Anybody know if the Harbor Freight Pinpointer are any good?

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For the money they are about as good as you can get. But if you want a very good pinpointer the Garrett Propointer is your best bet. I have used HF for quite some time and they do work very well. The main problem that I have with them is that the switches seem to keep going bad on them.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes for the money they may last you a yr or two. But I really like my Garrett Pro Pointer......Matt

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, they are decent, and last a while. I own a Pro-Pointer also, and if you can save for a bit it's well worth the wait. If not, that Harbor Freight is waaaaaaay better than nothing. 

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know the Garret pin pointer is worth every penny you pay for it. Don't skimp, you'll regret it later.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Roland58 said:
I know the Garret pin pointer is worth every penny you pay for it. Don't skimp, you'll regret it later.

There's not much regret you can have over $16.00. That's pretty cheap...

If $120.00 is possible though, spend it on the Pro-Pointer!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The facts, both find targets at the same dept. The switch is the weak spot in the HF, but it is only about $2 at Radio Shack. It is easy to replace if you know how to solider. The HF is easy to mod if you are into that. I have added a bright blue LED that lights when the target is located. The Pro Pointer Has a more streamlined case, but is not easily field repairable or modified. The big difference is the price. HF cost about $16. , the Pro pointer cost $160.
I have used the HF for over a year and it has easily found every target I have used it on.
Frank

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
The facts, both find targets at the same dept. The switch is the weak spot in the HF, but it is only about $2 at Radio Shack. It is easy to replace if you know how to solider. The HF is easy to mod if you are into that. I have added a bright blue LED that lights when the target is located. The Pro Pointer Has a more streamlined case, but is not easily field repairable or modified. The big difference is the price. HF cost about $16. , the Pro pointer cost $160.
Frank

The ProPointer doesn't need any modifications Here is one on eBay (not mine and I don't know the seller) and it cost $115 shipped new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garrett-Pro...933?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ff28425d

But you can get it all day long for $127. Buy it before it's gone - (Oops... It's already gone.) You won't regret it.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The HF pinpointer does NOT locate at the same depths as the Propointer.......don't take my word for it, check out the air tests on Youtube. Plus, you can do the "coin on the side" trick with the Garrett and gain even more depth.

Yeah, $16 is tough to beat and hard to resist. I might have tried it, if I had known about them before I bought the Garrett, but, I'm not even sure they had them back then. I've had the Garrett for quite a while and it is still kicking right along. I love the vibrate feature, especially, when I am around traffic or other noises and wearing full cover earphones.

I'd say, whatever crumbles your cookie and can only add that I don't think you can go wrong with the Garrett. One thing for sure....DON'T get the V4 or whatever it is from Kellyco (it is the one that they "give" you as part of the extras package when buying a locator).

BTW, HF also has a locator for $45 (http://www.harborfreight.com/9-function-metal-detector-67378.html) and it has 9 different functions!!

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
You really get what you pay for. In my case, money was an object so I bought the HF. I have to say it is just fine if you only want to go about 1/2 inch. It has lasted about a year for me. Now the button has started having a short in it, so I always look to see if the light is still on. For 15.00 I've been satisfied, but I really am hoping to get the Garrett, especially after seeing here on Tnet how the depth can be almost doubled using a trick one of our members shared.
Good Luck with your hunting. :icon_thumleft:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:BangHead: Go for Broke Get the Propointer!!!! Looks Like I Might Have to Do the Water test My self Maybe Mrs clause will Get Me A Decent Camera Soon!!!! hint hint!!!!

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes for what they are their ok I've had 2.......they also will work until you can afford a good one like the Garrett Pro Pointer which is a awesome pin pointer .

you kill a HF pin pointer you smile an say wow it lasted x amount of time that's pretty good an go an get another .

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used my ProPointer today and nailed some coins before even digging. My dig hole was only as wide as my Lesche. If I'd have had a probe (or screwdriver) I probably could have just "popped them out." It's REALLY worth the investment!!!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Dustbuster, If you can handle a screwdriver job, open your HF . Turn the screw on the blue pot "small blue box" mounted on the board and you can usually double the detection distance.
If you have trouble with the switch, you can get a new switch at Radio Shack for about $2. You can also get a cell phone vibrator there that you can solider across your speaker to make it vibrate when it finds the target. You can also get an LED there that you can soldier across your speaker that will light when it finds a target. You can specialize it jest the way you want it for a few bucks. Frank

rocksolid

Greenie
Nov 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn said:
Dustbuster, If you can handle a screwdriver job, open your HF . Turn the screw on the blue pot "small blue box" mounted on the board and you can usually double the detection distance.
I'm going to give that one a try

Frankn said:
You can also get an LED there that you can soldier across your speaker that will light when it finds a target.
I like the idea of a light instead of a noise as a indicator. Please share with us the voltage or part number of the led. If a resistor is needed, how many ohms?
Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions