What's new

great day big bone handle and plummet /pendant

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a little damage on the bottom but that's okay. this is 1 heavy duty bone handle. Also found a pottery plummet or pendant? I'm not sure what to call it since it looks like a plummet but I've never seen a pottery one.

ForumRunner_20120812_200017.webp



ForumRunner_20120812_200106.webp



ForumRunner_20120812_200153.webp



ForumRunner_20120812_200400.webp



ForumRunner_20120812_200507.webp
 
Upvote 0
Nice finds! The pendant is outta site! Not looking in the rivers are you?!!!!!
 
Its a peat bog on a property I first got permission to hunt while installing a Fishpond for the owner.
 
Cool find. That's a large handle. What do you figure it held?
 
Awesome, pottery plummets are rare!
 
Thanks ya'll. And Twitch I imagine it held a large stone blade. Possibly whaler knife type. Seems that it would have been single notched. I didn't get a photo of the other side of the handle. I will have to post that another day. I'm stabilizing it now. There is finger grooves worn into the bone. Looks like it was used for a long time.
 
Last edited:
Tom... do you know of any other reference to pottery plummets I can find on the puter? A link or something.
 
So... I was going through my finds from the specific location of the bone handle... wanting to see if I ever found anything broken or not that looks like it would have fit. Then I came across this unfinished very large piece that just so happens to have a perfect notch and stem to fit the opening. I even found flake from that same stone with it. I know I have a big imagination but it sure seems possible that a new piece was being made for that handle and both of them were left right there. burnt wood pieces we're also found there.

ForumRunner_20120813_142205.webp



ForumRunner_20120813_142333.webp



ForumRunner_20120813_141454.webp



ForumRunner_20120813_142755.webp
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20120813_143102.webp
    ForumRunner_20120813_143102.webp
    51.9 KB · Views: 152
Those are two nice finds. I'm glad to see someone had some luck this weekend. I found pottery shards and tips. I've only seen a few plummets and they were made of stone making yours really nice to be made of pottery.
 
Thanks.. we have them made of shell..sandstone..galeana and hardstone but never saw a pottery one. I found a dubble grooved shell one not long ago.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom