Thrift Store Shield with Crown and Six-Pointed Star - Sweater or Cloak fastener?

dottiedee

Aug 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCF6878.JPGDSCF6880.JPGHi!
I am a thrift store treasure hunter, more interested in unique things than value. I found this interesting item recently and thought it might be a sweater keeper. I haven't been able to identify the crest. Any information would be appreciated!
dottiedee

Wrong, BaronH, but you are close. This is one "what is it" I can answer with 100% authority. Yes has to do with Judiasm and yes, Jewish dentists (males mostly) use it.

What this is, is a "tallit clip" or chain that men wear to hold their tallit (prayer shawl) together across their chest - think of how women used to hold their cardigan sweaters together when they draped them over their shoulders. If you Google "tallit clips" you will see hundreds of styles. The star on yours is the Star of David (commonly called a Jewish star). The crown represents the Torah (the holy scrolls kept in the ark - like the Tabarnacle) on the bema (alter) of the synagogue. (Does this make sense to you?)

Hope this clarifies things for you. Nice find by the way. Probably not too old, mid-late 20th century. Usually gold tone metal, rarely pure gold. Occasionally you will find them made of sterling silver. New styles can be extremely ornate and made from various metals. All have 2 clips with a chain between them.

Hope this answers your questions.

HH,
Anita

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back