What's new

Mining claim partnership

IDAu

Full Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2024
Messages
146
Reaction score
165
Golden Thread
0
I'm looking for advice about what experienced people would do in this situation. I keep hearing horror stories about partnerships.


Last year I acquired an underground mine. I thought the guy had passed and that's why it was let go, but then found out he was alive. In the last few weeks we got in contact. At first he swore he paid the fee and spent a week trying to find receipts, and talking to BLM/lawyers. He called me again and said he thinks we can come to an agreement without involving lawyers and partner up. He knows he didn't pay the yearly fee and admits the cards are in my hands.

He seems like a very nice guy. He has an immense amount of history and knowledge (having had the mine in his family for nearly 30 years), and an approved NOI, as well as a lot of money at his disposal. He's put hundreds of thousands of dollars in this mine. And while he doesn't want to give me specifics until we agree on a partnership, it sounds like an enormous amount of gold has come out of there. He spoke of at one time thinking of selling it to an interested corporation. Talk of an old vein/drift he was trying to get on with very high grade, etc.

After all the bad stories my gut says no, don't involve him at all, but my heart says yes. I feel really bad for this guy. He's a lot older and not in great health. When he thought he still owned it he mentioned wanting to partner with me. If his story is true that he's been waiting on an NOI just to screw up and lose it not long after it got approved....ouch.


Where do I even begin with this? It sounds like with his financial backing, knowledge, and NOI, a partnership would likely allow us to get in and mining immediately. By myself, I may struggle getting much done due to lack of funds and knowledge of the situation.

But I've been warned about "subtle takeovers" and a lot of other legal things that could be used against me to take it back or at least gain control if he's on the paperwork at all.


What would you do? How would you protect yourself? If I could 100% protect myself and retain control I would have no problem splitting the gold or working something out to keep him involved in something he's so emotionally attached to. If this was a small hobby operation rather than a possible full time job operation, I wouldn't care so much.
 
Upvote 0
Sorry IDAu, did my best. I'd like to have said more, but the site has rules and I don't want to end up in TNet
2617.gif
.

Any comment from me would most likely fall on deaf ears, anyway.
 
Sorry IDAu, did my best. I'd like to have said more, but the site has rules and I don't want to end up in TNet View attachment 2200504.

Any comment from me would most likely fall on deaf ears, anyway.
Did not fall on deaf ears. Thanks for pointing out.
Good luck.
 
Only the new owner knows that, is it recorded with the county recorders office, most important, going through the BLM means nothing and they will tell you that you must do your due diligence. Cover your bases, you don't own a claim unless all required processes are done.
 
Only the new owner knows that, is it recorded with the county recorders office, most important, going through the BLM means nothing and they will tell you that you must do your due diligence. Cover your bases, you don't own a claim unless all required processes are done.
Great points. Due diligence is necessary as part of 'Perfecting claim'.
Most likely any "Arising" issues will start at the County level / State agencies.
 
I'm looking for advice about what experienced people would do in this situation. I keep hearing horror stories about partnerships.


Last year I acquired an underground mine. I thought the guy had passed and that's why it was let go, but then found out he was alive. In the last few weeks we got in contact. At first he swore he paid the fee and spent a week trying to find receipts, and talking to BLM/lawyers. He called me again and said he thinks we can come to an agreement without involving lawyers and partner up. He knows he didn't pay the yearly fee and admits the cards are in my hands.

He seems like a very nice guy. He has an immense amount of history and knowledge (having had the mine in his family for nearly 30 years), and an approved NOI, as well as a lot of money at his disposal. He's put hundreds of thousands of dollars in this mine. And while he doesn't want to give me specifics until we agree on a partnership, it sounds like an enormous amount of gold has come out of there. He spoke of at one time thinking of selling it to an interested corporation. Talk of an old vein/drift he was trying to get on with very high grade, etc.

After all the bad stories my gut says no, don't involve him at all, but my heart says yes. I feel really bad for this guy. He's a lot older and not in great health. When he thought he still owned it he mentioned wanting to partner with me. If his story is true that he's been waiting on an NOI just to screw up and lose it not long after it got approved....ouch.


Where do I even begin with this? It sounds like with his financial backing, knowledge, and NOI, a partnership would likely allow us to get in and mining immediately. By myself, I may struggle getting much done due to lack of funds and knowledge of the situation.

But I've been warned about "subtle takeovers" and a lot of other legal things that could be used against me to take it back or at least gain control if he's on the paperwork at all.


What would you do? How would you protect yourself? If I could 100% protect myself and retain control I would have no problem splitting the gold or working something out to keep him involved in something he's so emotionally attached to. If this was a small hobby operation rather than a possible full time job operation, I wouldn't care so much.
That’s definitely a tough spot to be in. Partnerships on mining claims can get complicated, even when both people have good intentions. Once money and legal rights are on the table, it’s easy for things to go sideways.

Since he mentioned having an approved NOI, one of the first things I’d do is actually look at what that NOI was approved for. An NOI can cover a wide range of activities, from small-scale sampling to more extensive excavation, but it doesn’t give blanket permission for anything you want. Knowing the exact scope that was signed off on would tell you a lot about how realistic his plans are.

I came across an article that breaks down what a Notice of Intent really means and when it applies — it might help you sort out some of the questions:
https://patriotminingclaims.com/notice-of-intent-mining-arizona/

As far as protecting yourself, the safest way is to keep everything in your name and only work out agreements that don’t give away control of the claim itself. If you do decide to involve him, I’d definitely get things in writing and probably consult a lawyer who understands mining law before moving forward.
 
Sorry IDAu, did my best. I'd like to have said more, but the site has rules and I don't want to end up in TNet View attachment 2200504.

Any comment from me would most likely fall on deaf ears, anyway.
LOL I’ve been in there a few times, this forum used to awesome but damn it’s gotten bad, ask the moderators to do something and when they fail and you make comment you end up in that penalty box, mention the penalty box your on the list for the penalty box, ask questions about Clay Diggins Straight to the COOLER!!!
 
That’s definitely a tough spot to be in. Partnerships on mining claims can get complicated, even when both people have good intentions. Once money and legal rights are on the table, it’s easy for things to go sideways.

Since he mentioned having an approved NOI, one of the first things I’d do is actually look at what that NOI was approved for. An NOI can cover a wide range of activities, from small-scale sampling to more extensive excavation, but it doesn’t give blanket permission for anything you want. Knowing the exact scope that was signed off on would tell you a lot about how realistic his plans are.

I came across an article that breaks down what a Notice of Intent really means and when it applies — it might help you sort out some of the questions:
https://patriotminingclaims.com/notice-of-intent-mining-arizona/

As far as protecting yourself, the safest way is to keep everything in your name and only work out agreements that don’t give away control of the claim itself. If you do decide to involve him, I’d definitely get things in writing and probably consult a lawyer who understands mining law before moving forward.
After months of back and forth I told him I’m not interested anymore. I’m not sure if it was age or health, but every conversation was like starting anew. He flip flopped and wanted 50% ownership of the claim, and all he had to offer were stories and info. He wasnt even able to make a trip up to meet so a partnership seemed like a bad idea.

I’ve met and spoke with a few guys that had worked on it for him in the past. It sounds like I have something amazing I need to hold onto.

Another member from the forum came up and found some good gold panning in the creek out front that we’re guessing came from eroded waste rock. If that was their waste I can’t wait to get on the good stuff.


IMG_5780.webp

The massive easily accessible vein also looks like it’s workable, despite being low grade. As soon as I mine a ton of it by myself with my small Ryobi I’m taking it on an out of state road trip to process at a potential partners place.

IMG_5853.webp
IMG_5854.webp
 
That other forum member must be a lucky guy! Haha

Thanks again for letting me come out there! Definitely one of my favorite experiences prospecting around. Looking forward to seeing what happens when you get that mine opened up.
 
Keep in mind you're responsible! For everything! Including clean up and recovery.
Just part of due diligence. Good point.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom