A puzzling flat button backmark, help would be appreciated and civil war bullets from the school

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got back to the festival grounds and started a little swingin. It started to rain and I only managed 2 hours before I got rained out. (We really need the rain). I got lucky and hit a hot spot for coins. 51 coins with a face value of $4.80 and a key. Not a great hunt, nothing valuable or old, but decent clad.

F7A71CD0-88D5-4B34-8048-F035803CFFEC.jpeg

I went back the next day and in 5 hours 79 coins with a face value of $5.16, a flat button and a variety of fired modern bullets.

F814D8AF-C577-4777-9339-5996E220807C.jpeg

The flat button has a puzzling backmark. There is a crown at the top, and starts with DOUBLE, a dot, something I can’t read and the word ORANGE. I can’t find any reference to this backmark on line. My best guess is DOUBLE * GILT * ORANGE, but I can’t find a match for it anywhere. Does anyone out there have any information on this backmark.

D599D137-234A-4C05-9160-9A46346FDF0C.jpeg 427AA828-26DC-4C03-BFE6-8DF1F13CB4F6.jpeg 9363F082-B255-4D18-8EBB-881B1B17E718.jpeg D5029BBB-3EAE-4940-89C2-3285EC3D1937.jpeg

I went back to the new city permission and spent 4.5 hours with the CZ21. Again a few interesting pieces, but overall not very good. The majority of the finds were can slaw and foil. The people here didn’t lose much.

I only found 9 coins with a face value of $0.22, a brass handled nesting screwdriver, a bent watch frame, another umbrella part, the brass body of an AETNA padlock, a one piece metal button (modern), a Pepsi monopoly game tab, most of an aluminum CAMAY coupon/token, a beat up old spoon with a nice wheat pattern on it, and tabs foil and slaw oh my.

2045F66D-D49B-46BA-9ABA-8B97BA39848B.jpeg

The spoon does not have a makers mark. It has a nice pattern on the front and back of the handle. Too bad it is so bent up. If anyone recognizes the pattern and has more info on this spoon I would appreciate the input. I haven’t had much luck finding it on line.

16DFAEAA-27D6-4E59-A0E7-1EE4FF4D3E16.jpeg

862B4FE8-55F6-487E-B4D3-A72768D9A910.jpeg

The Coinstars have been empty lately and for most of the recent walks at the mall nothing in the coin returns and only a penny on the floor. But on this last walk I got lucky and made my best coin return find ever, 7 quarters, 2 dimes and a nickel in the same machine. A nice quick $2 ca ching.

I went back to continue my grid at the middle school and found 79 coins with a face value of $6.30, a cheapie FLIRT ring, a modern brass button front, a wheatie (1952D), part of an old oil lamp, some tabs and a little junk. The clad was good, but not much else noteworthy.

C8E3DD24-2F26-4ED8-A5B4-F19E5FD6C656.jpeg

I went to the civil war bullet school hoping to get lucky. I have not found a civil war item in the last 5 trips so I was due and luck was with me today. I extended 2 different grids and found one in each and one as I was going from one grid to the other.

In 5 hours I found 71 coins with a face value 9f $3.59, 3 minie balls, a cheapie heart ring, a Canadian penny, a 1941 wheatie, 3 things that look like arrow target tips, some tabs, 3 whole aluminum cans and the usual assortment of junk.

93DB1AB3-96C8-447F-9783-8CB247C80538.jpeg

One of the bullets has been partly cut at the base. The ground was like rock and I’m glad I was able to get them out without hitting them with the shovel or trowel.

1D6A51CC-F5CD-4769-8274-4E237BDA1A7B.jpeg

I have 2 mystery coins. Now the mystery is not what they are because they are a 1944 Mercury dime and a 1906 Indian head penny. The mystery is how did they get here. I sort my coins by denomination and tumble them separately. I let them pile up for several months between tumbling sessions. When I was sorting my coins after tumbling them I spotted this merc in the pile and after I had done the pennies I found the Indian head. I should have spotted them as I was sorting coins the day they was found, but they must have been so covered in crud that I didnt recognized what they were and was not able to see any detail. If I had seen any detail I would have known what they were right away. So I have no idea where or when I found them. That has not happened before. Weird! I will definitely have to be more careful in the future.

CD070D20-BAEF-47AF-9544-966FE47358C0.jpeg 9D884C32-337F-4E06-9D81-AB564E99F4DE.jpeg

So a lot of swingin, mostly clad and a couple of keepers. Not nearly as good as last week, but you never know what you’ll find and you can’t control what is in the ground. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Attachments

• 17169BD2-C5B2-4215-B4C9-0AAFD881D471.jpeg
    17169BD2-C5B2-4215-B4C9-0AAFD881D471.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 13

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got back to the festival grounds and started a little swingin. It started to rain and I only managed 2 hours before I got rained out. (We really need the rain). I got lucky and hit a hot spot for coins. 51 coins with a face value of $4.80 and a key. Not a great hunt, nothing valuable or old, but decent clad.

View attachment 2039646

I went back the next day and in 5 hours 79 coins with a face value of $5.16, a flat button and a variety of fired modern bullets.

View attachment 2039651

The flat button has a puzzling backmark. There is a crown at the top, and starts with DOUBLE, a dot, something I can’t read and the word ORANGE. I can’t find any reference to this backmark on line. My best guess is DOUBLE * GILT * ORANGE, but I can’t find a match for it anywhere. Does anyone out there have any information on this backmark.

View attachment 2039647 View attachment 2039648 View attachment 2039649 View attachment 2039650

I went back to the new city permission and spent 4.5 hours with the CZ21. Again a few interesting pieces, but overall not very good. The majority of the finds were can slaw and foil. The people here didn’t lose much.

I only found 9 coins with a face value of $0.22, a brass handled nesting screwdriver, a bent watch frame, another umbrella part, the brass body of an AETNA padlock, a one piece metal button (modern), a Pepsi monopoly game tab, most of an aluminum CAMAY coupon/token, a beat up old spoon with a nice wheat pattern on it, and tabs foil and slaw oh my.

View attachment 2039652

The spoon does not have a makers mark. It has a nice pattern on the front and back of the handle. Too bad it is so bent up. If anyone recognizes the pattern and has more info on this spoon I would appreciate the input. I haven’t had much luck finding it on line.

View attachment 2039653

View attachment 2039654

The Coinstars have been empty lately and for most of the recent walks at the mall nothing in the coin returns and only a penny on the floor. But on this last walk I got lucky and made my best coin return find ever, 7 quarters, 2 dimes and a nickel in the same machine. A nice quick $2 ca ching.

I went back to continue my grid at the middle school and found 79 coins with a face value of $6.30, a cheapie FLIRT ring, a modern brass button front, a wheatie (1952D), part of an old oil lamp, some tabs and a little junk. The clad was good, but not much else noteworthy.

View attachment 2039655

I went to the civil war bullet school hoping to get lucky. I have not found a civil war item in the last 5 trips so I was due and luck was with me today. I extended 2 different grids and found one in each and one as I was going from one grid to the other.

In 5 hours I found 71 coins with a face value 9f $3.59, 3 minie balls, a cheapie heart ring, a Canadian penny, a 1941 wheatie, 3 things that look like arrow target tips, some tabs, 3 whole aluminum cans and the usual assortment of junk.

View attachment 2039658

One of the bullets has been partly cut at the base. The ground was like rock and I’m glad I was able to get them out without hitting them with the shovel or trowel.

View attachment 2039659

I have 2 mystery coins. Now the mystery is not what they are because they are a 1944 Mercury dime and a 1906 Indian head penny. The mystery is how did they get here. I sort my coins by denomination and tumble them separately. I let them pile up for several months between tumbling sessions. When I was sorting my coins after tumbling them I spotted this merc in the pile and after I had done the pennies I found the Indian head. I should have spotted them as I was sorting coins the day they was found, but they must have been so covered in crud that I didnt recognized what they were and was not able to see any detail. If I had seen any detail I would have known what they were right away. So I have no idea where or when I found them. That has not happened before. Weird! I will definitely have to be more careful in the future.

View attachment 2039645 View attachment 2039657

So a lot of swingin, mostly clad and a couple of keepers. Not nearly as good as last week, but you never know what you’ll find and you can’t control what is in the ground. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Button backmarks such as yours are often generic quality-designation descriptions. They can have any combination of words like Double Gilt Orange Extra Rich Warranted Gold Colour Super Fine Plated...etc etc. Yours is likely a civilian button that was once gold gilted, from the early 1800s. The crown suggests that it may be from the earlier part of the 1800s as the US started making their own post-war of 1812.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2039646

View attachment 2039651

View attachment 2039647 View attachment 2039648 View attachment 2039649 View attachment 2039650

View attachment 2039652

View attachment 2039653

View attachment 2039654

View attachment 2039655

View attachment 2039658

View attachment 2039659

so many great finds, awesome!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 2039646

View attachment 2039651

View attachment 2039652

View attachment 2039653

View attachment 2039654

View attachment 2039655

View attachment 2039658

View attachment 2039659

Rings, three ringers and button. Sounds you had fun! Congratulations

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! That spoon is interesting! I hope someone can ID it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread