Beach Cuts ???

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK so this might be one of those stupid questions but I need to be sure I understanding what a beach cut is. Is the definition of a beach cut a cut through the beach where water is or has moved in a perpendicular manor from say the dry sand to the water line? Something that may be formed from storm or pooling water cutting back to the water line and during an outgoing tide.

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cut is where wave wash up on the beach and makes a wall. The wall can be from 2 inches to 20 feet. On top of the wall is dry sand and at the bottom is wet sand and or waves .

bill78

Jan 26, 2013
Camp Lejeune, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great question, I'm a real newbie at this and have had zero luck with my AT Pro at the beach here on base. I keep hearing the term "cut" and now I know what it is! Good luck with your hunting. Bill

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cut is just what the term implies, any place on the beach where the surf and/or current has cut into the sand and carved out the sand. Cuts can come in many different shapes and configurations. Typically, a beach is viewed as being a flat expanse of sand, so any "trench-type" formation that develops within this typical flat expanse of sand can be called a cut. However, for the most part the term applies to those really obvious, deep depressions with steep drops where a considerable amount of sand has been removed over a fairly large and well defined area. The advantage a cut can provide the hunter is that it often allows him to access the deeper, firmer layers where items are more likely to stratify and collect. Hope this helps.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Don't confuse different kind of "cuts". A "cut" that is a normal channel for storm drain inlets or creeks etc..., that cuts the same channel each time it rains, is NOT the same kind of "cut" that is formed perpendicular to the water's edge. The best kind of "cuts" are the cuts formed perpendicular to the water's edge, formed strictly by the waves.

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help and since posting I've found several you tube vids on beach cuts. In fact you all should take a look at the couple of dudes in Chicago MDing beach cuts. Amazing stuff.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here's a picture

This is a beach cut back in 2009 AC area of NJ

Attachments

• nice cut.jpg
    nice cut.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 208

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks like you've gotten some good definitions here. The key is finding areas where a lot of sand has been moved. Usually, you need to hit it immediately after the cut has developed as what nature giveth she will take away. IOW, the beach will begin to fill in right away. So, best to go in search of beach cuts right after storms or weather systems that develope strong winds blowing towards the beach. These winds will drive big waves onto the beach which in turn eat it away. Watch the local marine forcast for info on what's happening in your area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions