Just moved to South Florida

BloodyTongue

Nov 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't wait to give my (hardly used) 15 year-old Whites Quantum II a workout on the beaches of Pompano and LBTS.

I used that and a light-weight, spade-shovel for seven days straight; two to three hours each day. I found about a hundred coins, a medallion, and a nice ring. All between the water lines.

I posted the ring info (nothing specific) on Craigslist lost-and-found, and on Lostandfoundbindotcom. I wasn't sure what others do with found valuables. I asked the local pawn shop, and he was agreeable to look at it after the waiting period.

Unfortunately, I had to leave town for a while, and can't wait to get back. I'm thinking about what upgrades I can make to my modest equipment.

BT

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BloodyTongue

Nov 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, I went down to Hollywood FL for the SFTH Club meeting on 11/05/12, and no one showed-up, except my son and I, and a young lady from Miami. She said that she called and emailed, and never got a response, so drove up. Same story with us; called and emailed - no response.

Anyone know what's happening with South Florida Treasure Hunters Club?

hurricane dale

Nov 1, 2009
miami,florida
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO, minelab excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
word of advice if your new to south florida.. do not metal detect schools or parks its forbidden.. atleast in maimi-dade and broward counties..they will confiscate your detector..they got some dude last week

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
BTW, I went down to Hollywood FL for the SFTH Club meeting on 11/05/12, and no one showed-up, except my son and I, and a young lady from Miami. She said that she called and emailed, and never got a response, so drove up. Same story with us; called and emailed - no response.

Anyone know what's happening with South Florida Treasure Hunters Club?

Where did you go to attend the meeting?
I am a member but did not make the Nov.meeting due to my work schedule. Dec. meeting is a christmas dinner for membership. Guests can attend but there will be a fee. No meetings are conducted during Dec. we just bring and donate toys at the Christmas dinner. Probably your best bet is to attend in Jan. 2013. We meet at Davis Park Community Center on Hollywood Blvd and 1 blk. west of 35th Ave--near firestation--first Monday of each month unless meeting falls on a holiday.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a true beach detector that can hunt the dry as well as the wet sand you are well off with a Sov GT, the land version of the Excal. But if you want to hit the water the Excal II is the way to go as it will detect a gold ring under a railroad spike without masking just like the Sov GT. For the dry sand you can use about any detector, even the entry level ones.

Coin Sniper

Oct 16, 2012
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hurricane dale said:
word of advice if your new to south florida.. do not metal detect schools or parks its forbidden.. atleast in maimi-dade and broward counties..they will confiscate your detector..they got some dude last week

Dale, can you point me to where I can find information about it being prohibited to detect in parks? I'm new to the hobby and have detected twice at the park by my home (second time with a Miami-Dade police officer watching from his vehicle), but nobody complained. There were no signs indicating that metal detecting was prohibited and I covered my holes and removed all of the trash that I found. I definitely don't want to break any laws, so please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

OP
OP
B

BloodyTongue

Nov 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for advice.

We went to the Hollywood Cultural and Community Center (library) on A1A, just like the website says. Hopefully, the website will be updated. I will be going back and forth to PA, until I sell my house there; with luck soon.

hurricane dale

Nov 1, 2009
miami,florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here you go this from miami-dade parks website of rules & regulations....same goes for broward county parks and schools.. NOTICE SECTION (E) no metal detecting..... just go the beach ..its legal there[h=2]Rules & Regulations[/h]Park Property
Rule 8. Preservation of property

• (a) As all property in all parks is County property no person entering or being within parks or areas operated and maintained by the Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department shall violate the provisions of by offense against property.
  • (b) No person shall vandalize, deface or destroy any park property or equipment within a park site. Ord. No. 59-14, Rules, Art. 5, § 2, 6-16-59; Ord. No. 86-64, § 1, 9-16-86; Ord. No. 95-82, § 1, 5-2-95)
  • (c) No person shall damage or remove plants or plant materials, trees or parts thereof or any flowers, nuts, seeds, or fruits whatsoever, except that park personnel may be empowered to make such removals and scientists and students of botany may be issued a Special Permit for specimen collecting by the Department Director or his/her designee.
  • (d) No person shall excavate or remove any artifact from any archeologically sensitive areas. Of particular concern are Native American burial grounds and living sites.
  • (e) No person shall make any excavation by tool, equipment, blasting, or other means or utilize metal detectors or shall construct or erect any building or structure of whatever kind, whether permanent or temporary, or run or string any public utility into, upon, across or over any parks, recreation and open space lands unless authorized by permit or easement.
  • (f) No fires shall be built by any person against or adjacent to any park building, structure, tree or plant or near the property of others or in any area of any park except in such areas as are specifically designated for fire building, nor shall any person drop, throw and permit to be scattered by any means, hot coals, lighted matches, burning tobacco products or any other flammable material within any park area or any highway, road or street abutting or contiguous thereto.

hurricane dale

Nov 1, 2009
miami,florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here you go this from miami-dade parks website of rules & regulations....same goes for broward county parks and schools.. NOTICE SECTION (E) no metal detecting..... just go the beach ..its legal thereRules & Regulations

Park Property
Rule 8. Preservation of property

• (a) As all property in all parks is County property no person entering or being within parks or areas operated and maintained by the Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department shall violate the provisions of by offense against property.
  • (b) No person shall vandalize, deface or destroy any park property or equipment within a park site. Ord. No. 59-14, Rules, Art. 5, § 2, 6-16-59; Ord. No. 86-64, § 1, 9-16-86; Ord. No. 95-82, § 1, 5-2-95)
  • (c) No person shall damage or remove plants or plant materials, trees or parts thereof or any flowers, nuts, seeds, or fruits whatsoever, except that park personnel may be empowered to make such removals and scientists and students of botany may be issued a Special Permit for specimen collecting by the Department Director or his/her designee.
  • (d) No person shall excavate or remove any artifact from any archeologically sensitive areas. Of particular concern are Native American burial grounds and living sites.
  • (e) No person shall make any excavation by tool, equipment, blasting, or other means or utilize metal detectors or shall construct or erect any building or structure of whatever kind, whether permanent or temporary, or run or string any public utility into, upon, across or over any parks, recreation and open space lands unless authorized by permit or easement.
  • (f) No fires shall be built by any person against or adjacent to any park building, structure, tree or plant or near the property of others or in any area of any park except in such areas as are specifically designated for fire building, nor shall any person drop, throw and permit to be scattered by any means, hot coals, lighted matches, burning tobacco products or any other flammable material within any park area or any highway, road or street abutting or contiguous thereto

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Dale, why wouldn't that only pertain to just the COUNTY parks? Afterall, that is a "county" rule you cited there, for their county parks. City parks, for the cities within that county, can have their own rules for their parks, that say nothing like that.

The county has their own parks, and the city has their own parks. The rules need not necessarily be the same. For example: Just because certain states have "dire" sounding wording for their STATE parks, does not mean that ALL the "parks" in that "state" are therefore off-limits. No, of course not. It would only be the STATE level administered parks, not the sub-level county or city parks WITHIN that state.

And also, that would have no bearing on other counties in FL. It may just be that one county.

If a person in a city, within Miami-dade county, wonders if his particular city has any such rules, all he needs to do is go to that city's website. Once there, he will probably find a subsection for the parks and rec. dept. And the "rules" will maybe be there somewhere. You know, like "dogs on leash only" and "parks close at sunset", and so forth. If it is silent on the issue of "metal detectors", then presto, I guess it must not be disallowed :)

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The county I live in requires a free permit to hunt county maintained parks...you dont need anything to hunt city parks that are maintained by the city.

hurricane dale

Nov 1, 2009
miami,florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
because tom just like all states have different laws the counties and cities have different laws but, when it comes to miami-dade and broward county parks are under the same laws when it comes to metal detectors.. they fell it will become a tripping hazard if some one digs up the ground.. there are really no city parks down here..but, there are plenty of south florida beaches to detect...but, some people are too lazy to drive the 20 minutes to check them out and feel the need to sneek out to public parks down here...actually my sister is a miami dade police officer and told me that a guys detector was confiscated for detecting at tropical park here in south miami.. the guy had a 1400 dollar minelab and claimed he was new to detecting which was horse crap.. he was lying..he knew the restrictions...he snuck into the park at 430 am... why detect a park at 430 in dark in the morning with a minelab expensive detector and your new to the game? i only hit miami beach and south beach..more money and jewelry out there anyway and plus its legal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread