tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this up for $85.49... It looks like its all made in France and sold thru Cartier. All the silver lids are French hallmarked with the purity minerva mark of better then sterling .925 and made of a bit higher silver purity of .950. I was sure hoping I'd find some emergency gold coin cash in it some place, but no such luck. I found some small scissors, safety pins and a bunch of antique looking bobby pins. The only piece missing I believe would be a fingernail buffer, as that's what the compartment spot looks like what it was made for. As scrap value, I'm thinking I came out ahead, as none of the silver is made paper thin, its all thicker gauge sheet, gold wash silver on the brushes and glass crystal lids. It has a very heavy smell of fine French perfume. Condition is not the best, but that canvas outer cover has left the black leather case in almost perfect condition on the outside. I'm thinking its Art Deco era? and it reminds me of Agatha Christies'..."Murder On The Orient Express"

Attachments

• vanity 1.jpg
    vanity 1.jpg
    890.1 KB · Views: 78
  • vanity 2.jpg
    vanity 2.jpg
    901.8 KB · Views: 95
  • vanity 3.jpg
    vanity 3.jpg
    812.9 KB · Views: 88
  • vanity 4.jpg
    vanity 4.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 94
  • vanity 5.jpg
    vanity 5.jpg
    816.1 KB · Views: 84
  • vanity 6.jpg
    vanity 6.jpg
    765.2 KB · Views: 83

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very nice set. You did real good. Don't ever think about scrap value on something that has a Cartier affiliation to it. Similar sets sell for hundreds of dollars. Here is one with tortoise shell brushes that sold for $650. 267: Cartier Travel Vanity Set : Lot 267
I wouldn't take anything less than $500 myself, that's on a fast nickel. More if your willing to wait for the right customer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very nice set. You did real good. Don't ever think about scrap value on something that has a Cartier affiliation to it. Similar sets sell for hundreds of dollars. Here is one with tortoise shell brushes that sold for $650. 267: Cartier Travel Vanity Set : Lot 267
I wouldn't take anything less than $500 myself, that's on a fast nickel. More if your willing to wait for the right customer.
I didn't think scrapping it would be the thing to do, but these lids are heavy. I don't think Cartier produced it because none of the marks on the silver have the Cartier mark. I think it was only retailed thru Cartier's New York store long ago.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think Cartier produced it because none of the marks on the silver have the Cartier mark. I think it was only retailed thru Cartier's New York store long ago.
I know but it has the Cartier name on it so that alone makes it special. Have you checked the edges of the lids really good? The Cartier hallmark would be on the side, not the bottom.

$(KGrHqQOKo8FHYl6-E7rBR7idhbec!~~60_57.JPG

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know but it has the Cartier name on it so that alone makes it special. Have you checked the edges of the lids really good? The Cartier hallmark would be on the side, not the bottom.

$(KGrHqQOKo8FHYl6-E7rBR7idhbec!~~60_57.JPG
I have and the Cartier name isn't on anything other then the case. Just the French hallmarks and a little tiny "bug looking mark" ? along with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread