3.8 gram nugget, prospecting via whitewater kayak!

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went whitewater kayak prospecting on the South Fork American yesterday and we found a doozy, a 3.84 gram nugget! It was in a small pocket just under the vegetative mat, not even in a crevice… doesn’t look like it spent much time in the river at all. Which is good, because I think I know where it came from. Will be going back with the metal detector to work the slope up to an area of visible alteration. It is a VERY steep slope… impossible to access unless you have solid whitewater skills.

The funny part of the story about this nugget is the name it gets… we’re calling it the Greenhorn Nugget. Here’s why…

My buddy James is a good whitewater kayaker, but until yesterday he had no clue what gold looked like. Yesterday morning he comes over with a vial of mica thinking he’s rich… I dump it in my driveway and tell him I will show him what gold looks like and where to find it. We get in the kayaks and paddle about a mile of Class 3 rapids and pull to shore to work a few crevices… he figures out pretty quick what gold looks like and we both are doing well, 5-10 flakes and a couple pickers in each pan… a couple of the pickers were quartz encrusted gold… hmmm… can’t be far from the source…

We head downstream through one more rapid and split up, James on one side of the outcrop, me on the other… not two minutes later he comes walking up with the nugget in his hand asking “is this what I think it is”? I grabbed it and told him no, it’s fool’s gold for sure, and now he’s a fool for handing it to me!

To be truthful, I was jealous of his find, but only for a few seconds… I am super stoked that a verifiable GREENHORN, first time prospecting, found such a nice nugget. James is now hooked! I told him not to expect another nugget like that anytime soon…

L.G.

(nickle for scale)
nugget.jpg

Upvote 0

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a great nugget L.G. Kind of like getting a big buck the first time hunting. Both can be done again with scouting and smart work.

Mike

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went whitewater kayak prospecting on the South Fork American yesterday and we found a doozy, a 3.84 gram nugget! It was in a small pocket just under the vegetative mat, not even in a crevice… doesn’t look like it spent much time in the river at all. Which is good, because I think I know where it came from. Will be going back with the metal detector to work the slope up to an area of visible alteration. It is a VERY steep slope… impossible to access unless you have solid whitewater skills.

The funny part of the story about this nugget is the name it gets… we’re calling it the Greenhorn Nugget. Here’s why…

My buddy James is a good whitewater kayaker, but until yesterday he had no clue what gold looked like. Yesterday morning he comes over with a vial of mica thinking he’s rich… I dump it in my driveway and tell him I will show him what gold looks like and where to find it. We get in the kayaks and paddle about a mile of Class 3 rapids and pull to shore to work a few crevices… he figures out pretty quick what gold looks like and we both are doing well, 5-10 flakes and a couple pickers in each pan… a couple of the pickers were quartz encrusted gold… hmmm… can’t be far from the source…

We head downstream through one more rapid and split up, James on one side of the outcrop, me on the other… not two minutes later he comes walking up with the nugget in his hand asking “is this what I think it is”? I grabbed it and told him no, it’s fool’s gold for sure, and now he’s a fool for handing it to me!

To be truthful, I was jealous of his find, but only for a few seconds… I am super stoked that a verifiable GREENHORN, first time prospecting, found such a nice nugget. James is now hooked! I told him not to expect another nugget like that anytime soon…

L.G.

(nickle for scale)
View attachment 977010

What a sweet story! He should be hooked too, and it's amazing how many times I've been out and seen greenhorns do just that, pull out a nugget! Perhaps that's where the phrase "beginner's luck" came from, the goldfields? Anyway, if it didn't, it should have.

Great story and great find. That piece of gold just screams character!

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...-north-american-placer-freakin-fantastic.html

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The best kind of nugget is one you can trip over :hello2:

medic7a

Apr 30, 2013
Placerville, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ha, I kinda thought that was you I was talking to when you described the mica that your buddy brought to you. I was across the river when your buddy jumped up and started doing the happy dance. Did you guys find anything else on the way down?

OP
OP
Lotus Geologist

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ha, I kinda thought that was you I was talking to when you described the mica that your buddy brought to you. I was across the river when your buddy jumped up and started doing the happy dance. Did you guys find anything else on the way down?

Hey Medic, we actually did a little better upstream, but no additional nuggets... "just" pickers and a bunch of flakes... We hit three more bedrock outcrops on the way downstream and it was mostly fine gold... Gonna hit it again tomorrow.

How did you do on our your side of the river? I have found some nice pickers on that bedrock right where you were panning.

L.G.

medic7a

Apr 30, 2013
Placerville, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did ok. I was just out for a couple of pans and the exercise. I had already explored a different canyon that morning and got skunked so i decided to hit that spot.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I knew that kayaking idea was a good one.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wowser! Way to catch the fever and a smoking one at that!

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

L.G.

(nickle for scale)
View attachment 977010

" doesn’t look like it spent much time in the river at all ".

I gotta agree with that .

Damn nice piece regardless of when it got there . :icon_thumright:
Good luck on the follow up .

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was out there all day myself but no luck like that. Great find by your buddy. He now knows what gold looks like.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread