San Gabriel River Outing 9/18/12 All are welcome to join for a fun day Prospecting

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
San Gabriel River Outing

We took a drive up to the river last week, the roads are open! Our outing for this Wednesday, the 19th, is on. We'll be meeting at the Jack in the Box and LEAVING the parking lot at 8am, if you plan to join please be there before 8am. We plan to prospect anywhere between the picnic area and the Cattle Creek Bridge. As always, you are welcome to prospect anywhere and come and go as you wish, there are no restrictions. If you've never been there and plan to follow the "caravan" please be prepared to leave the parking lot by 8am, don't forget to have your adventure passes. Details for this outing and Jack in the box address are listed on our website at: Where can you find gold, Gold Panning Locations, How To Find Gold Future outings will be posted here as well.

Here is a link to the pics form the outing back in June. was a great time for all...

https://plus.google.com/photos/109432531972679422575/albums/5756579602684798865?banner=pwa

Upvote 0

CT8620

Sep 10, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personal Safety?

San Gabriel River Outing

We took a drive up to the river last week, the roads are open! Our outing for this Wednesday, the 19th, is on. We'll be meeting at the Jack in the Box and LEAVING the parking lot at 8am, if you plan to join please be there before 8am. We plan to prospect anywhere between the picnic area and the Cattle Creek Bridge. As always, you are welcome to prospect anywhere and come and go as you wish, there are no restrictions. If you've never been there and plan to follow the "caravan" please be prepared to leave the parking lot by 8am, don't forget to have your adventure passes. Details for this outing and Jack in the box address are listed on our website at: Where can you find gold, Gold Panning Locations, How To Find Gold Future outings will be posted here as well.

Here is a link to the pics form the outing back in June. was a great time for all...

https://plus.google.com/photos/109432531972679422575/albums/5756579602684798865?banner=pwa

Hey Ashman,

What's the word on personal safety up there? I went yesterday for the first time, near the Cattle Canyon bridge, and immediately going from the car to the trail walked past a group of thuggish looking characters, one carrying a case of Corona another dragging an aluminum baseball bat behind him. I sort of nodded a hello as I walked by them and got a wicked evil stare, like why are you and your friend on our turf. There's fresh graffiti all over the rocks down there and an UNBELIEVABLE amount of trash and garbage (and mattresses etc). WTH? Have you heard of any issues, including car break-ins etc lately? Should I be bringing backup? Is there any law enforcement that patrols there?

Nice little trip yesterday, minus that dark cloud.

CT

OP
OP
Ashman

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CT8620 I felt the same way about SGR, damn how safe can this place be. I have been up there maybe 12-15 times over the last 5 months. I have to say I have never met a bad person or felt like I was in harm’s way. A couple of the trips I was by myself and yea I was very nervous but never had a single issue. A couple other trips my wife and our 3 year little girl came with us.

But saying all that I have met some or come across everything from college kids partying to gangbangers. It’s like anywhere you go these days either Wal-Mart or out in the middle of SGR always use your gut instinct and never keep your back to a stranger.

I moved here to Southern Cali about 6 months ago and I watched that show on discovery channel called gangland. They did one episode on the MS-13 gang out here and I was like damn these guys just don’t give a turd about anyone or anything. One day one of the biggest guys I have come across in a long time wearing no shirt with tons of tats walked up on me while I was sluicing and he was very polite and respectful. Of course he had the same old questions about what ya doing, how much gold you find etc…

He had 2 young kids with him and he turned to see what one of them was doing and across his back there was a tat bigger then my chest “MS-13”. I damn near pooped myself because I had no idea where this was going. We talked for a few more minutes and off they went.

So yea there are all kinds of people up there and I find morning to 2-3 in the afternoon to be the best times to go and then I am out of there. One day I heard a big group partying just down from me and I knew I had to walk that way to leave and I noticed they were getting a little louder so I figured it was best to get out now before the beers really starting kicking in. Better safe than sorry, ya know. I walked right past them and everyone was really nice and easy going.

As far as the law coming down there I have seen the sheriff patrol the road one time but then again I am not on the road hanging out. I have had the FS walk up on me once or twice but very rarely have I seen the law out there. All the times I have seen the law it was on the weekends.

Under the cattle bridge about 2 months ago was a little tent city that started to grow there and a lot of homeless starting to gather along the road before you get there and one day we went up there to prospect and everyone was gone. We could only assume the law came through there and ran everyone out of there.

So I hoped I helped ya out some to ease your mind but like anything always trust the hairs on the back of your neck and if you don’t have to go alone up there then by all means don’t. Not just because of who you might meet up there but you have been there and it’s real easy to get hurt up there as well.

Drop me a line sometime I go up there as much as I can and hate to go alone as well. I’m down off the I10 through Lambs canyon about an hour and half away from SGR.

CT8620

Sep 10, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ashman ... Thanks for your advice. I've certainly been in far shadier surroundings, but I guess it just took me by surprise mostly as I really wasn't expecting it ... there of all places. Not having cell service wasn't thrilling either in that circumstance as it takes one option off the table. But yeah, I'll trust my gut and keep an eye out.

I did have a conversation with another prospector that I met in the parking area. Cool guy, we chatted for a while and he showed me a pic of his best find to date on his iPhone. So there was certainly some positive interaction with others there ... just gotta look past the rest.

Yeah, there are most certainly some slip & trip hazards out there. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I take an unexpected plunge in the stream (those rocks with the green algae on them are damn slippery!), but hopefully that's the worst of it.

I'm about an hour from SGR in the opposite direction from you, in the San Fernando Valley. Yeah, we should definitely meet up there at some point. My schedule is always changing so it's hard to make definite plans (usually they're made that morning), but if I can nail a day down in advance I'll drop you a note.

CT

OP
OP
Ashman

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the pics from the outing the other day along with the other outings in our area...Just wanted to give a thumbs up to the crew at American Prospector Treasure Seeker for taking time on there only day off to put together these outings for everyone to enjoy and learn the basics to prospecting...

Gold Prospecting Outing Photos - SouthernCal Prospecting Outings

OP
OP
Ashman

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple pieces from my trip the other day at SGR... gold3.jpg

CT8620

Sep 10, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. We've been pretty well skunked working just north of Coyote Canyon the last couple times. Still learning and still trying though...gotta learn the tricks of the trade.

CT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread