Travel Channel documentary about Swift

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
This is from Mike Steely’s Facebook group..

All members...Ryan Golembeske is planning to film a treasure series for the Travel Channel and hopes to include the Swift Legend. I told him the legend could make several one-hour shows. He's joined this Facebook Group and will be in Kentucky the week of December 10th. If you're interested in the project you can can contact him at "[email protected] or call him at 310-261-1626. I've given him Roy Price's telephone number. He contacted Ed Henson who referred him to me. Interested? You can chime in here if you are or contact Ryan directly.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta be connected and wealthy just to think you would be chosen to help do the show.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is from Mike Steely’s Facebook group..

All members...Ryan Golembeske is planning to film a treasure series for the Travel Channel and hopes to include the Swift Legend. I told him the legend could make several one-hour shows. He's joined this Facebook Group and will be in Kentucky the week of December 10th. If you're interested in the project you can can contact him at "[email protected] or call him at 310-261-1626. I've given him Roy Price's telephone number. He contacted Ed Henson who referred him to me. Interested? You can chime in here if you are or contact Ryan directly.

Would be good for some locals in Kentucky to get their work out in the public.

OP
OP
swiftfan

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Wasn't it part of the "OLD" Commonwealth of Virginia, at that time...?

Yeah, Kentucky didn’t become its own state until 1792. In John Swifts time, we were all colonies of the crown of England..

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was under French control until the end of the French-Indian War (1754-1763) and the Paris Treaty ? I'm pretty sure anything West of the Kanawa was considered 'frontier' and not Colonial land owned by the British Crown until the Treaty was signed. The original French claims were all lands drained by the Mississippi, Missouri and Ohio Rivers. Later Pres. T. Jefferson bought the more Western sections (Louisiana Purchase) from Spain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:French_and_indian_war_map.svg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_and_Indian_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Paris_(1763)

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be good for some locals in Kentucky to get their work out in the public.

Curtis and Boomer should chime in, the area around Caney Creek and the Carter Caves areas should be included...there are at least 5 and as many as 8 locations in KY that have similarities to the Legend/Journals descriptions. Many of those with long tradition and history surrounding the legend. I wonder if the show is going to focus on the legend and journals or a more 'in the field' search/adventure show.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta be connected and wealthy just to think you would be chosen to help do the show.

Connected yes, wealthy? I dunno how many folks are wealthy and out searching for 250yr old legends of treasure? Seems to me more of that goes on at sea and diving on old wrecks.

OP
OP
swiftfan

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought it was under French control until the end of the French-Indian War (1754-1763) and the Paris Treaty ? I'm pretty sure anything West of the Kanawa was considered 'frontier' and not Colonial land owned by the British Crown until the Treaty was signed. The original French claims were all lands drained by the Mississippi, Missouri and Ohio Rivers. Later Pres. T. Jefferson bought the more Western sections (Louisiana Purchase) from Spain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:French_and_indian_war_map.svg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_and_Indian_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Paris_(1763)

In 1756, the Big Sandy Voyage started from Fort Frederick, and was to travel down the Big Sandy river to attack the lower Shawnee towns on the Ohio valley. The expedition was practically doomed from the start, and only partially made it before they had to abandon their effort and head back. The area was apparently travelled by the Shawnee, as there was a couple of reports from the scouts of a hunting party nearby. So with the Shawnee on the side of the French, I’d say you’re probably right.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Travel Channel folks are from California, sounds like they need locals with regional knowledge in order to pull off the show.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In reference to the colonial times remember the British Crown told those wanting to go east not to cross the Allegany mountains. On the TV show if its like some I have dealt with be prepared to do all of the foot work and you might get a few seconds to briefly tell your part..maybe not, as they used to say "a lot ends up on the cutting room floor". But I do encourage you to participate and try to get others interested....someone will someday have some information that connects some of the dots!

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How cool! Who needs a TV show anymore! That was some great footage! Been saving for a drone was looking at that same model of drone they used as one of my students has one. I might just stop working with the TV people and go for it, document the Indian Waybill mines and narrate a little of how Swift may have been there. Next would be trying to get hooked up with You tube. I'm impressed. Tell them to Keep up the good work!

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The YouTube part would be easy! Learning to fly the drone below the tree line may take some time... $600-$1000 would be an expensive loss hung up 60ft in the air on a tree limb.

OP
OP
swiftfan

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
The YouTube part would be easy! Learning to fly the drone below the tree line may take some time... $600-$1000 would be an expensive loss hung up 60ft in the air on a tree limb.

I just bought a cheap one to learn on. There are cheaper ones that can video their trips. That’s the way I’m going, cause I’ll need to get some close shots.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have one that can hover and go straight or up and down but it is probably expensive.

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're defiantly expensive. But its amazing how many you see flying around now. I seen 3 huge ones hovering over the Breaks Canyon a few days ago. Seems like a big gamble paying that much for a machine then flying it that far away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread