Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
My NEW F70 arrived from a dealer on Monday 3/9/09.

I was on my way downstate and picked it up from the postoffice. It stayed in my trunk until I got back home Tuesday evening.

I was concerned because the box really rattled but when I opened it I discovered it was the batteries flopping around inside. It looks like the dealer just tossed them inside and sealed it. No big deal everything was okay.

I was surprised to find so little assembly. The pod was already connected to the rod and there was no protective film over the pod Mylar screen.

The coil almost made me laugh. It's so small compared to the Minelab Tornado or Nautilus 10" coil. The coil was obviously never used as it was sealed with no signs of use. But one thing that baffles me is how people call this a big coil? ;D Any smaller I'd need a magnifying glass to see it. ;D

I looked for a warranty card to send in but there was none. All I found was a typed letter stating the price $649 and the dealer's info about me purchasing this machine. I guess that's all I need, right?

I just turned it on with the factory settings and the IDs, response, and distance on coins were impressive.

Build quality could be better and a whole lot worse. I'd slip a heavy duty baggie over the pod (control box) to help prevent it from being scratched and to help keep dust out of the pod.

I'll have to cover the speaker and use headphones when at the windy beach due to the speaker being under the rod cuff.

For right now I put my review into two words: IT GOOD

Next comes the real test--outdoor hunting.

Badger

Attachments

• F70.jpg
    F70.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 546
  • F70b.jpg
    F70b.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 553

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Badger the 11in DD is the big one and you a correct there is no warranty card to fill out .
Now have at it and fill us in :D ha Like i had to tell you that.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Badger,

I'm interested in hearing what you think. Joe

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
JOE(USA) said:
Badger,

I'm interested in hearing what you think. Joe

Thanks.

We still have about 12 inches of snow and in fact it's snowing like crazy as I type this.

Yesterday I was down in Muskegon and walking around in the backyard with a short sleeve shirt (almost zero snow). Muskegon is only about 250 miles south of us.

I'm about 98% sure I'm going to love the F70. In my indoor air testings it's sweet. And the big thing is my buddies down south all tell me the same thing--it's a winner. They won't kid me so I know it's true.

Most likely I'll stay with this machine for a long time.

I will say this right now. I never could adjust my Explorer or Nautilus machines in our house. Just too much electrical interference. The F70 seems to adjust easily and air tests well even indoors. This machine obviously handles EMI extremely well.

But that's it until I get out in the dirt.

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
gmanlight said:
Badger the 11in DD is the big one and you a correct there is no warranty card to fill out .
Now have at it and fill us in :D ha Like i had to tell you that.

Thanks for the leg up on the warranty card. :thumbsup:

Badger

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Badger - glad you like it so far. I had to tighten a screw on my battery box when I first got mine b/c it rattled a bit. They could have really put a rubber washer at the point where the top of the battery box is connected to the rod as there is a little play in that connection that rattles a bit. I was thinking a couple little dabs of hot glue should sturdy it up.

Yes, I have also noticed that it handles EMI very well. I can crank mine on SL near my LCD tv and it barely makes a peep. I think you will be very suprised at how deep it will go when you get to the field.

Good luck, Ian

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you will like it a lot Badger.
I hunted a field site today that I had hunted a dozen times with other detectors and found this 1835 Montreal bank token [1/4 of one penny] down 8 inches. The F70 smokes :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Cut coin 3-09 001.jpg
    Cut coin 3-09 001.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 478
  • Cut coin 3-09 002.jpg
    Cut coin 3-09 002.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 493
  • Cut coin 3-09 001.jpg
    Cut coin 3-09 001.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 498
  • Cut coin 3-09 002.jpg
    Cut coin 3-09 002.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 487
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya, I'm really excited about this new machine!

That's a nice find there too. Were you using the stock concentric coil when you found it? Do you think the concentric covers the ground area well?

Badger

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
Ya, I'm really excited about this new machine!

That's a nice find there too. Were you using the stock concentric coil when you found it? Do you think the concentric covers the ground area well?

Badger

Yes - I was using the stock, concentric coil. I don't have the 11" DD yet.
The DD would cover more ground faster, I think, but the stock coil is a little better for swinging between corn rows. Merf

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Badger you have had your F70 for about six weeks. What are your 2nd thoughts? I have had mine for roughly 4 weeks and I am still not sure. Maybe I have just been to crappy sites but I have not found many deep targets yet. Except for old rusty nails. It seems to be easy to get the deep nails to read in the 60-80 range on at least some sweeps. At this point I am lacking confidence in the machine. I have taken tomorrow off from work and I have permission to hunt an old house from the 1890's. The old lady said nobody has ever detected it so I hope to make some decent finds. Of course the weatherman is telling me its going to rain.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Limegold, the F70 will produce You can't get much of a better machine. Do not lose confidence yet. You are probably correct, maybe your sites don't have too much deep stuff left but some is still there and the F70 will find it for sure. Don't forget the 100+ hours learning curve on the machine (plus a season or two to really get the feel for it, everyone digs deep nails if they are really trying to get the deep goods).

I know when I get a new machine, and I hit the sites that I've beat down bad with the CZ, I probably wont find much, but if I keep at it with confidence and a positive attitude, I'll find the last goodies to be found until we can get x-ray metal detectors. Do not lose confidence or you wont find the stuff. Keep at it. Sorry to say there isn't much left but some is still there and you can find it.

It's just a matter or time for you and the Badger, I sense good finds by you guys soon.

wayne_etc

Jul 28, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
I have the F70 as well, and am very impressed. I have the 11'' DD and it is killer in my tough soil. I also have the 6.5'' concentric coil and the stock coil, but the 11 is by far my favorite.
If anyone needs the 6.5'' let me know as I'm listing it in the classifieds.

w

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wayne, I like your comments about the 70. I'd keep and use that small coil. It has its place and you'll wish you didn't sell it someday. I'd buy it but I'm sure its too late.

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel like I am now on my way with the F70. It sure helps when a guy finds a site with some good targets. Six wheaties and a mercury dime can do wonders for ones opinion of his metal detector. I tried the 2F setting this morning and found it easy on the ears. 1F and 2F are definitely my favorites. I am getting much more comfortable with the sensitivity control and the threshold. Most of my finds were in the 6"-8" range. All rang very clear and very solid. I have put quite a few hours on the machine since I got it 5 weeks ago and just today the first segment on the battery light went down so battery life seems pretty good. Now I just have to find some more places like I hunted today!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread