2011 Totals for Canadian Hunter

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, as I told you we don't have an opportunity to search halves here in Canada. But that doesn't take away fun of searching coin rolls.
Through occasional hunts this year I was able to recover the following:
Dimes:

-77 silver 80% dimes (13 George VI, 64 Elizabeth II)
-22 silver 65% centennial dimes
-28 silver 50% 1968 dimes
-6 silver 90% USA Roosevelt dimes

Quarters:

-5 silver 80% quarters (1964,1965,1966,1967 Centennial, 19xx George V)
-8 silver 50% quarters (4 1968, 4 1967 Centennial)

And 41.2 pounds of .999 nickel ;D

Hope to find more silver in 2012!

Almost forgot: I found a 1909 wheat cent in a penny box one time! That is the oldest of my coin finds.

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
nice finds :thumbsup:

I've still not found any Canadian silver yet myself - just an occasional CA teaser dime.

I have found a few .999 CA nickels and I seem to find several copper CA cents in every cent box which I'm always glad to find. :)

HH & HNY :occasion18:

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you mean by 65% centennial dimes. No circulation coin with that composition has been issued. And how many dimes total have you searched.

OP
OP
Canadian hunter

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
by 65% I mean that some of them are 80% and some are 50% and I'm just not into dropping them all and differentiating the pitch. When I will have to sell them, most dealers recognize 1967 dimes as 65% silver content, because of that discrepancy. I didn't count how many dime boxes I did, but it is about 40 roughly, so 10000$ face.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not a chance of searching halfs in Canada?

OP
OP
Canadian hunter

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Darth Walker your question was already answered in another topic:

Quote from: Canadian hunter on Today at 08:10:41 am
Quote from: palidin20603 on Today at 07:38:04 am
Why don't you do Canadian Halves? I found a 1963 CA Halve in my box of US halves last week.
We don't have that many halves in Canada. All minted were not intended for circulation and especially in 60's mint made them only for collectors.
Canadian Guy, for 2011 new boxes, did you see the brown paper seal on them?
Good score on those silver dimes, recently pulled out of 32 rolls a 1947 no maple leaf dime
Canadian hunter you are somewhat wrong. The 50 cent piece has been minted for circulation since the beginning of Canadian coinage and it was a well circulated coin. In the 60s they were made for circulation and people circulated them. But when they made them from pure nickel, instead of silver and they reduced the size, they still made them for circulation but they became less popular. As people started hoarding silver coins, many 50 cent pieces were amongst the hoards so they became uncommon to find in circulation. They became uncommon to the point of if you found a 50 cent piece you stashed it away, silver or not. This trend of keeping all 50 cent pieces became very popular to the point where virtually none were seen in circulation. People would get some from the bank and just hoard them away. But all this time the mint made them for circulation. In 2002 for the queens 50th anniversary of her coronation the mint made an unsuccessful attempt to get people to circulate the 50 cent piece and they minted over 14 million of them for circulation. All the same people did not use the 50 cent piece and the mint did not produce any for circulation in 2003 or 2004 because they had plenty of the coins in storage to meet the modest demand. Then in 2005 the mint produced 200,000 50 cent pieces that were NIFC and to be sold to collectors. On the collector market the 50 cent piece is very popular. So beginning in 2005 the 50 cent piece was officially produced not for circulation. It is still made but not for circulation. If a bank has a 50 cent piece it will have been brought in by someone who, chances are stashed it away a while ago. So banks do not typically carry the 50 cent coin and that is why we in Canada can not search them.
And Canadian hunter you should brush up on your facts about coinage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread