Metal Detector Business cards and permissions

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone created & used a metal detector business type card, one to introduce yourself & to leave with people who did not give permission in case they reflect later? How'd it work & what did you include on it? I'm getting ready to ask some interesting permissions and wonder if this might be a good thing to have to give them & maybe what best to put on it.

Thus far I've only gone to friends houses, beaches and public parks so I've been given permission everywhere I've asked. I know that 100% is coming to an end and I want to keep my success rate up there, maybe a card is a good thing?

Also... I'm still wrapping my head around the best way to ask people who don't know you how to get them to allow you to not only walk over their property but to dig plugs in their yard. In an old apple orchard they wouldn't mind much if I dig. In their front yard where they're proud of their lawn & pay someone to cut the grass & do their landscape, I can see that as an issue to overcome.

Another bugger is what can be a reasonable incentive to encourage them to do so. Thus far that hasn't been a problem but I am still at a loss what to say when someone wants to know what happens to what I find, what's in it for them. Say they want 50:50... fine if I find two 1908 silver dollars in the same condition, but I'd hate to find something really nice and that's what they want & so do I.

Thoughts?

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Business Cards

KA1J,

Can use just about any of the desktop publishing programs out there to make them...just depends on what you want it to look like...can send you a picture of a business card my wife made up for me...PM me with your Email address and I'll send it over to ya...

Got-Good-Tones

OP
OP
K

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! PM sent.

Anything that might get a permission is a good thing.

OP
OP
K

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got good Tones, Thank you for sending that. I'm wondering if it helps to have descriptions of what we find on the card.

I do have to come better to grips with how to convince someone you don't know, to give you permission to search their property & retrieve things, some of value and be able to keep the pieces you want.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember a thread about the same thing sometime back in 2017 and several had cards and even posted them to show what they had on them and designs. You could search and see if you can find it and see what they were using. Given a little time, some might respond to your thread with info and examples.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The card idea is great - I use my club's business card to leave with interested folks in the hobby,
to drum up members, and to leave with prospective permissions. Phone number and/or email address
is all I put on it, but on the back of the card, we have a list of Ethics we abide by.

Be yourself, friendly, very courteous, and always thank them for their time.
Maybe get them engaged in the history related to their property, if they don't know.... Relaxed conversation.
Best to catch the owners outside, mowing the lawn, or plowing the field.

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KA1J,

No problem dude...:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Also have about 12-13 Word documents I can send you via email related to metal detecting permissions...but it's better to do it in person if you can...first couple of times might be a little bit scary tho...:BangHead:

What's the worse thing they can say...NO !!! So the way I see it you have a 50/50 chance...:headbang: :headbang:

Got-Good-Tones

OP
OP
K

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to read them. I know the answer is 50/50 or some side of that balance. I just hate to think of a truly desirable spot being lost because I could have said it differently. Last year the two best chances for permissions, I got but they told me another had already asked and found colonial coins. I found little of interest, no coins. Had to dig 14" to get a pistol ball, that was the best I found in both places. I was lucky I think, I wonder if I knew nothing about what we do, if I'd let a stranger canvass my property and dig holes.

So many Colonial places in New England, I'm always interested in how others have successfully approached a home and gotten permission to cut holes on their property.

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KA1J,

Research...Research...Research...The more you know about the area you want to hunt the better...kind of helps you draw them into the Metal Detecting MATRIX...:laughing7: :laughing7:

PM me with the general area(s) and or towns you might want to hunt...and I'll see if I can turn up anything for your area...(I.E. - Maps, Soil maps, Old maps...etc...etc.

Got-Good-Tones

OP
OP
K

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Casper, Thanks for the link but the article was not readable with this computer, I tried expanding it but still couldn't make out the letters.

Cheers!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using metal detecting business cards for 15 years now. They help put the homeowner at ease as I start to go into my "talk" about what I do for a hobby. I kept it simple. I have a picture of myself and my then 10 year old Granddaughter holding my metal detector on the far left side. It simply states that I am a hobbyist and may I detect your property ? It also has my phone number on it. I think they work very well, and that's why I keep using them to this day. I know a lot of people said to print them online, but I use a good old fashioned print shop. I get a very good deal on an order of 300 at a time.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Casper, Thanks for the link but the article was not readable with this computer, I tried expanding it but still couldn't make out the letters.

Cheers!
usually just clicking on pic will enlarge
double arrow icon - upper right will enlarge a little
right lick and print ?don't know if will print what is seen or actual size
if you cant not do any of those - go to your setting views and use your computers zoom feature
that will work
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/6831831903/in/photostream/

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't ask to dig plugs in lawns. I will ask about disturbed areas like gardens or farm fields and if they offer to allow me on the lawns, that is a bonus, but not expected. There is so much variation in digging plugs - one person's plug can appear to another person to be a bomb crater...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Only my opinion here...
If you are going to hand out cards , hand a quality card.
A stout kraft , or parchment card has a texture. Not like a thin paper glossy card. There is something about the tactic/ tangibility value.
Keep it simple. And sane. Metal detector guy, /(gal) with a contact number and home region base of operations can be enough. Or too much!
Hopefully some cards get saved and in the future if some one loses something or has curiosity your card may be recalled.

Landowners know other landowners. A permission denied could lead to another. So stay gracious to potential hosts.

I'm not against offering to demonstrate a recovery when putting a concern about potholes and back hoes show in an owners eyes to rest.
Due to ridiculous "treasure" shows on t.v. , some folks think there is treasure everywhere and they will get taken advantage of.
Some of what I might say if an owner wants to chat about my interests...Though I should be learning about their historical interests too..

"I'm just interested in history. Coins mainly when detecting , and a coin older than myself is not real common usually , but that's generally what I'm looking for.
I run (add your ratio here) about 400 clad coins to one silver depending on sites history.
Your neat house hints of history. An era when coins were silver (I'm not going to mention gold due to eyes lighting up...) before fiat money led to clad".

If an owner looks mystified I can show them clad....Most older ones can recall silver in it's heyday during their youth and relate to a simple coin being a link to another time.
"Value is not high on silvers generally , but it's fun to recover an old well traveled silver now and then".

And if you want to go off the deep end...
"If you know of any long gone homes on lonely homesteads I'd be obliged if the owners let me detect too.
You could join me on one and see more of what detecting is about if you're interested".

Last edited:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I used Vista Print. Very reasonable and good quality.

OP
OP
K

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Casper, I don't understand what the issue is but it says I'm using an unsupported browser (Using Internet Explorer at the moment) and it also seems to want me to join flicker so all I'm seeing is a thumbnail that doesn't magnify (No + or - option). I do use Microsoft magnifier but expanding the thumbnail only pixelates it. I won't be able to open itwith this computer, but I do appreciate the offer.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't ask to dig plugs in lawns. I will ask about disturbed areas like gardens or farm fields and if they offer to allow me on the lawns, that is a bonus, but not expected. There is so much variation in digging plugs - one person's plug can appear to another person to be a bomb crater...

Yes, and no-sign of me being there, is wonderful, as far as the owner is concerned.
I always invite them to follow me around - I don't worry, people are always
watching me anyway, so I do the best I can, then some...!
A drop cloth works well, getting the dirt back in the hole! Especially if a deeper
target beckons...! I prefer shallow targets, however, and narrow "gopher holes" in lawns are
easily fixed. Poke at the dirt in the hole, then close the lid, and "tamp" very soundly, all round it...!
Good job! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread