Cu hunters dream box! ...wheat hunters nightmare

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Cu hunter's dream box! ...wheat hunter's nightmare

I ran low on coins last night, and tackled my last penny box. It wasn't sealed, and I opened it to find 50 CWR's of various sorts, all in good condition. I started looking through the first roll (I hand sort), and every coin was between 1959 and 1981. Every coin. The next roll, same thing. After awhile, I found a few 1982's and 1983's, but none that were older than 1959 and none newer than 1983. ???

For the longest time I couldn't figure it out, but what I think happened was that a CRH'er was hoarding copper, and decided to cash it in. I CRH cents to look for wheats and older, but I also hoard the few coppers I find. This turn of events was kinda cool because I know that I'm getting 91% copper rather than the 28% I usually find, but it makes searching more work than fun because I know I'm not going to find anything old.

I remember someone on the board here recently turning their copper back into the wild. This look familiar to anyone?

DSC03412.JPG

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Cu hunter's dream box! ...wheat hunter's nightmare

Silver spoon returned his copper into the wild, could be his.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Likely just an old stash of cents that have been tucked away since 1983, but they were collectors and kept the wheaties. My mother does this. I recently went through about $50 worth she just happened to find while looking for something else. Newest coin in that batch was also 1983 if I remember correctly.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other

Makes sense. If I tuned my coppers in it would be exactly the same since I pull my wheats.

TheCoinFinder

Dec 3, 2011
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Other

copper copper copper I love the old stuff more :wink:

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used