Jun 15, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i love to go yard sales to antique hunt, but this find beats them all. When I walked up to the table the watch was sitting there and I did not know what kind it was but it look awesome. I got really exited, and I got more exited when I saw the price. ONLY $30. The watch case is made of silver and the silver smith was John Wintle. The hallmark declares that it is from 1798 but I've been told that the movement is older. If anyone can shed some light on this piece please let me know. Thanks! IMG_2644.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_2646.JPG IMG_2652.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 12

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is beautiful watch movements. I don't have any info for you but I love the looks. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Very cool item. Quick search returns the following: It appears the Stokes/Stoakes family were watchmakers for several generations early in 18th century and continuing up through the early 19th century. It appears that both Stokes and Stoakes were used on watches but were indicative of the same family. Read more about the Stokes family here:

The Stokes family of Clockmakers

Now, I found another earlier example of a pocketwatch similar to yours (same chapter ring actually) from 1741 signed Stoakes here:

https://auctionata.com/o/41010/silver-pocket-watch-by-john-stokes-england-1741

Now for some highlights from reputable auction houses of previously sold Stokes/Stoakes pocket watches (not all had a pic of the item sold but had just the description)

A silver repousse pair cased verge pocket watch, J. Stokes, London, No.15815, 1752, | Christie's

Antique Watches & Jewelry from Ashland Investments

Bonhams : A lot of five early pair case pocket watches (AF)

So it appears your thoughts about yours possibly being earlier than 1798 may be true. I'm guessing the assay/silver hallmarks on the outer case date newer relative to the movement itself. Probably just switching the movement into a different case.

Hope this helps a bit! Awesome find!

-Hunter

OP
OP
luke_00

luke_00

Jun 15, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info:icon_thumleft:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely fantastic find! What a beautiful watch, Congratulations.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet, I love going to yard sales as well and I would have jumped all over this, I love pocket watches.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THANKS FOR FINDING MY WATCH LUKE . I WISH. MAN THAT IS THE MOST STUNNING WATCH THAT I HAVE EVER SAW. IF YOU DONT MIND ME ASKING WHAT DID IT COST YOU. I WOULD PUT THAT BAD BOY UNDER A POCKET WATCH GLOBE WERE I COULD STARE AT IT ALL THE TIME. I ALSO WONDER WHAT IT COULD BE WORTH DAMN CANT STOP TALKING ABOUT IT FOR ITS NOT EVERYDAY YOU SEE MOVEMENTS LIKE THAT WAIT YES I DID MY EX WIFE . YOU SURE ARE LUCKY. VANZUTPHEN

OP
OP
luke_00

luke_00

Jun 15, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I PICKED THIS GEM UP FOR ONLY $30. Man DON'T YOU JUST LOVE YARD SALES

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YOU KNOW I AM THINKING TO MYSELF WELL THIS COULD BE A BANNER FIND WITH THE UNFAMILIAR MECHANISIM WORKS INSIDE THIS POCKET WATCH. THAT HAS TO BE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL DESIGN I HAVE EVER SEEN. AS I SAID IN MY POST BEFORE IT DESERVES TO BE IN A WATCH CASE. LUKE I CANNOT STOP VEIWING YOUR POST. I CANNOT IMAGINE HOW LONG IT TOOK TO ASSEMBLE THIS PEICE OF ART. I SAY BANNER BUT THATS MY THOUGHT. PLEASE NOBODY ROUGH ME UP I AM JUST SPECULATING.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LUKE YOU SAY 30.00 BUCKS FOR THIS STUNNING WATCH. I WOULD HAVE GLADLY PAID A 100.00 FOR IT EVEN IF THE PRICE WAS TO MUCH. MAN YOU ARE ONE LUCKY FELLA .

OP
OP
luke_00

luke_00

Jun 15, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i forgot to show it but it has a old piece of newspaper in in for padding and the newspaper is dated 1828

Pistareen

Greenie
Jul 29, 2010
It appears to be a key wind verge fusee movement which means it has a "chain drive." A matching watch key should be fairly easy to find. You will have to decide if it would be worth the expense of cleaning and repair. I would look for the most elderly watchmaker to work on it so that the chances are he has seen this kind of watch before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread