My sons

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My son's

Our (adult) son came to visit for a few days. He was interested in seeing what I had found on the beach (Puget Sound), so I took him out hunting The first day we walked 2-3 miles of beach without finding anything worth keeping. He wanted to go again the next afternoon, so with old fatherly habits still in place, i was letting him lead the way (be first) on a narrow strech of beach. He suddenly stopped 12-15 feet ahead of me, and pointed down....

Attachments

• AAA Eric's Arrowhead.jpg
    AAA Eric's Arrowhead.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agate isnt it? Same type of stone as your avatar.

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting from the pacific northwest.

I used to hang out at Ivars dock and watch the seals playing in the morning. Beautiful country.

OP
OP
scepter1

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:

Agate similar to my avator, and it was found about 1/4 mile away from the one in my avator. His is better quality though, mine is a bit smaller and has a natural cavity in the base. His is 1 3/8 inches long. A special point and a special day !

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Thanks for posting from the pacific northwest.

I used to hang out at Ivars dock and watch the seals playing in the morning. Beautiful country.

I am eating there tonite!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
I have that exact point in green jasper... it was my second found point! ....a heck of a long time ago.....

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont find any made from Agate but I would like too. Mostly black flint and quartz, just a small bit made from Jasper found here in Ga. where I hunt at.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012

I'm not sure about that rock. Look at gators agatized coral. Looks pretty close. Agate can mineralized wood. Much of what we call pet wood is actually agatized wood instead. I think! Not saying this with 100% certainty. However, I'm pretty sure. If I'm wrong, I apologize and would love to know where I got mixed up. If I'm not too far off track.

OP
OP
scepter1

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Getting technical, this one is actually chalcedony. Agate is a variation of chalcedony that has lines/bands of different colors/materials in it. Yes, a lot of petrified wood is "agatized", but does not look like this -> Note how clear this one is, while agatized wood is more cloudy as it is a replacement of the wood. And most so called agatized wood doesn't actually have bands per se, rather replacement of the wood rings.

There's a lot of great quality "agatized" and opalized wood in Eastern Washington, a lot less on our Western side of the mountains and the quality usually isn't real good either.

An archy would say that this one was probably brought in from the Columbia River area, well known for it's Gem Chalcedony/Agate Points.

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Getting technical, this one is actually chalcedony. Agate is a variation of chalcedony that has lines/bands of different colors/materials in it. Yes, a lot of petrified wood is "agatized", but does not look like this -> Note how clear this one is, while agatized wood is more cloudy as it is a replacement of the wood. And most so called agatized wood doesn't actually have bands per se, rather replacement of the wood rings.

There's a lot of great quality "agatized" and opalized wood in Eastern Washington, a lot less on our Western side of the mountains and the quality usually isn't real good either.

An archy would say that this one was probably brought in from the Columbia River area, well known for it's Gem Chalcedony/Agate Points.

Thanks for the explanation! Rock and I both held a diluted version of the correct answer.

OP
OP
scepter1

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the explanation! Rock and I both held a diluted version of the correct answer.

I should also have pointed out that the backgound that my son's point is laying on is a piece of agatized wood - you can readily see the huge difference between these "agates".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread