Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Upvote 0

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't win them all. You have had some great scores. Just the ups and downs of the hobby.

HH

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you posting this or pity? a 24 box skunk streak is nothing, you know that. Keep at it buddy.
If you quit now, you know for sure next week will be awesome for another CRH'er in your area. :tongue3:

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Are you posting this or pity? a 24 box skunk streak is nothing, you know that. Keep at it buddy.
If you quit now, you know for sure next week will be awesome for another CRH'er in your area. :tongue3:

Not so much pity as a result report. Think of it as a bad fishing report

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the feeling, i've cut back in things too.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Completely understand. I quit hunting boxes in my area after around $25,000 when boxes were averaging (1) 40%er/$1,000 searched. It just wasn't worth my time, and it wasn't really fun. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've quit entirely for the last year, because I can't deal with the devil's spawn anymore (switched to CU's).
I have noticed a lot of collection dumps found recently on here, reminds me of hunting 30 years ago.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
quit over a year ago. really don't miss it, but I read the board sometimes (like tonight). My skunk ended at 107 boxes, and is still intact, as I quit before finding another silver. But that is in AZ, and out here the odds have ALWAYS been poor compared to back east. Only thing I've been searching for about a year now is Ikes. Can order them from a few branches, and get a few morgans and Peace, plus can sell the ikes for a profit to boot. NO more halves though. gave up.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been resorting to simply asking cashiers and an occasional teller. The thrill is gone. I did however, get swinging the detector again.

its really sad to see the diehards falling away

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
I've been resorting to simply asking cashiers and an occasional teller. The thrill is gone. I did however, get swinging the detector again.

its really sad to see the diehards falling away

Its just crazy to think the totals drop off the way they have. When people like myself are used to getting atleast 20-30 silvers for a batch of 10-15 boxes, down to this it's disheartening.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its just crazy to think the totals drop off the way they have. When people like myself are used to getting atleast 20-30 silvers for a batch of 10-15 boxes, down to this it's disheartening.

I hear ya, my boxes have went from bad to worse lately too.

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot more hunters out there now. Local news a few years ago ran a report on the treasure in your change and I have seen a spike in the number of hunters.
Keep in mind though more people are also ignorant of the value in coin and I have watched people clearing a family members estate dump a water bottle with high silver content into a grocery store coin machine not knowing the actual value of the coins.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well , this is a story where the bad news is actually the good news -stay with me here - If the widespread perception is that
the goodies are going away , a whole lot of coin roll hunters are falling by the wayside (witness this post and the responses)
meanwhile the supply of collectible coins is still being fed by the unknowing and the uncaring as another generation dies
handing their collections to their ignorant children and grandchildren . Finds have always been random , and "skunks" are
just the thing that happens between finds . "Seek and you shall find".

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a lot more hunters out there now. Local news a few years ago ran a report on the treasure in your change and I have seen a spike in the number of hunters.
Keep in mind though more people are also ignorant of the value in coin and I have watched people clearing a family members estate dump a water bottle with high silver content into a grocery store coin machine not knowing the actual value of the coins.
Are you sure you don't mean a lot less hunters out there? Why would there be more hunters when silver prices have dropped more than half the last three years. I don't think everyone would pick up roll hunting just for the thrill of the finds, which for many on here have been slim.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe new CRH's think that $16.50 per ounce of silver is great, until they find out how much it REALLY WAS back a few years ago, then they say why didn't I start back in 2008.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread