Copper Dime from Dime Box?????

drpineapple

Apr 27, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Hi all,

I went through a box of $250 dimes. I had the feeling it might be a skunk. There was a Canadian dime and a Korean 10c. I did come across another dime. It is a 1996 p and it is mostly copper colored on the back and a little around the edge on the front. I am thinking it might be a copper dime, ie one that doesn't get fully plated. The back is 90% copper colored only some silver on the leaves on the right. I just noticed the thickness is mostly uniform but at one spot it gradually thins a bit. And it is at the thining area there is no seam along the reeded edge but for 80% of the edge there appears to be a seam. I don't remember seeing seems on edges of coins, unless they are fake. I don't have a scale to weigh it (If anyone could suggest one to buy). I've attached some pictures that are missing detail. Anyone want to give their opinions? Does anyone think it is someone who was bored and chemically tried to plate it?

Attachments

• PC070009.JPG
    PC070009.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 513
  • PC070008.JPG
    PC070008.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 499
Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
user244075 said:
Hi all,

I went through a box of $250 dimes. I had the feeling it might be a skunk. There was a Canadian dime and a Korean 10c. I did come across another dime. It is a 1996 p and it is mostly copper colored on the back and a little around the edge on the front. I am thinking it might be a copper dime, ie one that doesn't get fully plated. The back is 90% copper colored only some silver on the leaves on the right. I just noticed the thickness is mostly uniform but at one spot it gradually thins a bit. And it is at the thining area there is no seam along the reeded edge but for 80% of the edge there appears to be a seam. I don't remember seeing seems on edges of coins, unless they are fake. I don't have a scale to weigh it (If anyone could suggest one to buy). I've attached some pictures that are missing detail. Anyone want to give their opinions? Does anyone think it is someone who was bored and chemically tried to plate it?

The fact that the color seems to have leached itself around the corner makes it look to me like it was something done after the fact. Maybe plating, maybe laid in something for a while. But it doens't look like a normal incomplete coin.

But I am not an expert on this topic. just an opinion

OP
OP
drpineapple

drpineapple

Apr 27, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for your reply. It is hard to say as I usually don't come across this. You can say things both ways. The color is a bit pinkish and is bleeding to the other side. But no other dimes I see have a seam along the reeded edge. I will take it to a coin dealer eventually and see what they say.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
you can try posting in the "coin" forum. those guys are always discussing errors and such. its the first "coin" one you come to when scrolling through the list of forums. i think the second one is for collections only.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread