May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CANCELLED DUE TO RECENT CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP - SORRY!

I have detecting land which will be developed on (housing estate). Dad & I will not be able to save all that we would want.

Therefore, I have a plan to do a 1 week rally for visitors; subject to landowner's agreement.

NO THRILLS - simply:

Aug/Sep 2014
Max of 12 People
All indemnity will be your responsibilty - agreements may need to be pre-signed prior to reservation.
NB. (not negotiable) All items that are declarable as 'Treasure' under the Treasure Act will be split 50/50 with the landowner. Discussion needed how a valuable find will be paid for if returned by the Museum.
5 Days of Detecting
Access to 3 fields (I will get the acres later, but it's plenty of land)
The viewing of our GPS maps of the finds on those fields - I can give figures later of all the previous Roman Coins & Hammereds found on this land - don't worry there is plenty left.
'In Field' Identification - by me
Roman Coin Attributions by Dad
IDing & Paperwork for the Export Licience of your finds/coins - this takes a lot of time & effort & once I submit the paperwork & pictures its at least 3-4 weeks before they can be posted to you. Thats the Law & you will need to be patient or don't apply.
I might even do a hands on display of my best finds over the years.

£500 for the 5 days - £200 to the farmer & £300 to me - lots of debate on this one, it should become clearer after I get feedback from the owner.

The trip will NOT include:

Booking of flights - your responsibility
All Transport - your responsibility (but group travelling/hiring would be an idea)
Booking of Accomodation - your responsibilty (although I could help with recommendations based on your budget)
All Food - your responsibility (Although I may do a BBQ in the field on 1 day)

Like I say its just a thought, so give me your feedback? Is the price OK? etc...

Last edited:

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds cool!:thumbsup:

but if you own the land and its being developed, why is there a farmer involved....?:dontknow:

I'm sure a few home grown Brits would be interested too?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
£100 a day for three already detected fields :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: you are taking the pi$$ surely.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds cool!:thumbsup:

but if you own the land and its being developed, why is there a farmer involved....?:dontknow:

I'm sure a few home grown Brits would be interested too?

I changed my English, I meant, I have some land that I have permission to detect.

I was thinking about a Brit Rally to begin with, it would be easier to do. However, I decided that it would be a good chance for those Tneters who have shown an interest in a UK visit.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
£100 a day for three already detected fields :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: you are taking the pi$$ surely.

If you have a look at my post today, on one of these fields, you will see how badly we have done it.:laughing7: Plenty left.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a look at my post today, on one of these fields, you will see how badly we have done it.:laughing7: Plenty left.
It's still not a very good deal, the average UK weekend rally (3 days is) £75 and usually with 5-6 fields undetected, a beer tent, and dealers and traders on site. But you have a good idea, you just need to sharpen the pencil.

SS.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's still not a very good deal, the average UK weekend rally (3 days is) £75 and usually with 5-6 fields undetected, a beer tent, and dealers and traders on site. But you have a good idea, you just need to sharpen the pencil.

SS.

Your welcome to make a counter offer & do your own. UK rallies do not fill in mountains of paperwork. (think about it, 12 people for 10 hours a day, look & my post & see the quantity they will get) You do know how much Colchester charges?

I'm happy to do it for £300 a week & do NO paperwork (finders responsibility to gain Export Liciences).
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/371631-saving-history.html#post3545406
Above is one of the fields I'm talking about, if your trying to say Dad & I have got all the good stuff, then think again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SS.
PS. We know when they say undetected they are mostly BSing. Don't forget I have done a few. Plus 400 people take seconds to cover the land, I can work it out but I know the acre per person on this option is 50 times better.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your welcome to make a counter offer & do your own. UK rallies do not fill in mountains of paperwork. (think about it, 12 people for 10 hours a day, look & my post & see the quantity they will get) You do know how much Colchester charges?

I'm happy to do it for £300 a week & do NO paperwork.
I have no intention of doing my own, I quite simply don't have any time to detect myself, let alone organise a rally. But it is some thing I have thought about doing in the past, on a bigger scale. I can't see many people flying 3000 miles to detect and have to organise accommodation travel and food. I can't see B&B being cheap down your way. The paper work for finds out side the treasure act they can do themselves, you would need a liason officer there for that though. And has the land been sold or is it still in the landowners hands, because if it's already sold to a developer, the last thing they will want is somebody finding a human bone or scull, and putting back the development six months.

A 4 day bank holiday one would have been the way to go, £100 for the rally, split with the landowner, and a donation for a local charity. You would make more this way, but it's a bit late in the year now.

SS

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no intention of doing my own, I quite simply don't have any time to detect myself, let alone organise a rally. But it is some thing I have thought about doing in the past, on a bigger scale. I can't see many people flying 3000 miles to detect and have to organise accommodation travel and food. I can't see B&B being cheap down your way. The paper work for finds out side the treasure act they can do themselves, you would need a liason officer there for that though. And has the land been sold or is it still in the landowners hands, because if it's already sold to a developer, the last thing they will want is somebody finding a human bone or scull, and putting back the development six months.

A 4 day bank holiday one would have been the way to go, £100 for the rally, split with the landowner, and a donation for a local charity. You would make more this way, but it's a bit late in the year now.

SS

I thought about the charity angle & that still might happen.

B&B average is about £65/night, hotel is more. I can help but I'm not going to be responsible, specially for flight delays etc..

I'm not really in it for the money, I'm just floating an idea based on what its worth to me to take out 2 weeks from work/detecting & fill in loads of paperwork. If I'm not doing that then the price comes right down. I may ask the FLO if she would do the paperwork. HOWEVER, they are VERY SLOW & it maybe 6 months before they see their find in the US, in fact more like 8 months & I'm not even joking.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The price for Americans seems very high...looks like your cut is about $6K for organizing the event :dontknow: That's a lot of money especially if the main purpose of the hunt is to save the history there. Even the farmer's cut seems excessive given what I hear most UK detectorists "gift" land owners with at Christmas for example for use of their land (I have no idea what you give them). Just to get on the land would cost us $750 and that doesn't include anything like food, accomodations, etc. The estimated cost for the week would probably be about $4K - $5K all inclusive. Like I said, I'd love to attend, but I doubt you'll get many US takers in this economy. Just my honest opinion as you asked for feedback. I think a fee of like $150 - $200 (100 pounds Sterling) to get on the land is much more realistic.

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make the price resonable for us and I'm in! :thumbsup: I think it's a great way to save the history of this area.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The price for Americans seems very high...looks like your cut is about $6K for organizing the event :dontknow: That's a lot of money especially if the main purpose of the hunt is to save the history there. Even the farmer's cut seems excessive given what I hear most UK detectorists "gift" land owners with at Christmas for example for use of their land (I have no idea what you give them). Just to get on the land would cost us $750 and that doesn't include anything like food, accomodations, etc. The estimated cost for the week would probably be about $4K - $5K all inclusive. Like I said, I'd love to attend, but I doubt you'll get many US takers in this economy. Just my honest opinion as you asked for feedback. I think a fee of like $200 to get on the land is much more realistic.

Thats what I need to hear. I would specially like to understand what Colchester goers get for their $.

This landowner has only ever let us on the land & they said when we asked permission 'your not a club are you?'. They don't want lots of people on their land. So an offer they can't refuse was my general plan to get them on board.

We have given them many of our finds - you can keep ALL yours (subject to the Treasure clause).

What do you think is reasonable? (Like I say, taking into account the 2 weeks of paperwork I need to do, plus the posting/postage costs & insurance of the items to be posted)

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flights into your area wouldn't be a problem, you have to airports very nearby, one is one of the biggest. It's the accommodation angle that's the problem. Six weeks is about the norm for the export, but at least they know they will receive them. If you only want 12 overseas there, then finding them room and board shouldn't be much of a problem, you might even get a bulk offer deal going to someone who can put them all up.

£3600 for two weeks work, hmm you must be on a lot a month at work then :laughing7: I might have to think twice myself :laughing7:

SS

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make the price resonable for us and I'm in! :thumbsup: I think it's a great way to save the history of this area.

Would you do your own paperwork? Bearing in mind you need to photo & ID it all. Plus if we get the FLO to do it for you all, you will be lucky to see it in 1 year. I've had items take 11 months to ID with the FLO.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flights into your area wouldn't be a problem, you have to airports very nearby, one is one of the biggest. It's the accommodation angle that's the problem. Six weeks is about the norm for the export, but at least they know they will receive them. If you only want 12 overseas there, then finding them room and board shouldn't be much of a problem, you might even get a bulk offer deal going to someone who can put them all up.

£3600 for two weeks work, hmm you must be on a lot a month at work then :laughing7: I might have to think twice myself :laughing7:

SS

Are you saying if the FLO takes charge of the finds & the export applications, they will have it in 6 weeks. I find that hard to believe, I hope your right, because then it becomes a good option. I will need to speak with them.

PS. I don't like paperwork & therefore put a high price on it. More to the point, I would need to give up detecting time & that is priceless to me.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you saying if the FLO takes charge of the finds & the export applications, they will have it in 6 weeks. I find that hard to believe, I hope your right, because then it becomes a good option. I will need to speak with them.
I think it's six weeks for the export licence, I don't see the need for flo to get involved, the items will be Id on site, and can be recorded if necessary, if they don't fall in the Treasure act I don't see a problem.

SS

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess that depends on if you are paying for the postage and insurance costs--I know this can be expensive. Probably at least $150 to mail the stuff to the US, the export license is pretty cheap and I think easy to fill out...of course my in-laws are in Bath so you can send mine there :laughing7: ... My wife is British (now also an American citizen) and so I know that England is generally expensive for Americans especially restaurant food and accomodations. 200 - 300 pounds Sterling (if that includes shipping and export license fee) would be a good target...if you can hit that target sign me up as your first member! :occasion14:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's six weeks for the export licence, I don't see the need for flo to get involved, the items will be Id on site, and can be recorded if necessary, if they don't fall in the Treasure act I don't see a problem.

SS

The full guidance is below, its some time since I last read it, but I think you may be under estimating the effort. You assume the FLO can ID these in the first place, until they do, (can be 11 months with backlog) the paperwork can not be filled in. Thats what I bring to the table, instant IDs. No way will our FLO ID on site.

Export licensing | Arts Council

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would you do your own paperwork? Bearing in mind you need to photo & ID it all. Plus if we get the FLO to do it for you all, you will be lucky to see it in 1 year. I've had items take 11 months to ID with the FLO.

Not sure if each item needs to photographed or if it can be done in groups. Seriously, you can send mine to Bath and I can get my sister-in law to do mine giving me more time to detect (she'd probably really enjoy looking at all the stuff)! Since I'm a bit "unique" this way, maybe you can give me a fee to get on the land and something for your efforts. You can PM me if you'd like. If you are doing the work for others then my prior price target seems reasonable and will keep away the "riff-raff" :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread