Some Good Nuggetshooting Advice

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I listened and learned from this great video I have learned so much!! Thanks for posting this Terry breaking Threashold descriptions that have been presented very invaluable here never knew..this will be saved as a favorite for sure.

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Garrett sea hunter mark 2
Fisher gemini 3 ( two box )
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mr. Soloman ,
When we first moved to Az we stopped into Bill's shop and he was actually there. We talked for a bit and he was headed out to feed his chickens. He offered to take us out to a place he has been working and pulling good sized gold from. We respectfully declined because i didn't feel it was right for us to know where his current spots were. That was a very generous thing to do as he didn't have to do any of it. That gave me the utmost respect for him. His words and actions are more generous than most people will ever know !!!!

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone should see this, 33:15 when the GB was not set properly was because the sensitivity was to high, back off, then GB was ok and never get proper threashold was also another great point I never figured out but do now. I knew that mineralization in the ground does not affect the Threashold, but regarding stability of the threshold ultimately yes when speaking on sensitivity. And when the ground changes affects the threashold this is why I am learning to GB more often when the ground changes in order to have more stability.:icon_thumright:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There discussion does not seem disjointed what so ever to me perfectly explained in order properly!!

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very good tips and appreciate the great information.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....That was a very interesting video with some good tips. Not sure if it all soaked in or not, might have to watch it again and take some notes this time. I've only had my detector for about 4-5 months so I'm still kind of a newb with it. The audio examples kind of made it make more sense too me at least. Should be helpful getting the most out of the machine with some tweaking of the basic settings!

I'm leaving for a one week trip up north to El Dorado County tonight. Nugget shooting was already on the agenda!

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Terry for posting both instructive videos, some good pointers and reminders for everyone involved in the hobby regardless of experience. All the very best. :skullflag:

Jim.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry, a real good lesson and reminder of effective detecting. Great teachers with a easy to listen to manner.

Mike

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks terry for posting another video with good information.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Terry, you've nailed it again, my man! OUTstanding. Very difficult to listen to it, though, with my hearing problems. Too "bassy" for me. But what I did get out of it is the SOUND, SOUND, SOUND. You and others have been saying for years to "get the display OUT of your mindset". You'll get those newbies finding more, after all. Thanks (again) for the lesson. TTC

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These were some of the most informative videos I have seen posted up so far.

The first one especially for me made me realize a lot of things I have been doing wrong when setting up my machine before detecting.

Thank you Terry for posting them up very informative

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think that first video should be pinned to the top for anyone to look at at any time

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mind blown. I've never hunted for nuggets but that is an awesome
overview of controls and how they function. So many things make so much more sense now.
Thanks for sharing that Terry. Gonna watch the second video now.

Noah

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok I have a question on some of the info in the first video

they stated if I remember rite to set the threshold so you hear a rhythm in it, and to turn the sensitivity all the way down and then ground balance

My question is
Is there a minimum or a maximum as to how loud the threshold should be

I am currently using a MINE LAB XTERRA 705 when I set up the threshold I set it so I can tell its there but its not loud so again my question is,is there a minimum or a maximum as to how loud the threshold should sound

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It should be JUST loud enough to hear any deviation from the steady hum. :skullflag:

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Watched this one and one with Rob A. Looked 'potent then (maybe the hair?), even with belly; learned more on this one even with his skinny ruffled look. He and Kevin, hard to beat for just good smart down to earth folks! Thanks and Thanks to you Terry for filming!

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It should be JUST loud enough to hear any deviation from the steady hum. :skullflag:[/QUOTE

Thank you Mr Soloman as usual you are always great help think I have it now but we shall see thought I had it after using the 705 for the past 8 -9 years and then you posted this video up and I realized I did not so again thank you

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Listen, and learn from two of the best!

Terry,
I know one of the detectors you have recommended in the past is the Tesoro Lobo ST which is what I own. On the video the guys emphasize that detectors work best when the coils scrape the ground. The manufacturer instructions for the Lobo are specific in saying "The searchcoil should not touch the ground during your sweep" and that is the way I have been using it. What has been your experience with the Lobo and what are your recommendations for optimal operation? If there are some other helpful tips specific to the Lobo, those would be appreciated too.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread