A Long Way From Home

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
About 15 years ago, a good friend of Dick Savage's went through a divorce ; judge made him sell the artifacts he'd found so his wife could have half of what they were worth.

This was one of them. It was so far from home (unrecognised), it was in a frame of triangles (!) Got it for like $5 or maybe $8.

Except for the recent plough clicks on the one toe that show the darker material beneath the patinization, it's a lot more of a Type Three Hardaway than usually comes down through time.

Found at, or within a few miles of the forks of the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania. Folks from North Carolina will recognise the material :hello:

Attachments

• DSC00219.jpg
    DSC00219.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 321
Upvote 0

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awwww man..... that divorce thing made my stomach tighten!!! I have over thirty firearms (many of them old collectibles) and during my divorce, the judge tried pulling that crap. I had to agree to pay off all of our combined debt (after 20 years of marriage) in order to have her not force me to sell my 20 year collection of guns. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Bad subject >:( But about the point......... that looks awesome and the material is also found here in Virginia. Thanks for sharing this. Now.... I have to go find a rollaid! ;D ;D ;D ;D

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, the material is recognisable, I have frames full of the stuff..lol.
I would agree with it being a Hardaway but, a VA Type.
I never had the pleasure of finding any of that type.
Nice buy.

Molly.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I should have added that the left shoulder is burin-flaked off (not damaged). The patina there is the same as on the rest of it.

Once it got bevelled down that far, it was in the way.

Interesting that you recognise it as a Virginia form, Molly ! Maybe you could describe what the differences are ? (Hint) (Hint).

shopdog

Oct 20, 2008
I TO HAVE A BUDDY THATS GOING THROUGH A DIVORCE HE IS IN CENTRAL FL. TAMPA BAY AREA .THE JUDGE FORCED HIM TO SELL HIS ARTIFACTS FROM 20 PLUS YEARS OF COLLECTING . SO HIS X COULD HAVE HALF THE MONEY . BUT SHE GETS TO KEEP HER OLD DOLL COLLECTION GO FIGURE . BY THE WAY GREAT ARTIFACTS

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
When my friend Larry went thru his divorce, his wife got half of the collection, he had been collecting since he was a kid, on his families ranch...I can understand a woman wanting and deserving her fair share, but like my friend Jerry Reed says," She got the goldmine, he got the shaft..."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread