Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

2022 has been quite a successful year, but it has also been a difficult one in some ways. My mentor died this past April. I had dug with him since 1991 and he was like a father to me. I got Covid in 2022 summer which totally knocked me on my butt for weeks. And my digging buddy had two surgeries which kept him out of the field for most of the year (he did get to go out a few times, and he got a killer Confederate spur and a beautiful 1837 Capped Half Dime).

Fortunately my wife was able to go dig with me many times, and her and I discovered several great sites together--and I really needed her company and support in the field this year.

2022 was a great year for quality coins, but to be honest the relics truly stand out above the rest. Many relic "firsts" that I've wanted to dig an example of for years.

Just looking at the finds in these 30 photos, and knowing the hundreds of pounds of scrap iron, brass, and lead we've cleared--and the garbage bags worth of aluminum can shreds and other junk we've dug…it makes me tired just looking at it all!

I'll start—and end—this post with a stunning jewelry restoration of a dug silver relic: one of mine to start, one of my wife's finds at the very end…

I recently dug a coin silver signet ring (unengraved), which probably dates to around 1850-60. It was so badly destroyed by the years in the ground that it looked like can slaw (check your "can slaw" VERY carefully in old sites, folks—it’s not all aluminum I assure you!).

Here are the After & Before photos:
IMG_3852.jpeg

IMG_3547.jpeg

IMG_3857.jpeg

Many thanks to my amazing master jeweler who can literally repair and restore anything I bring him!

I started 2022 by finishing off one of my sites from 2021... Bits and scraps found, but I did get a set of Civil War era lead knuckles and pieces of two shotguns:
IMG_3230.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

Then my wife and I discovered a new, but fairly small site. I'd actually *almost* discovered it nearly 8 years ago but I wasn't quite in the right spot to hear faint iron beeps on my scouting mission. This wonderful little site had some interesting finds, a few Seateds (one really wonderful half dime and some silver coins which were unfortunately mutilated), and my wife got a stunning seated dime and her first Flying Eagle, a coin which had eluded her for years:
IMG_3229.JPG

Then her and I discovered a second, tiny site--where she got her best find of the year (which I'll save for the very last photo of this post). At this spot I dug the first Capped Bust coin of the year--a worn 1834 Dime:

IMG_3256.JPG

During a few weeks when she couldn't dig, I finished up another spot and squeezed a few more nice finds out, the star find of which was an VERY early Mardi Gras suspension bar which reads "VIVE LE ROI" ("Long Live the King"). Dates to the 1870-1890 period. Also got a perfect little kepi buckle from this field.
IMG_3228.JPG

Then it started to get hot outside and I stumbled my way into a new site which I wasn't quite sure I wanted to dig. Signs were mainly 20th century, but most of the other spots of ours were in crop at the time so hunt it I did. Ended up pulling a good many finds, including a New Orleans Academy (NOA) military prep school button which I'd wanted to find an example of, and also a surprise old gold ring! This site had some weird finds, including an 1860s Italian large copper, two Chinese coins, and a French coin from the WWI era. I also got a post-war pelican button and a crusty pocket watch which was probably in a pit with lime at one time:
IMG_3237.JPG

Then my wife and I found ANOTHER new site, which was loaded with finds--including a Model 1840 "Wristbreaker" Sword, pistol powder flask panel, and a handful of Seated and Spanish silver!
IMG_3226.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG

I subsisted on a few adjacent paths and edges of fields near sites while the crop was in, hoping for the plow to come. I did get a flattened piece of lead with the word "POKER" inscribed:
IMG_3243.JPG

One small site I'd found had definitely been hit before, but it still contained some silver finds:
IMG_3244.JPG

Then--right as the temperatures hit over 100 degrees, one of our colonial spots was plowed, and I hit it hard (and the weather hit me hard!):
IMG_3239.JPG

IMG_3240.JPG

I pulled some nice condition seated coins, some Spanish, a BEAUTIFUL 1831 capped half dime, and--believe it or not!--a 1796-1798 U.S. PEWTER REGIMENTAL EAGLE BUTTON!
IMG_3245.JPG

IMG_3246.JPG

Out scouting I dug a complete antebellum brass stirrup and a roller from a Victorian fluting iron, both of which are great relics:
IMG_3249.JPG

IMG_3251.JPG

eaglefluter__70636.jpg

I went out west with plans to dig some good relics but Covid hit and knocked me down hard. I did manage to find my first ever Ike dollar--actually two of them in the same hole--while in Utah.
IMG_3252.JPG

Even though I wasn't entirely up to it, I did hit the beach and dug a lot of holes.
IMG_1803.jpeg

Then while cleaning up some finds and recovering from the Covid wallop, I discovered that a twisted-up piece of lead was actually a US PLATE! So naturally I went back out in the heat and mud and got some more. Well, I found a series of sites that outperformed my expectations. TWO MORE US Plates for a total of THREE! Pieces of a Model 1841 Mississippi Rifle, an incredible "interlocked USA" Civil War artillery rosette which miraculously wasn't destroyed by the plow, a pistol powder flask panel, a stunning Seated Quarter, A BEAUTIFUL engraved Love Token which I consider one of my best finds of the year, amazing collection of Civil War relics, musket sling hook, bullets, canteen spout, buttons, M1859 Cavalry Spur, a complete M1871 Colt Pistol frame...two full display cases worth and more...
IMG_3231.JPG

IMG_3232.JPG

IMG_3235.JPG

IMG_3236.JPG

I also dug a twisted-up early 1800s solid silver fork which weighs nearly 2 ounces, and we eyeballed about 200 marbles of many different types. We had a wonderful eyeball hunting season and those finds I'll have to add to this thread later on...

Here are some of my wife's awesome finds, including her first ever large cent, brass knuckles segment, Flying Eagle Cent, silver coins, and the decorative side panel of a box lock boot pistol:
IMG_3241.JPG

One of the BEST finds the year was this 1860s coin silver bar brooch dug by my wife which we had our master jeweler restore. (It was bent in half and SEVERELY blackened):
IMG_9620.jpeg

Here are the totals as they appeared in our signature line:
2022 CaneField Bandits Totals:
M1840 cavalry sabre pommel
M1871 Colt open top .22 pistol
U.S. Civil War box plate
TWO U.S. Civil War belt plates
14K solitaire gold ring
M1841 Mississippi Rifle butt plate and patch box
Confederate CS-4 Spur
1850s coin silver bar brooch
Love token made of a seated quarter
Interlocked USA M1863 Rosette
Silver thimble
2oz solid silver 1810-20s fork
Civil War Era Lead Knuckles
CW lead poker chip with the word “POKER” carved in
Postwar Louisiana Pelican cuff button
Civil War Musket sling hook
Enfield trigger guard
1796-1798 US Regimental Eagle Button
1808-1820 pewter “US” button
Eagle “I” coat button
Eagle “I” cuff button
General service Eagle button
1749 and 17?6 half Reales
1854-O with arrows Seated Quarter
1852 silver three cent piece
1831 and 1837 Capped Bust Half Dimes
1834 Capped Bust Dime
1840 No Drapery, 1841-O, two 1857-O’s, 1858-O, 1860-O and one dateless Half Dime
1841-O, 1851, 1873, 1883 and two 1887 Seated Dimes
1899-O Barber Quarter
1889-O and 1903-O Barber Dimes
Two double barrel shotguns
1944-P and 1943-P war nickels
Two powder flask panels
Complete antebellum brass stirrup
Two Chinese cash coins
1860s Italian 10 Centisimi
1919 French 10 Centimes
Minieballs, Beefaloes, V and Shield Nickels, and some GawGag

Looking forward to 2023!! I can't wait to share with you what I've already dug--We're already on the board in a HUGE way!

Cheers,

Buck

Attachments

• IMG_3233.JPG
    IMG_3233.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3546.jpeg
    IMG_3546.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More! The incredible engraved love token made from a Seated Quarter, M1841 Mississippi Rifle pieces (butt plate and patch box), the 2 ounce silver fork, and two of the jars of marbles eyeballed in 2022.
4BCD02AC-3B65-430D-8DE4-946117D5B3A4.jpeg

IMG_3255.JPG

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3253.JPG

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

2022 has been quite a successful year, but it has also been a difficult one in some ways. My mentor died this past April. I had dug with him since 1991 and he was like a father to me. I got Covid in 2022 summer which totally knocked me on my butt for weeks. And my digging buddy had two surgeries which kept him out of the field for most of the year (he did get to go out a few times, and he got a killer Confederate spur and a beautiful 1837 Capped Half Dime).

Fortunately my wife was able to go dig with me many times, and her and I discovered several great sites together--and I really needed her company and support in the field this year.

2022 was a great year for quality coins, but to be honest the relics truly stand out above the rest. Many relic "firsts" that I've wanted to dig an example of for years.

Just looking at the finds in these 30 photos, and knowing the hundreds of pounds of scrap iron, brass, and lead we've cleared--and the garbage bags worth of aluminum can shreds and other junk we've dug…it makes me tired just looking at it all!

I'll start—and end—this post with a stunning jewelry restoration of a dug silver relic: one of mine to start, one of my wife's finds at the very end…

I recently dug a coin silver signet ring (unengraved), which probably dates to around 1850-60. It was so badly destroyed by the years in the ground that it looked like can slaw (check your "can slaw" VERY carefully in old sites, folks—it’s not all aluminum I assure you!).

Here are the After & Before photos:
View attachment 2063705
View attachment 2063702
View attachment 2063706

Many thanks to my amazing master jeweler who can literally repair and restore anything I bring him!

I started 2022 by finishing off one of my sites from 2021... Bits and scraps found, but I did get a set of Civil War era lead knuckles and pieces of two shotguns:
View attachment 2063708
View attachment 2063709
Then my wife and I discovered a new, but fairly small site. I'd actually *almost* discovered it nearly 8 years ago but I wasn't quite in the right spot to hear faint iron beeps on my scouting mission. This wonderful little site had some interesting finds, a few Seateds (one really wonderful half dime and some silver coins which were unfortunately mutilated), and my wife got a stunning seated dime and her first Flying Eagle, a coin which had eluded her for years:
View attachment 2063717
Then her and I discovered a second, tiny site--where she got her best find of the year (which I'll save for the very last photo of this post). At this spot I dug the first Capped Bust coin of the year--a worn 1834 Dime:

View attachment 2063723
During a few weeks when she couldn't dig, I finished up another spot and squeezed a few more nice finds out, the star find of which was an VERY early Mardi Gras suspension bar which reads "VIVE LE ROI" ("Long Live the King"). Dates to the 1870-1890 period. Also got a perfect little kepi buckle from this field.
View attachment 2063724
Then it started to get hot outside and I stumbled my way into a new site which I wasn't quite sure I wanted to dig. Signs were mainly 20th century, but most of the other spots of ours were in crop at the time so hunt it I did. Ended up pulling a good many finds, including a New Orleans Academy (NOA) military prep school button which I'd wanted to find an example of, and also a surprise old gold ring! This site had some weird finds, including an 1860s Italian large copper, two Chinese coins, and a French coin from the WWI era. I also got a post-war pelican button and a crusty pocket watch which was probably in a pit with lime at one time:
View attachment 2063728
Then my wife and I found ANOTHER new site, which was loaded with finds--including a Model 1840 "Wristbreaker" Sword, pistol powder flask panel, and a handful of Seated and Spanish silver!
View attachment 2063741
View attachment 2063742
I subsisted on a few adjacent paths and edges of fields near sites while the crop was in, hoping for the plow to come. I did get a flattened piece of lead with the word "POKER" inscribed:
View attachment 2063730
One small site I'd found had definitely been hit before, but it still contained some silver finds:
View attachment 2063731
Then--right as the temperatures hit over 100 degrees, one of our colonial spots was plowed, and I hit it hard (and the weather hit me hard!):
View attachment 2063733
View attachment 2063734
I pulled some nice condition seated coins, some Spanish, a BEAUTIFUL 1831 capped half dime, and--believe it or not!--a 1796-1798 U.S. PEWTER REGIMENTAL EAGLE BUTTON!
View attachment 2063732
View attachment 2063735
Out scouting I dug a complete antebellum brass stirrup and a roller from a Victorian fluting iron, both of which are great relics:
View attachment 2063736
View attachment 2063737
View attachment 2063738
I went out west with plans to dig some good relics but Covid hit and knocked me down hard. I did manage to find my first ever Ike dollar--actually two of them in the same hole--while in Utah.
View attachment 2063739
Even though I wasn't entirely up to it, I did hit the beach and dug a lot of holes.
View attachment 2063740
Then while cleaning up some finds and recovering from the Covid wallop, I discovered that a twisted-up piece of lead was actually a US PLATE! So naturally I went back out in the heat and mud and got some more. Well, I found a series of sites that outperformed my expectations. TWO MORE US Plates for a total of THREE! Pieces of a Model 1841 Mississippi Rifle, an incredible "interlocked USA" Civil War artillery rosette which miraculously wasn't destroyed by the plow, a pistol powder flask panel, a stunning Seated Quarter, A BEAUTIFUL engraved Love Token which I consider one of my best finds of the year, amazing collection of Civil War relics, musket sling hook, bullets, canteen spout, buttons, M1859 Cavalry Spur, a complete M1871 Colt Pistol frame...two full display cases worth and more...
View attachment 2063743
View attachment 2063748
View attachment 2063750
View attachment 2063751

I also dug a twisted-up early 1800s solid silver fork which weighs nearly 2 ounces, and we eyeballed about 200 marbles of many different types. We had a wonderful eyeball hunting season and those finds I'll have to add to this thread later on...

Here are some of my wife's awesome finds, including her first ever large cent, brass knuckles segment, Flying Eagle Cent, silver coins, and the decorative side panel of a box lock boot pistol:
View attachment 2063752
One of the BEST finds the year was this 1860s coin silver bar brooch dug by my wife which we had our master jeweler restore. (It was bent in half and SEVERELY blackened):
View attachment 2063656
Here are the totals as they appeared in our signature line:
2022 CaneField Bandits Totals:
M1840 cavalry sabre pommel
M1871 Colt open top .22 pistol
U.S. Civil War box plate
TWO U.S. Civil War belt plates
14K solitaire gold ring
M1841 Mississippi Rifle butt plate and patch box
Confederate CS-4 Spur
1850s coin silver bar brooch
Love token made of a seated quarter
Interlocked USA M1863 Rosette
Silver thimble
2oz solid silver 1810-20s fork
Civil War Era Lead Knuckles
CW lead poker chip with the word “POKER” carved in
Postwar Louisiana Pelican cuff button
Civil War Musket sling hook
Enfield trigger guard
1796-1798 US Regimental Eagle Button
1808-1820 pewter “US” button
Eagle “I” coat button
Eagle “I” cuff button
General service Eagle button
1749 and 17?6 half Reales
1854-O with arrows Seated Quarter
1852 silver three cent piece
1831 and 1837 Capped Bust Half Dimes
1834 Capped Bust Dime
1840 No Drapery, 1841-O, two 1857-O’s, 1858-O, 1860-O and one dateless Half Dime
1841-O, 1851, 1873, 1883 and two 1887 Seated Dimes
1899-O Barber Quarter
1889-O and 1903-O Barber Dimes
Two double barrel shotguns
1944-P and 1943-P war nickels
Two powder flask panels
Complete antebellum brass stirrup
Two Chinese cash coins
1860s Italian 10 Centisimi
1919 French 10 Centimes
Minieballs, Beefaloes, V and Shield Nickels, and some GawGag

Looking forward to 2023!! I can't wait to share with you what I've already dug--We're already on the board in a HUGE way!

Cheers,

Buck
Awesome Year!!!!!!! congrats!!!! Love the Seated Coins!!!!!

Casey13

Sep 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crazy that a post with this much treasure can get three likes and one reply. And folks wonder why I don’t post here much anymore. Lots of work taking photos to share your finds…with four people. :(
Lol I posted mine late last night a little before you did and know what you mean about how much time you spend laying everything out to take pictures. It took me a couple of hours. After I posted and saw your finds I was like good grief your finds is what I hunt for lol.
Great job!!!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing BB!!!! For what it's worth, your post stoke the fire in me and prob more than you think brother. Keep it up 💪!!!! Next time you're up in the Hoosier state, stop by and we'll go find some history!!!! BTW, sorry to hear about your hunting buddy.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Crazy that a post with this much treasure can get three likes and one reply. And folks wonder why I don’t post here much anymore. Lots of work taking photos to share your finds…with four people. :(
Just came across it in the what's new-crazy how things can get by even though one spends time on here.
Buck first off my condolences to you for your loss of your mentor.

Another year under the belt, another year of amazing totals.
It sure adds up over one season of dirt digging.

Great restoration done on the 2 pieces, a master jeweller for sure.
Thanks for the yearly post up, it certainly takes a great deal of time, and effort to post it all up.
It's hard enough to do a regular post of one hunt-let alone of a whole years worth.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol I posted mine late last night a little before you did and know what you mean about how much time you spend laying everything out to take pictures. It took me a couple of hours. After I posted and saw your finds I was like good grief your finds is what I hunt for lol.
Great job!!!
I appreciate your kind words my friend 🙌

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing BB!!!! For what it's worth, your post stoke the fire in me and prob more than you think brother. Keep it up 💪!!!! Next time you're up in the Hoosier state, stop by and we'll go find some history!!!! BTW, sorry to hear about your hunting buddy.
Thank you so much, the condolences and the kind words are appreciated. I’ve been somewhat lucky down here but mainly just persistent and creative in finding spots to dig. But when I look at those finds I can’t believe the number of trash pieces removed to find all of that

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just came across it in the what's new-crazy how things can get by even though one spends time on here.
Buck first off my condolences to you for your loss of your mentor.

Another year under the belt, another year of amazing totals.
It sure adds up over one season of dirt digging.

Great restoration done on the 2 pieces, a master jeweller for sure.
Thanks for the yearly post up, it certainly takes a great deal of time, and effort to post it all up.
It's hard enough to do a regular post of one hunt-let alone of a whole years worth.
Ty so much! I was really pleased with the year and happy to share with folks here. It’s been a fun and wild ride, including the great restorations!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
How to comment! L.o.l.

As ever , thanks for sharing.
Condolances on your mentor going ahead to detect better sites. Carry on!

The scope of your recoveries is so far removed from my area ...

Huge slice of time. And breaking down and commenting on your years recoveries would take a week!

Beads alone. Look at the variety , span, and origins. That'd do for a year for me. Yet only a fraction of recoveries and culture.

French amber flint? English flint? Perhaps the darker was domestically sourced. Or ? Part of those countries complex relationship mixed with ours?

Your cautionary mention of being careful with discards and the pictures tell much...

Congrats. You earned your recoveries.
Congrats to the Mrs. too on her recoveries.
In fun , she might deserve a medal for participating alongside you.

Great depth and breadth of history you dug in on and around. With evidence to prove it.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I very much appreciate the share as well and grats on all the fantastic keepers.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How to comment! L.o.l.

As ever , thanks for sharing.
Condolances on your mentor going ahead to detect better sites. Carry on!

The scope of your recoveries is so far removed from my area ...

Huge slice of time. And breaking down and commenting on your years recoveries would take a week!

Beads alone. Look at the variety , span, and origins. That'd do for a year for me. Yet only a fraction of recoveries and culture.

French amber flint? English flint? Perhaps the darker was domestically sourced. Or ? Part of those countries complex relationship mixed with ours?

Your cautionary mention of being careful with discards and the pictures tell much...

Congrats. You earned your recoveries.
Congrats to the Mrs. too on her recoveries.
In fun , she might deserve a medal for participating alongside you.

Great depth and breadth of history you dug in on and around. With evidence to prove it.
Thanks so much my friend. I’m actually authoring a book on identifying relics. Published by Greybird (American Digger magazine).

The flints are French and English. French mainly found in older sites. Smoky-colored English only found in sites that were still being used by 1800 or so. I’ve been searching for some locally sourced flints but none have turned up here yet. Probably because we have no natural stone in south Louisiana. Even the native American tribes used bone instead, and traded for materials across wide distances.

Thanks for your wonderful comment my friend, I appreciate you taking a look!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of goodies there....candy for the eye. You had a great diggin year. Be patient, folks will eventually show up, many of us have lots on our plates these days, sometimes treasurenet is not as high on our list as we would want.......beleive it or not.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread