list of treasure wrecks

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
i was thinking that with all of the treasure dreamers and salvage experts on here, that we could compile a great list of the worlds lost treasure ships, both the famous ones as well as the forgotten ones.
please include those that have been salvaged or not, and if your feeling generous you can also add any extra details that you may know about the wrecks, such as... dates, cargo, any salvage done, depth, records, site conditions, etc.
i'll start the list with a few of the obvious ones. please add a few wrecks, and keep the list going. ( sorry i don't trust my memory to give many details about these wrecks )

Atocha. ( fla. keys ) salvaged
Hussar. ( hells gate NY ) ?
DeBraak. ( Lewes del. ) ?
Egypt salvaged
Merida (maryland / VA. ) ?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just buy Galleon Hunter's book when it comes out. He spent years compiling the definitive list of shipwrecks. It is worth waiting for.

Tom

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Lobsterman and welcome to the forum. That list already exists on this forum. Just scroll down and search for it.

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Thanks for the plug Tom. Yeah, it's getting close now. I actually just sent Jason my chapter on the DR. (Text, Editing, Pictures, Introduction, Copyrighted, ISBN #'s purchased all done) Now I just need to come up with a little bit of $$ to start the publishing/printing process. We just put a bid on on a 5 bedroom house and all my cash has been disappearing faster than Jimmy Hoffa with appraisals, inspections, closing cost etc.

I am still shooting for Christmas and will keep everyone posted

treshuntintom

May 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rob,send me a pm on how much a"little bit of cash is".Gotta go to Houston tonight,be home tomorrow p.m.Later,Tom

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Rob, five bedrooms. is the family growin?

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
No more kids, but the 5th bedroom is going to house my treasure library. A fireplace on one wall, a galleon model on the mantle and the three other walls lined with book shelves and filled with treasure books. I think I died and went to heaven...I've wanted a room like that for a long time. Anyone want to drop in for some research??

Rob

OP
OP
lobsterman

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Salvor6 said:
Hello Lobsterman and welcome to the forum. That list already exists on this forum. Just scroll down and search for it.

:icon_scratch: , welcome ???? - i have been on these forums for a long time and i have not seen a list of the treasure wrecks on here and i already have an extensive collection of wreck books, i thought it would be a good thread to start on here, but apparently you all thought it would be better to clog it with irellavant crap and not even make any attempt to add any wrecks to the list. thanks for nothing >:(

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Sorry Lobsterman, didn't mean to bore you with "irrelevant crap" about my life. You asked for a list of treasure wrecks, I'll attempt to add some to your thread. First things though...do you mean REAL treasure wrecks or reputed treasure wrecks? (2 of the 5 wrecks you mentioned 40% are NOT even treasure wrecks. While the Hussar and De Braak are famous in many books on sunken treasure, the historical archival and archaeological record have pretty much proven that the great riches they allegedly carried are bogus. Very similar to the Dean Richmond lost on Lake Erie in 1893. Lots of books and lists mention a cargo of copper and gold but the wreck was found and in the end she carried nothing but what she was supposed to be...zinc. If you want a list of phoney treasure wrecks, I could name a bunch.

1831. American merchant sloop Olive Branch, 20-tons, sailing from Duluth to Fairport, Ohio carrying a cargo of general merchandise including some liquor, struck a pier while attempting to enter the harbor and sank near the mouth of the Grand River during a storm on October 6; the crew was saved. Soon after her loss, rumors began to circulate that the Olive Branch was a treasure ship. An article published in Lost Treasure Magazine not only made up her cargo, but got the date wrong. According to the article, which appeared in the February 1977 issue, the Olive Branch was carrying several tons of copper ingots, one hundred cases of Canadian whiskey and $2,000 in gold specie destined for the Cleveland Trust Bank at the time of her loss in October 1820. The author claimed to have learned about the wreck while researching old microfilm copies of the Painesville Sun at the local public library. The story concluded that although the “Olive Branch no doubt lies under several feet of mud, a salvage attempt could prove worthwhile. (This is an excerpt from the "Ghost Wreck" chapter in my book, there are many similar wrecks)

If you want a list of real treasure wrecks here are a few...

Nuestra Senora Maravilla
Nuestra Senora de Juncal
Nuestra Senora de la Concepcion (Silver Shoals)
Nuestra Senora de la Concepcion (Saipan)
Orline St. John
S.S. Republic
Central America
Brother Jonathan
S.S. New York
Nuestra Señora de Luz
Nossa Señhora da Assunção
H.M.S. Thetis
Nossa Senhora de Penha de Francia e Animas do Purgatorio
Santa María de los Remedios
Santa Leocadia
Santa María de la Consolación

OP
OP
lobsterman

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
here are a few more to add to the list. ( these are from the enclopedia of Amer. shipwrecks )

Adventure, 1699, near Montauk NY, 41-05' N 71-51' W, value 2 million +.

Augusta, British frigate, 1777, in Delaware channel off NJ,

Defense, 1779, off Bartletts reef Waterford Conn, privateer,

Empire Knight, Feb 11, 1944, war supplies ( tons of copper ) + mercury, was in litigation between 2 salvage co's., when salvage attemps blocked by the gov. due to the mercury on the site.

HMS. Faithful Steward, 1785, off Rehoboth beach Delaware,

HMS. Tilbury, 1757, Cape Breton off Louisbourg Nova Scotia

Harold, 1903, Staten sound off sewaren NJ, 7678 (80%) silver ingots have already been salvaged

Hermoine, 1782, New London Conn, Privateer

Juno, 1802, 20 mi. east of Cape May NJ, Delaware bay, depth 180',

Whittman

Oct 4, 2005
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers
Hey Lobsterman, what about Maine? I've been up to Eastport diving for bottles and have vacationed extensively up and down the coast and always thought that your State was just waiting to be explored. Most of the wrecks off NJ have been discovered unless they lay completely buried under the sand (so many draggers and commercial fishing vessels). I have to think that this is not the case up in Maine due to the rocky coastline. I remember seeing a ships binnacle that was pulled up by a fisherman in the museum on Monhegan Island and I get the feeling that there isn't very much recreational diving in Maine, especially for shipwrecks. What are your thoughts?

OP
OP
lobsterman

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Hi Whittman, yes there are thousands of wrecks off the coasts of Maine and NJ, but not so much as far as treasure wrecks go, but it all depends on your definition of treasure, even coal or old bottles have value in qty. in both states very few of the wrecks have actually been explored, a little bit of research can go a long way towards locating long forgotten wrecks, there are many books and wreck charts available from your local library or thru the inter-library loan system.

i'll add a few more from the "Encyclopedia of American Shipwrecks" by Bruce D. Berman

La Chameau 1725 Nova Scotia

La Libertie 1719 Nova Scotia

Lively 1781 off Montauk Point Long Island. NY, 14 gun Privateer, gold, depth 36'

Matilda 1876 south of Point Judith RI.

Merlin 1777 in the Delaware channel between Hog Island and the NJ coast, depth 30'

Republic 1909 40-28-40 N. 69-38-40 W., depth 185 - 225 ft., $2 million in gold

Sagunta or Sagunto 1813 isle of shoals NH., from the research i've done, i don't belive there was ever any treasure on this wreck. probably simply a tramp trader or fishing vessel

Tilbury 1757 4mi. off Cape Brenton Nova Scotia, depth 68', value $500k

U-853 1945 german sub with large cargo of mercury

Whidah 1717 off wellfleet MA. pirate ship, salvaged, despite many records and reports from the time many folks had just discredited this wreck as a myth ( boy were they wrong )

Whittman

Oct 4, 2005
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers
Funny to see wrecks like the Widah mentioned in older books and others discrediting the authors... I also believe that there are many wrecks that may have fallen through the cracks so to speak and may not be even documented in modern books

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Hey Guys,
A list of wrecks is nice, but a possible lead on their location and a date when they wrecked would prove a lot more interesting. Not knowing even the vicinity where they wrecked makes the list worthless. For example, if a ship wrecked off the North Carolina coast on such and such a date, there may be a newspaper story with info provided by survivors...and so on.
Aquanut

OP
OP
lobsterman

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
wow allen :o , thanks for the adding to the list of wrecks, thats quite the list where did you get all that info ?, do you have any books to recommend ?, that i could reference some of the wrecks with.

some day i'd like to put together a kids book of shipwrecks and treasure tales ( what better way to get young kids to want to read than true tales of treasures yet to be found :wink: ), thanks again for the info.

Whittman

Oct 4, 2005
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers
Allen,

Thanks for adding to the list. Are most of those West Coast wrecks? I've only heard of a few of them. I think there are many wrecks that may be worth a lot of money that weren't necessarily carrying "treasure" but valuable metal in bulk (brass, copper, etc.). I am more interested in these wrecks than anything else since I think that they may have not gotten all of the attention of the more spectacular "treasure" wrecks.

OP
OP
lobsterman

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Hi guys, thanks for the input, sorry i haven't been on in a few days, my computer has been acting up, ( thats probably why i can't open the link that you sent). it starts to open a new window and then closes it.
beware of a so called security program called "Windows Police Pro", it is a virus, that comes up as a legitimate looking security alert.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread