to patent, or not to patent

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
here is an excellent article on the basis for intellectual property rights

How Intellectual Property Hampers the Free Market

Advocates of free-market capitalism commonly believe in the legitimacy of intellectual property (IP) because IP rights are thought to be important to a system of private property.But are they? There are good reasons to think that IP is not actually property—that it is actually antithetical to a private-property, free-market order. By intellectual property, I mean primarily patent and copyright.
It’s important to understand the origins of these concepts. As law professor Eric E. Johnson notes, “The monopolies now understood as copyrights and patents were originally created by royal decree, bestowed as a form of favoritism and control. As the power of the monarchy dwindled, these chartered monopolies were reformed, and essentially by default, they wound up in the hands of authors and inventors.”
Patents were exclusive monopolies to sell various goods and services for a limited time. The word patent, historian Patricia Seed explains, comes from the Latin patente, signifying open letters. Patents were “open letters” granted by the monarch authorizing someone to do something—to be, say, the only person to sell a certain good in a certain area, to homestead land in the New World on behalf of the crown, and so on.
It’s interesting that many defenders of IP—such as patent lawyers and even some libertarians—get indignant if you call patents or copyright a monopoly. “It’s not a monopoly; it’s a property right,” they say. “If it’s a monopoly then your use of your car is a monopoly.” But patents are State grants of monopoly privilege. One of the first patent statutes was England’s Statute of Monopolies of 1624, a good example of truth in labeling.
Granting patents was a way for the State to raise money without having to impose a tax. Dispensing them also helped secure the loyalty of favorites. The patentee in return received protection from competition. This was great for the State and the patentee but not for competition or the consumer.
In today’s system we’ve democratized and institutionalized intellectual property. Now anyone can apply. You don’t have to go to the king or be his buddy. You can just go to the patent office. But the same thing happens. Some companies apply for patents just to keep the wolves at bay. After all, if you don’t have patents someone might sue you or reinvent and patent the same ideas you are using. If you have a patent arsenal, others are afraid to sue you. So companies spend millions of dollars to obtain patents for defensive purposes.
Large companies rattle their sabers or sue each other, then make a deal, say, to cross-license their patents to each other. That’s fine for them because they have protection from each other’s competition. But what does it do to smaller companies? They don’t have big patent arsenals or a credible countersuit threat. So patents amount to a barrier to entry, the modern version of mercantilist protectionism.
What about copyright? The roots literally lie in censorship. It was easy for State and church to control thought by controlling the scribes, but then the printing press came along, and the authorities worried that they couldn’t control official thought as easily. So Queen Mary created the Stationer’s Company in 1557, with the exclusive franchise over book publishing, to control the press and what information the people could access. When the charter of the Stationer’s Company expired, the publishers lobbied for an extension, but in the Statute of Anne (1710) Parliament gave copyright to authors instead. Authors liked this because it freed their works from State control. Nowadays they use copyright much as the State originally did: to censor and ban books. (More below.)
IP, American Style

The American system of IP began with the U.S. Constitution. Article 1, Section 8, Clause 8 authorizes (but doesn’t require) Congress “To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.”
Despite modern IP proponents’ claims to the contrary, the American founders did not view intellectual property as a natural right but only as a policy tool to encourage innovation. Yet they were nervous about monopoly privilege, which is why patents and copyrights were authorized only for a limited time. Even John Locke, whose thought influenced the Founding Fathers, did not view copyright and patent as natural rights. Nor did he maintain that property homesteading applied to ideas. It applied only to scarce physical resources.
Granted, some state constitutions had little versions of copyright before the American Constitution. (See Tom W. Bell, Intellectual Privilege: Copyright, Common Law, and the Common Good, part 1, chapter 3, section B.1.) On occasion, the language of natural rights was used to defend it, but this was just cover for the monopolies they granted to special interests. Natural rights do not expire after 15 years. Natural rights are not extended to Americans only. Natural rights wouldn’t exclude many types of innovation and intellectual creativity and cover only a few arbitrary types.
And what is the result of this system? In the case of patents we have a modern statute administered by a huge federal bureaucracy that grants monopolies on the production and trade of various things, which means holders may ask the federal courts to order the use of force to stop competitors. But the competitors have not done anything that justifies force. They merely have used information to guide their actions with respect to their own property. Is that compatible with private property and the free market?
Examples of Censorship

In the case of copyright the result has been actual censorship, as recent examples will show. According to Engadget, Russian authorities, with Microsoft’s approval, used IP law as a “pretext for seizing computers and other materials from political opponents of the government and news organizations.” In another case Susan Boyle, the English singer from Britain’s Got Talent, was prevented from singing a Lou Reed song on America’s Got Talent because of copyright. Then there was the case in which a 1922 German silent film, Nosferatu, was deemed a derivative work of Bram Stoker’s Dracula and ordered destroyed.
One of the most outrageous cases concerns the novel Sixty Years Later, Coming Through the Rye, Frederik Colting’s sequel to J. D. Salinger’s The Catcher in the Rye. Salinger got the courts to ban publication of the book on copyright grounds. “I am pretty blown away by the judge’s decision,” Colting said. “Call me an ignorant Swede, but the last thing I thought possible in the U.S. was that you banned books.”
These examples will be dismissed as abuses of an otherwise good law, but it’s the law itself that is the abuse.
Although natural rights are often invoked, the most common argument for IP, even among libertarians, is utilitarian, or “wealth-maximization,” which was the approach of the Founding Fathers: IP monopoly encourages innovation and therefore creates net wealth. In other words, the benefits outweigh the costs.
No doubt the patent system imposes costs on American society. I’ve estimated the net cost at $38–48 billion a year, and this is probably conservative. The costs include patent attorney salaries, fees, litigation, increased insurance premiums, and higher-priced products—plus innovation and research lost when companies concentrate on patentable innovations and allocate fewer resources to more basic scientific research, or when an entire field is avoided for fear of patent-infringement lawsuits.
Anyone who argues that patents yield a net gain is obliged to estimate the total cost (including suppressed innovation) as well as the value of any innovation thereby stimulated. But IP proponents never provide these estimates. I’m no empiricist—my opposition to IP is based on principles of justice and property rights—but IP advocates make the empirical claim that we are richer because of the patent system. They say we have more innovation at a low price. Yet virtually every empirical study I’ve seen on this matter is either inconclusive or finds a net cost and/or a suppression of innovation. (I ignore here the valid Austrian objection that costs and benefits are subjective and not measurable.)
Thus a good utilitarian would have to conclude that patent and copyright laws are harmful.
Creation

Some IP advocates do make a serious natural-rights case on the grounds that the innovator has created some new, valuable thing—a song, a painting, a novel, or an invention. Because he created it, the argument goes, he is its natural owner. But this conflates the source of property rights with the source of wealth. As Ayn Rand—a strong proponent of IP—recognized (in “The Metaphysical Versus the Man-Made,” Philosophy: Who Needs It):
[COLOR=#636363 !important]The power to rearrange the combinations of natural elements is the only creative power man possesses. It is an enormous and glorious power—and it is the only meaning of the concept “creative.” “Creation” does not (and metaphysically cannot) mean the power to bring something into existence out of nothing. “Creation” means the power to bring into existence an arrangement (or combination or integration) of natural elements that had not existed before.[/COLOR]
In other words, individuals create wealth by using their intellect, creativity, and labor to transform already owned scarce resources into more valuable configurations. In a free society a producer owns the resulting products because he owned the factors transformed in the production process. The idea behind production adds nothing to the ownership claim that wasn’t already present.
Control of Physical Property

In fact, assigning property rights in ideas and other immaterial things, such as patterns or recipes, ends up restricting other people’s rights to control their physical property. Copyright and patent holders thus become, in effect, co-owners of others’ property, courtesy of the State. This is illustrated in the copyright censorship examples provided. And it is seen in cases where a patentee uses the courts to shut down competitors.
Another way to understand the error in treating information, ideas, and patterns as property is to consider IP in the context of human action. Ludwig von Mises explained in The Ultimate Foundation of Economic Science that “[t]o act means: to strive after ends, that is, to choose a goal and to resort to means in order to attain the goal sought.” Knowledge and information of course play key roles in action. As Mises puts it, “Action . . . is not simply behavior, but behavior begot by judgments of value, aiming at a definite end and guided by ideas concerning the suitability or unsuitability of definite means” (emphasis added).
Moreover, “[m]eans are necessarily always limited, i.e., scarce, with regard to the services for which man wants to use them.” This is why property rights emerged. Use of a resource by one person excludes use by another. In contrast, ownership of the information that guides action is not necessary for performing the action. Two people who each own the ingredients can simultaneously make a cake with the same recipe.
Material progress is made precisely because information is not scarce. It can be infinitely multiplied, learned, taught, and built on. The more patterns, recipes, and causal laws that are known, the greater the wealth multiplier as individuals engage in ever-more efficient and productive actions. It is good that ideas are infinitely reproducible. There is no need to impose artificial scarcity on ideas to make them more like physical resources, which—unfortunately—are scarce. As Frédéric Bastiat observed, “All innovation goes through three stages. One possesses unique knowledge and profits from it. Others imitate and share profits. Finally, the knowledge is widely shared and no longer profitable on its own which thereby inspires new knowledge.”
Patents artificially prolong the first stage at the expense of the others. Thus, IP is inimical to progress, prosperity, and freedom.
This article is derived from remarks at the 2010 Mises Institute Supporters’ Summit.
quoted from FEE.org

long article, whew
why would I post an article so disruptive ?

I am designing a chupadora (gold sucker, crevice cleaner) and have started the patent application process, which I will now stop.
A personal choice driven by my thoughts, an economic cost ? Perhaps, who knows.
But I'm pretty sure others will take my design(s) and make them better. And that is good.

I know there are other patent holders on TN, would be interested to hear their thoughts.

Please, do read the article before posting. (trying to reduce repetitive confusion)

thoughts ?

edit: will start a thread on chupadoras in a day or too

edit2: with a mod's guidance, I dropped the 'political' links

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm a big advocate of patents. Not only do I have one (US10159988 B1), but I strongly believe that without patent rights, most invention ends. The biggest single reason the US leads the world in technology is that we have strong patent protections built into our legal system. If people, or companies, couldn't have a monopoly on their inventions, why would they invest the time and effort to develop new ideas? The answer is, they wouldn't. Pretty simple. So, without the right to be the sole producer of an item (for a limited time period) technology advances die. Goodbye US economy. That's why Trump's battle with China is so critical, and he realizes it. China steals our tech, and sells it around the world, thus depriving out companies from a return on their efforts to develop new ideas.
I spent several months developing the Sweep Jig. Joe, down the street, spent his time playing golf. Why should he then be able to start making Sweep Jigs and competing with me? That would rob me of a return for the capital, in time, labor, and materials, I invested to develop my gadget. In the future (about 17 years) I lose the right to my monopoly, and it belongs to the public. I gained for my efforts, which encourages me to come up with new ideas, and the public now has something that any one of them can build, use, or produce and sell. Everybody, regardless of the effort invested, wins.
Jim

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Jim, we need to be careful as the mods will delete anything deemed 'political'; that being said . . . (I can hear the ice cracking)

the linked article specifically addresses your points, and to me is kinda persuasive

I understand that anecdotal evidence is but a single instance, yet would offer mine as an example of one instance.
I enjoy using my head: and when I look at something I am deconstructing, analyzing, and re-designing it - for my amusement.
I recently needed a crevasse cleaner-outer and the only option here in CR is to build;
so I took a gander at the 'net, redefined it and built one. It worked ok, but . . . which triggered a process that has yielded three sequential models to date.
Am now building proof-of-design prototypes to define the practical limits, then . . .
you know the process
It is nothing like any of the variations shown/offered on the 'net, but such does not define patentability, etc. more stuff to do

All this was done for me, not with any economic considerations at all; but that can be considered as well.
What I have made can be fabricated by any moderately skilled worker, i.e. any miner in any part of the world.
A product's uniqueness may not have to do with a patentable attribute, may simply be good design.
For example combining 6 fabricated and bonded pieces into one injection molded piece that will be stronger, lighter, and much cheaper.
I have done this but in China, which is now out; yes, others could do so elsewhere. Good on 'em.

Nor am I the most clever by any means !
Am sure that anyone willing to ditz with three check valves can make it more simply. (but not me, lol)

I will look at your patent.
Years ago I had one of those slope sided oscillating steel tubs with upwelling water from spargers - a fluidized bed in the industrial terminology.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't actually recommend anybody apply for patent on prospecting equipment. The return is much too low to justify the cost, or effort, if doing it yourself. I put 250 hours into my application. Those hours do NOT include the hours put into the design of the device. And, the patent is meaningless as far as protecting my work. Unless I'm willing to take somebody to court, in effect I have no protection. I applied for the patent to see if I could do it, as much as any other reason. The market for small-scale equipment is so small that the money generated won't begin to cover the legal costs of protecting your patent rights. That said, there are patents that generate billions in revenue, but they are few and far between. Most patents don't pay for the application, much less anything else.
Jim

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been reading Don Lancaster's stuff for a number of years. He writes electronic articles and other stuff.
I know he has a number of patents and an interesting perspective.

https://www.tinaja.com/pasamp1.shtml

I once went to a seminar on the big 3. Patents, copyrights, Trademarks. What I learned is few ideas will be worth the effort.
I realized I would not only go through the $10-12 grand to eventually be granted one but then I have to have the means to make the thing and market it. Then I'm told if the idea is really good, another company will steel it and I might not have the means to fight it.
The system is rigged.
Long back I worked with a guy that invented the splatter screen that's put over a fry pan. He said if you have a good idea and can make it and sell it, don't bother with a patent. Get it to market as fast as possible.

Last edited:

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whether or not a certain individual should apply for a patent on particular invention is one question. Whether patents (IP) hamper the free-market is something else.

One reason that free-market economies are desirable is because they incentivize innovation, and presumably, innovations make our lives better.

Think of how many innovative inventions have come to market only because they were patented. With a patent a small company can compete with larger, established ones. Without patents all designs can be produced by all companies, and the largest will always win that battle.

There would be no incentive to innovate if you're just going to get crushed by a giant.

If a large company holds a patent, then others will have to come up with improvements or new solutions in order to stay in the marketplace, so the smaller companies will be incentivized to keep innovating and taking risks on new ideas.

Many patent holders, myself included, end up licensing their designs to other companies. That sort of arrangement cannot happen without intellectual property. Why would someone pay a license fee for something that is not protected? And, why would an inventor invest money, time and sweat without the possibility of some financial return? If they are just doing it because they enjoy the process, then more power to 'em, but doing something for the fun of it has nothing to do with the economy, one way or the other. Or, if an inventor just wants to share their invention with the world, that's fine too, but if it's a useful invention it will end up being produced by one company - the biggest.

This is one of my patents:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US8943994

It's been licensed to a kayak company in NC, and should be released at a trade show called iCast this July.

You can search "biyak boats" on youtube to see some videos of it.

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
hv - nice link, confirmational bias ?

LS - clever patent, trendy, etc.; glad to see someone using the patent system to their individual advantage (could be used in Drake today)
"Think of how many innovative inventions have come to market only because they were patented." gives me a bit of heartburn as in fact I know of none.

I think what I will do is post a thread with all the info leading to . . . .
and then see how others react; some will show me how its done (for which I have already worked out at least one solution),
while others will hide their "invention", should be good sport
prior art, prior art, prior art

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
an update: encountered this video of a different economic/IP system

hard for me to recommend a video, but this is sobering

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
If I had a good idea and I thought it might have a appeal to the general public I would consider an infomercial type of selling. It would mean I didn't have to have space at retail and sales people to market it. My advertising would probably be less although I don't know how much the production costs would be. I would like to hire George Foreman because he has that Midas Touch.
The thought is get it to the market fast.

I used to receive a number of ideas. Too bad the existing system doesn't exactly welcome ideas. Lancaster has a lot to say about this problem.

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
If I had a good idea and I thought it might have a appeal to the general public I would consider an infomercial type of selling. It would mean I didn't have to have space at retail and sales people to market it. My advertising would probably be less although I don't know how much the production costs would be. I would like to hire George Foreman because he has that Midas Touch.
The thought is get it to the market fast.

I used to receive a number of ideas. Too bad the existing system doesn't exactly welcome ideas. Lancaster has a lot to say about this problem.

2 standouts: general public and George Foreman (what has he not peddled?)
unfortunately gold prospectors are not a real large, or rich, group
I have another thread going on crevasse cleaners http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...y-crevasse-cleaner-gravel-pump-chupadora.html

now were I to utilize George I would make him a custom sucker; 6" pump, 4' long, 1 1/4" suction tube 18" long (for those deep big 'uns)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread