plastic on some. Also, by the end I realized that they had already been date checked by someone else because they had scrapped away the burnt plastic where the date was. Rolled them back up (they would not make it through a counting machine), put a few fresh halves on the ends to avoid any questions by a teller who opened an end, and dumped them. I was even concerned that if the teller weighed the rolls then they would all be off (some felt hollow while others weighed too much). I put BNS on the side of the rolls which stands for Burned and No Silver.

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...I did my first two half boxes of five.

Brinks boxes of halves #30 an #31: skunks

Too bad...I already have my next two boxes. Hopefully something good.

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Four rolls into box #3 this week and I have already had a reverse ender, a big 1937 penny and 3-40% (including the ender). I hope the trend holds up!
image-2583242688.jpg

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Final results of my best half box so far:

Brinks half box #32: 29-40%, 1-Ben, 76s clad, and a 1937 Big penny

image-4117394583.jpg

StevePa

Sep 6, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on an awesome box. Hopefully you hit another soon.

Steven

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!

My 4th box this week was a skunk. So, three skunks and one with 30 silver halves.

Brinks half box #33: skunk, 2013D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread