Spring Prospecting Outing for all

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This time of year is the prime desert prospecting season. The weather is beautiful the gold nuggies are growing fat and the normally cranky prospectors are often almost pleasant to be around.

Bill Southern normally puts on two "outings" each year. This Spring's outing is going to be at Jackass Flats in the famous Little San Domingo mining district. Good gold, good grub and good weather are a virtual guarantee. And the really cool part is the outing is FREE and open to everyone.

The outing is scheduled for the Weekend of March 17 - 19. That's next week. There will be a potluck on Saturday night and Bill usually smokes a good brisket or two for those lucky enough to be in line when it's served.

The outing is FREE but you need to do a few things to be a good visitor.

1. The outing site at Jackass Flats is on Arizona State trust lands. It's cool to be there but if you plan on spending the night camping there or recreating you will need to get yourself a State recreation pass. You can camp on the nearby BLM lands with no permit for free but then you would miss out on the evening fires and BS sessions. Believe me you want to be at the fire and BS sessions. Some of the best and most successful prospectors in the U.S. are going to be there and their BS is the best you will find anywhere. If you have never experienced premium B.S. this is your chance.

2. You need to come prepared to provide your own food, water and toilet facilities. Bill will be providing some meat but if you don't bring a good sized dish to share you would be freeloading. You really don't want to be a freeloader with this crew. Nuff said? While you are at it try to bring some wood for the fire. This is the desert and it's not like you can just wander around picking up wood. Without a fire the BS dies down pretty quick. Nice fires = nice BS. The freeloader thing applies here too.

There will be drinking and such in the evenings to go with the B.S. Bring your own or do without. There may be some carousing too but I saw some once and it's a sight I'm still trying to erase from my memory. If you plan on carousing same thing - bring your own and for my sake keep it to yourself.

Although the outing site is primitive a lot of folks bring their own housing and civilization. Access is easy and a two wheel drive car is sufficient. The road in is County maintained gravel except the last short bit to Jackass. It's a great area for ATVs. Stores, gas, and lodging are nearby in Wickenburg and Surprise and some folks choose to stay in town when they are not prospecting or enjoying the prime BS. There are club claims nearby the outing site including GPAA. Typically during the day folks prospect and there is some expected competition for the biggest/most gold found each day. Evenings are for food and relaxing with ample quantities of B.S. and whatever else makes the evening go easy.

The Little San Domingo is literally in Bill's backyard. I know a lot of you know Bill. He often speaks at the GPAA shows and writes for several of the mining publications. Bill does have a prospecting store in Morristown but these outings aren't about selling you anything. I've never seen anyone trying to make a buck at one of these except the occasional sun stroked prospector who thinks his BS is worth something.

So if you can come on out, and find out what a real prospector smells like. :thumbsup: Get some sun and some good food and soak up some quality BS. As you would expect I've made a map or two to help you get there:

Small 3D map of Jackass Flats

BIG 3D map of Jackass Flats - don't try to load this one unless you have some major bandwidth and processing power.

The location is near the intersection of U.S. Hwy 60 and State Hwy 74 just off Castle Hot Springs Road. Just Northwest of Phoenix AZ

This is a family friendly outing. There will be children and dogs, you can bring your own if you like. Watch out for Max - nice dog but he will steal your meal. :laughing7:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Clay,
What might be the expected night time temps? I'd expect the days to be warm but not that bad, yes no? Thank you, 63bkpkr

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a great time this sounds like. That's real straight up of Bill to put this on.

I sure wish there was a little earlier notice. I've never prospected the desert and would really like to go to one of these outings some time. Maybe this fall? I can BS pretty good myself.

Take a lot of pictures and have a great time guys and gals.

Mike

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what's the deal here you just show up? I take it Jackass Flats is public land, no claims? Sounds like a bunch of fun, maybe I can convince my Family to go camping lol!

Do you need something like the GoldBug in order to detect here successfully?

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, what a great time this sounds like. That's real straight up of Bill to put this on.

I sure wish there was a little earlier notice. I've never prospected the desert and would really like to go to one of these outings some time. Maybe this fall? I can BS pretty good myself.

Take a lot of pictures and have a great time guys and gals.

Mike

You don't need an outing to prospect here Mike. Just give me a heads up when you can come out and I'll arrange to put you on good pay ground. The prospecting and the BS are free for you! I suspect when you see what you can pull out of the ground here you might decide to become a desert rat yourself! :thumbsup:

Send me a PM and I'll share a link so you can see whenever Bill schedules the next outing.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So what's the deal here you just show up? I take it Jackass Flats is public land, no claims? Sounds like a bunch of fun, maybe I can convince my Family to go camping lol!

Do you need something like the GoldBug in order to detect here successfully?

Yeah you just show up. Your family doesn't have to camp - they can live a life of luxury just down the highway. Heck we have several motels here that will give you a discount if you tell them you are a prospector! This sure ain't Commiefornia. :thumbsup:

It's not public land where the outing camp is. It's State Trust land and if you get the rec pass you promise not to prospect. The State land in this area is open to Federal Mining Claims but that's a whole different story all together. Just figure you won't be prospecting right around camp.

A short distance in several directions is BLM managed land open to claim. There are a lot of claims but this year there are also several areas still unclaimed. The BS session is critical because that's where you will make friends and find out where you can prospect successfully. I don't know what detector you have but the ground is "hot" here and no matter what detector you use you will need a critical ear in most areas. On the other hand you will see and hear of nuggets found there that could have been found with a child's detector from Walmart. It's an area known for whoppers. A six ounce nugget 7 inches down doesn't take a lot of detector to find but you will also dig a lot of bullets, boot tacks, cans, screening and horse/ox shoes. Perseverance is often the name of the game in the LSD.

Heavy Pans

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
And wouldn't you know it! I have a Dr.s appointment and a Grandsons B.D. ! Sure wish I could have made it . I hope everyone has a great time and the weather to be perfect for the outing! GOOD LUCK ! And stay safe!

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a blast, guess I'll ask the fam if they want to get dirty for a few days! Hah!

Edit: As far as detectors, I have a Whites MXT and a Sand Shark

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang I would so go but, A member is heading up that week and I will be showing him a good time.

pretty much the last chance I would have had to go that far until fall. Getting ready to open. Hoping to move in to a bigger better suite even. I'm about to get real busy

Does he do anything in the fall? I want to come stay in the area for a few weeks in the fall.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would have made plans to be there If I had more notice. Oh well maybe next outing. :icon_thumleft:

Have fun and be safe,
GG~

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Claydiggins Thanks for the invite. Sounds like something that should not be missed however I am knee deep in it here and That's not going to change by next week so I won't be making it. Here's a little pre-BS. Everyone please feel free to find all the nugs that I would have had I been there.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would love to join sometime. Dry washing too or just MDing?

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't need an outing to prospect here Mike. Just give me a heads up when you can come out and I'll arrange to put you on good pay ground. The prospecting and the BS are free for you! I suspect when you see what you can pull out of the ground here you might decide to become a desert rat yourself! :thumbsup:

Send me a PM and I'll share a link so you can see whenever Bill schedules the next outing.

Heavy Pans

I sure appreciate that offer Barry. I'm going to try and do just that, prospect the desert. It would be great to get some locale wisdom.

You having lived in this area, probably agree there's no greater contrast in environments as where I'm at here in Northwestern California and your neck of the woods now. Here it's green everywhere and flowing streams year round. We've had a more typical winter than the recent past seasons. Where I work, just south of the Oregon border, we've had 113.4 inches of rain this season. We will usually get a fair amount more in April and May.

Mike

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
there's a jackass flats off Tyler Foote Rd. in N. Columbia up in my neck of the woods. used to be be a hydraulicking, now it's inhabited by human jackasses: tweakers.

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospectors began arriving last night. Several are from out of state. The camp has begun forming and the cooking begins in earnest tomorrow morning.

Heavy Pans

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a nice trip! For all those going have lots of fun! The true reward is the adventure and the life long memories they bring, while the gold found is natures way of thanking you for sharing your time with her!

Be sure to post pictures of your adventure! Have a great time!

I'm starting off on my 1st adventure of the season on Saturday. Heading up north to El Dorado county, Garden Valley area for a week. Mother nature is greeting me with on and off rain and cooler weather it looks like. Nothing a rain suit won't handle it looks like!

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Share the BS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions