DownNDirty
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Jun 1, 2015
- Messages
- 2,183
- Reaction score
- 3,209
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- South Carolina
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab Equinox 800
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
- #1
Thread Owner
Since my last post I have been back to the Swamp Pit and other areas of the site twice. After discussing the site with Outdooradv (Brad) and the sifting potential of the site I decided to try an experiment before diving into the Swamp Pit. I dug a 4 foot square area and sifted the dirt with my hand sifter. I also repeatedly detected the sifted dirt and removed most of the nails and this was the result

Nothing earth shattering but not bad for a small random space-so I decided to do more sifting there in the future. So, it was back to the Swamp Pit. Due to heavy rains it was basically a pond again and I waded in and dug through the mud underwater. Once again I was forced to feel my way through the mud and glass. Plenty of black glass shards with occasional pottery pieces. Eventually I found a small area maybe three feet square that was LOADED with porcelain shards from tea cups, saucers and bowls. Apparently they dumped a large quantity of blue and white china in the pit all at once; not sure why. Here are my finds for the day

Over the next few days I reconstructed what I could of the porcelain pieces. I did not end up with any whole ones but several partials with interesting patterns.


While digging the pit I found several pieces of turtle shell; this was a first for me. Not sure if they ate the turtle and discarded the shell or used the shell for something else.

In preparation for the next dig I converted my sifter into a rocker type. Boy did it make a difference! very easy on the back, quicker sifting and it's very portable.

On the second dig most of the day was spent digging and sifting close to the plantation house site. I had attached a round magnet with 250 pounds of pull to a piece of PVC pipe to help remove the nails (another tip from Brad). After every two sifts I would run the magnet through the sift pile then detect the pile. I ended up digging, sifting and detecting four different spots with limited results. The best finds were an intact pewter cuff button and a drawer pull.


Two interesting finds were in the form of animal teeth-one from a deer and the other being part of the jaw and three teeth of a rodent, probably squirrel.


While I didn't find a lot of relics I am not discouraged. I'll be back!

Nothing earth shattering but not bad for a small random space-so I decided to do more sifting there in the future. So, it was back to the Swamp Pit. Due to heavy rains it was basically a pond again and I waded in and dug through the mud underwater. Once again I was forced to feel my way through the mud and glass. Plenty of black glass shards with occasional pottery pieces. Eventually I found a small area maybe three feet square that was LOADED with porcelain shards from tea cups, saucers and bowls. Apparently they dumped a large quantity of blue and white china in the pit all at once; not sure why. Here are my finds for the day

Over the next few days I reconstructed what I could of the porcelain pieces. I did not end up with any whole ones but several partials with interesting patterns.


While digging the pit I found several pieces of turtle shell; this was a first for me. Not sure if they ate the turtle and discarded the shell or used the shell for something else.

In preparation for the next dig I converted my sifter into a rocker type. Boy did it make a difference! very easy on the back, quicker sifting and it's very portable.

On the second dig most of the day was spent digging and sifting close to the plantation house site. I had attached a round magnet with 250 pounds of pull to a piece of PVC pipe to help remove the nails (another tip from Brad). After every two sifts I would run the magnet through the sift pile then detect the pile. I ended up digging, sifting and detecting four different spots with limited results. The best finds were an intact pewter cuff button and a drawer pull.


Two interesting finds were in the form of animal teeth-one from a deer and the other being part of the jaw and three teeth of a rodent, probably squirrel.


While I didn't find a lot of relics I am not discouraged. I'll be back!
Attachments
Last edited:


I'm really looking forward to seeing more sifting results around the house area. I meant to tell you, but I got out Monday evening and was really excited to try and find more of the two bowls I reconstructed from my last hunt. I opened the adjoining section where the shards should have been.... totally empty.
It was one of the worst hunts I've had in years. So strange how one section can have cool stuff and its dead just feet away. Stick with it man.







