DiggerNick

Greenie
Jul 2, 2013
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been watching a lot of videos lately on people making coin rings. I think they are awsome. The way I want to make on is with a mandrel and the coins original lettering is visa lee on both sides. I bought a 1926 liberty quarter to make one with when I get the mandrel. But the other way is tapping the edge of the coin around and around with a hammer till it is the desired shape, drilling it and so on. I had the tools for this but people said do not use clad. Only silver because they will crack and break. Well I was definitely not using my silver for my first go so I used a 1966 quarter and just see what happened. This is what I came up with. I am beyond pleased for 3 hours work on a clad quarter. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image-400693630.jpg
    image-400693630.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 90
  • image-3605974715.jpg
    image-3605974715.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 87

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That ring turned out very nice as a ring. However, I think you lose the beauty of the coin when you tap the edges and drill it. I really like the other method where you end up with the edge of the coin as the outside of the ring. The state quarters work nicely for that or Walking Liberties.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surely you can find a standing liberty in worse shape to use for this... LOL.. Just my opinion.. One of my favorite coins.

OP
OP
D

DiggerNick

Greenie
Jul 2, 2013
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody said clad would chip and lose beauty but i think this a great example of that not happening. The ring turned out beautiful with no chips or scratches at all

OP
OP
D

DiggerNick

Greenie
Jul 2, 2013
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do plan on getting a ring mandrel and have lettering showing i do like that way better

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread